Secret to shaping up

Afternoon girls & guys,

Finished off week 2 with Resistance, really enjoyed it today, next up...week 3 :) whoop! I haven't measured yet as i'm going to wait until I finish week 6 and hopefully i'll have a nice surprise waiting for me :D xx

Hi all. I joined this forum a few weeks before Christmas but haven't posted much. I was advised to move up to 5kg weight to get some results (had just been using the tiny 5lb one!) so I started from scratch 3 weeks ago. I find the 5kg a real challenge, I do finish each workout (just done week 3 resistance) but need to take several breathers throughout

My concern is that I don't seem to be losing though - weight or inches. I'm also following SW. I might have measured myself incorrectly at the start but when I read about 7cm losses around the waist after 3 weeks, I can't believe it! I've lost less than 1/2inch (if that!). Am I doing something wrong?

Hi all :)
managed to get off work a bit earlier as i have to do a couple of hours over the weekend, so a great oportunity to catch up before Mr K gets home and turfs me off the pc!

Bostik I really hope you can get back into a healthy sleep pattern! Might be worth trying some over the counter sleep aids to get your body back into a good sleep habit, and force yourself to go to bed at a proper time so your body has to accept its bed time. Great to hear you had the energy to complete resistance :)

Shazza62 the advanced dvds will be tougher than the first set, that is not to say you couldnt do them if you have some fitness level, but if your new to exercise they could be quite demanding. You could give it a go and see how you cope. you might be able to swap with someone who is finishing the first set and are looking to move up to advanced. Let us know how you get on :)

xsarahx we can feel your cardio week 1 pain lol, just believe us when we say it gets easier from here (sort of) I can guarantee you will be burning cals, kettlebells are a high calorie burning exercise as you use a number of muscles in each move, and you get an after calorie burn even when recovering on the couch :)

Aymz yes the kettlebells are great for inch loss, and you dont need kettleworx, any good kb dvd will see those inches melting away. 5kg is a great starting weight, but I would suggest that to continue to challenge yourself you will want to increase to a 7.5kg at some point, even higher if you keep it up! What price range are you looking at spending, and i will offer some suggestions

joanne I will have to get a peak at the mag, and become a kb instructor so can take zumba down lol

ailly congrats on your engagement :) Glad to hear all the family stuff has settled down, that must have been hard going! I can appreciate your desire to want to lose the lbs on the scales, but some people do notice a slight gain or sts when starting exercise, this doesnt last long and the lbs catch up. As you start on most diets, you tend to drop quite a few lbs in the first week or so, so if you swing you could still get a loss on the scales,it just might not be as dramatic. Thats why we recommend you measure as this can be another method of seeing how well your doing. I never saw any gains or sts when I started swinging, i had been doing sw for a few months before I found out about swinging :) Did you have any gains when you first started?

Sue great to hear you got the girls under control at last lol

A1000 welcome, great to have another male swinger posting :) Have you measured and taken photos? Its a great way to see the difference in muscle tone, normaly the arms and shoulder are the first to see a difference. Please try and sort your diet out, apart from working those muscles, they need good food to build. You dont want to be burning off muscle, which is what you will be doing if your working your body as hard as the bells can work them. Dont forget to give your muscles time to repair. Very interested to hear what other dvds (I am becoming a bit of a collecter lol - keeps it interesting) you have. Are you going to follow the Fat Free in 42?? I havent known anyone do it yet, and would be interested in reviews.

Sweet Amazing results :) and only half way through! Really pleased for you x

... 7.5 on gunslingers!!! i am not surprised you can hardly move your arms lol Hope they feel better soon :) Apparently in a runners magazine there is an article that recommends kb training as an aid to running :) I havent seen it but one of the guys who runs told me as he knows I swing and is going to give it a go ;)

Trimlee great to hear your getting on with your 7.5, a few goes and it gets better :)

caroline that is one of the drawbacks with the adjustable, but if you do need to drop down in weight, just do a fewer reps, swap sides quicker. It will still work :)
twinkletoes welcome, i know you will get great results :) Hope the pain passes soon, it is a good feeling tho lol. Have you got all your stats done?

MinnieMel how did you find it? Hope you get your dvds soon. Planks are hard, but you will find that by the end you will be able to do them :) You need strong core muscles for planks and push ups, so two of the hardest exercises to do! You might need a box of tissues, theres a few planks coming up!

Fudgie your all ready to swing. I bet your legs were shot doing that move lol Hopefully the bells will be a bit more fun :) Kettleworx is the dvd set. Keep your shoulder safe when you start as you get used to teh moves

Suseka great to hear your enjoying :) and i know you will listen to your body while on vlcd, so dont try and move up too soon. You have got your targets set, so good luck, I know you cn do it!

Shona welcome, I am sure you will enjoy kw and becoming a swinger :) Let us know how you get on

Picklednut lol more a swinging nut :) It is important to give your muscles some time to repair. Do the bonus dvds on your in between days if you have to have your fix lol If you feel you would like to try with a 7.5, do it. The 5 can feel really heavy when you first start, but you are very soon able to manage more

cleogin, love those :) altho they take on a whole new meaning on my step dvd lol

Donzy back on track :) Looking forward to the next installment on the photos

Chick :) I really enjoy the balance moves, I think its because theres no jumping around involved lol

Shirleen, hows the gym going?

Sofartogo lol its so funny you hate core :) Hope you manage to fit swinging in with everything else you do, you've got to be fit to keep up with yourself!

Martin some good tips there :)
I would add to not do a full push up, just move a couple of inches, and build from there

Leapj 1/3 of the way there :) Will be looking forward to the end results

catkims your feeling challenged so it is working! and I still have to take breathers, so it shows your working hard. Are you going to post in the food diary section? There could be a number of reasons you dont feel your getting anywhere, but I am sure it will happen, your body is just being stubborn!

This must be the longest post ever!!!
I hadnt planned on replying to everyone, but then seemed rude not too lol I hope I havent miossed anyone now lol please forgive me if i have xxxx

Lol you're amazing at replying!

Bravo kron- more of an essay than a post :) you have an amazing memory?!

Catkims- just wondering where you read of the 7cm waist loss in 3 weeks? I checked back a few pages as this does seem like an amazing achievement buy can't seem to find it??? Sweet lost 1 inch from waist in 3 weeks which is 2.5 cm ( still awesome :)) anyways, as long as you are swinging with a weight that challenges you and eating a healthy balanced diet you will lose inches :) as kron says, maybe your body is just being stubborn! A food diary is a great idea too. Hang in there and good luck :)

Went to the Gym today, tried to run C25K wk2 but my knee was giving way, so I hopped on a bike and did the C25K on it...why haven't i done that before? I worked 4x harder and faster and no knee pain!

Anyway I did swing too in case you thought i was on the wrong thread!
I wrote down the Cardio exercises, I'll do Core and Resistence later, in my little book, I did about half of them (I can't even do squats, or pushups and will attempt those in private), So I used the 8kg for halos and swings and upright rows and the 4kg for the others, I'm just taking it easier as I cant risk the crippling pain I was in the first time.
Working against a body weight as high as mine is hard work too!

Anyway I am happy to report that the 8kg worked much better for the Halos, as the 4kg was far too easy. I felt it in my abs and arms, so am I doing it right?

I showed Mr Shirleen some KB moves, and he laughed at the 'gunslingers'!

:)

Shirleen jumping up to an 8 is pretty hardcore! It definitely worked if you felt the burn doing the halo :) when moving up in weight keep the reps low so you don't overdo it. squats, push ups etc, just dip a few inches and build from there. I could only manage about 4 couple inch dip push ups from my knees when I first tried
I hope you get Mr Shirleen to do some gun slingers, that will wipe away any amusement lol

I read about the 7cm loss on this thread ages back (have spent a few days reading the thread again!). It was someone's sister I think. But both you and Kron are right, so long as I'm challenging myself, the results should come!

woop woop got another 12kg - doubles here we come!

I find some exercises work better with heavier weight done slower - two handed will also be good, and some are more fast moves needed lighter so this suits me

still 24kg swings....might regret this but hey ho

Kron, what an amazing essay & an even more amazing memory!!!!! You should definitely become a KB instructor.... just look at how many of us that you have inspired to take up KB by this thread alone!!!

Wow loooonnggg post Kron. Thanks for your reply. Everywhere I look, the kettleworx dvds are about £50 or so. I can probably stretch to about £20 at the moment for some dvds but would obviously prefer free or cheap online workouts. I'm just hoping they are as successful as kettleworx as reading about the great inch loss in the first week is a great motivator!!

Aymz said:
Wow loooonnggg post Kron. Thanks for your reply. Everywhere I look, the kettleworx dvds are about £50 or so. I can probably stretch to about £20 at the moment for some dvds but would obviously prefer free or cheap online workouts. I'm just hoping they are as successful as kettleworx as reading about the great inch loss in the first week is a great motivator!!

I don't use a DVD I was lent a DVD that explained the moves, then I wrote up the Kettleworx list with a few descriptions in a notebook (looking at it gives me a breather lol)
I saw a site yday that had mini videos on how to do the swings and half get ups etc, on phone now but it was a magazine site, I think it womenshealth? If you want I'll look it up when I'm home from work after 4pm.

I think everyone is in agreement not to get the Jillian Michaels DVD!!! very poor technique.

Toothache cant sleep, typical no lie in grrrrr

meanwhile kettleworx is great (its well structured, has variation and while challenging is suitable for all even unfit to fit people). but having had another redudancy last yr - started work this week - know that its expensive. but kettleworx doesnt have a monopoly on this - try the Pat Flynn kettlebell workout on youtube (there are 2 x sessions total 20 min). only downside is having to jump video half way but its really good content - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipnFggXgeQ&feature=fvsr . then do the Power block tutotial next - dont worry about them using a Powerblock its same as kettlebell (find the video here Full Length KettleBell Workout Video - YouTube). then do the chicago workout for workout 3 (Kettlebell Exercises | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube).

not exactly replicating core, resistance and strength but its a good place and ive done some of these and they are very acceptable. make sure you warm up though. just add your own breaks (pause the vid) if too tough.

right steve cotter double bell workout here we come.....

Last edited:
Morning Martin - sorry to hear about the toothache :(. Congratulations on the new job! That's great news. :)

Joanne24 said:
:happy096:

Loving the smilies hehe. I've still not started round 2, damn! Need to get in gear. I have 3 weeks for alot of college work so Im trying to cram in as much studying as possible. Fingers crossed I can fit it in this week x

Hi Joanne, I'm starting round 2 on Monday -race you to the finish line?!

Toothache is the worst, hope you get rid of it soon!

Just finished Wk3 Core. I definitely prefer Core over the other two, I really enjoy it and it just flies by. I don't really like Resistance though, it's not that I can't do it, I can, I just get bored of it and feels a bit slow and drawn out. Do you think I could do a double Core and it work as well or do I really need to have that Resistance one as it is slightly different stuff?

Morning everyone,

Hope your toothache gets better soon Martin.

Caroline I think you probably need to do all 3 to see maximum results, although any exercise is better than none right?

I'd love to just miss out cardio and do a double resistance but I don't think the inch loss would be as good :) I think res is probably my favourite :) I'm going to get week 2 finished today with the dreaded c!!!

Also going to have a look at the booklet posted by Allan since I have some time on my hands today, thanks for the link Allan :)

I'll just have to push through and get on with it, 20 minutes isn't that bad to just keep going!

That's the spirit :)

Week 2 round 3 complete :)

The return of some old friends in cardio 2 - seated figure 8 pass and squatted jumping jacks!!! Oh and my nemesis the kettlebell hold! Managed to hold it for the full length with my 5 kg, both sets, so feeling pretty pleased :) arms are like jelly right now though as I type!

I've got cardio 2 tomorrow! Thanks for the warning :p

Back