Secret to shaping up

ok good snatch technique is vital but snatch gets great results so dont be afraid - done properly this wont cause bruises but you need to know the secrets to olympic weights to do this....I thoroughly recommend the chicago youtube approach - its a classic method.

snatch will be one of the olympic events this summer and a cornerstone of weight training. the kettlebell version is adapted and still requires the ability, strength and coordination. it will help develop explosive speed and that impacts all your training.

1. learn the Clean first. swing the weight, but dont be tempted to swing out - its not like the Swing exercise where you aim outwards, swing up and remember your knuckles to elbow is one unbroken chain. So dont break/bend your wrist keep it locked. So swing the weight with a straight arm, and as you pass your waist bend your elbow. Its this bend that differenciates this movement from a classic Swing. As you bring the weight toward your shoulder rotate your fist - your thumb should be pointing toward your shoulder. This wrist turn (remember its unbroken dont flex the wrist, rotate it) is the difference between bruises and not bruises. Remember its the ballistic movement below the waist thats driving this NOT your shoulders lifting. Watch grandad here he shows how to clean kettlebells perfectly http://www.kettlebellworks.com/kbwcleans.wmv
2. Learn press next. Clean to the racked position at the shoulder (with you hand below your chin, elbow in contact with your torso). Pause momentarily - its not about momentum. Legs straight, knees locked, press upward directly. Now good clean technique is using all your shoulders and upper back. To help, squeeze your opposite hand (some people grip squeezy balls or something similar), grip the floor with your toes, contract your quads (pull your knees up) and tighten your abs. Its this solid core that provides the foundation. If you struggle, change to a Military Press (here your heels are together as if standing to attention, and contract/squeeze your legs as you press overhead). Again watch grandad here http://www.kettlebellworks.com/kbwcleans.wmv
3. Ok from learning cleans and press move to snatch - they will benefit your technique on snatch. the Chicago video on youtube shows the classic progression in learning to use three stages to get to a snatch. first you swing the kettlebell as normal (straight arm, and out) then you do a low/high pull (so swing between your legs, then as it passes your waist bend the elbow slightly and as it gets to your shoudler pull your back a little) then go to snatch. Avoiding bruises is remembering bring your hand to the bell (sort of corkscrew your wrist round a little) at the top and to punch your hand through. Watch this dude go thru this Kettlebell Snatch Technique Tip | Kettlebell Basics

Once youve cracked this you can snatch at a real pace (I can snatch 5-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-5 both hands in under 2mins) its not strength its technique.

Sue forget to say congrats on your 18 years since meeting anniversary :)

Battery is dead in camera so charging. Mr K has gone out mumbling about me wanting to take compromising photos of him to put on the Internet on a swinging site lol

Hi All

Martin, do you have any links to the Pat Flynn & Chicago Fitness workouts? Really impressed with you doing double bells, don't think I'd be able to hold two bells in one hand without dropping them.

Kron, do you have a link to where I can buy the step and swing workout, another one I want to try. You're costing me a fortune now you've introduced me to the world of swinging LOL! Also, where do I find your before and after pics, would love to see them.

Sue, congrats in the weight loss that's a massive achievement!

Chickadee, had a look at your before and after pics, very impressive. I've just completed Week 2 and looking forward to Wk 3 starting tomorrow.

Well today I did Week 2 resistance and think it was my favourite workout so far. I managed to do it all with a 7.5kg bell apart from very last exercise so I was very impressed with myself. Also done two hours of walking today so feeling very virtuous today!

picklednut said:
Hi All

Martin, do you have any links to the Pat Flynn & Chicago Fitness workouts? Really impressed with you doing double bells, don't think I'd be able to hold two bells in one hand without dropping them.

Kron, do you have a link to where I can buy the step and swing workout, another one I want to try. You're costing me a fortune now you've introduced me to the world of swinging LOL! Also, where do I find your before and after pics, would love to see them.

Sue, congrats in the weight loss that's a massive achievement!

Chickadee, had a look at your before and after pics, very impressive. I've just completed Week 2 and looking forward to Wk 3 starting tomorrow.

Well today I did Week 2 resistance and think it was my favourite workout so far. I managed to do it all with a 7.5kg bell apart from very last exercise so I was very impressed with myself. Also done two hours of walking today so feeling very virtuous today!

Hiya check about 3 pages back for martins links, it's a real big post. X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Will be checking those links to master the snatch :)

Picklednut I got it from amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Burn-Build-DVD-Katami-Worldwide/dp/B0057J2D9A
Do you have a step? It's a toughie, he has other kb DVDs and I thought they were bad lol. The bells are well worth the money, but there again i am hooked!
I posted holiday pics on post #97 :) your getting some great exercise in, you should be very pleased with yourself

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me jumping in, I have read this post and it's really inspired me ;0)
I can't wait to get started with my kettle bell, I have the 4kg one which I think will be a good start :0)

Very inspired by you ask all, I'm onboard. What size weights do I need to buy to start with and best starter dvd.
I'm on a budget at the moment as I'm on maternity, so cheaper the better. x x

hi ya

Try this first

1. the beginning Kettlebell Basics with Steve Cotter - YouTube
2. Intro/basics Bob Harper Kettlebell Basics | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube
3. Good session Kettlebell Exercises | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube

all free and I think have as good quality content as any you will pay for. for specifics the bloke in vid 1 steve cotter has loads on youtube (I follow his encyclopoedia).

after that try kettleworx - well thought thru stuff and buy off ebay as i do!

for weights..well firstly everyone is different. any weight can be reused (bottom up style kettlebells are demanding for example and you can use lower weight). so dont think once you got a weight you wont ever use it if you progress - but i think a set is best value. vinyl type bells are great value (they are quite big tho) and my misses has the davina set from argos but tesco and some other supermarkets do them - usually 3,5,7kg which is perfect.

I train in slippers (leather, smooth, brown) and mug of tea (3/4 pint mug with earl grey) with dogs lying by my side. thats the beauty of this you can do it at home anytime. kettlebells are demanding but doable and the learning curve is quick and rewarding. its not technical. exercises are meant to be done with lighter (not massive) weights and wont build big muscle but fitness/burn calories.

have fun.

Very inspired by you ask all, I'm onboard. What size weights do I need to buy to start with and best starter dvd.
I'm on a budget at the moment as I'm on maternity, so cheaper the better. x x

Just done cardio week 2. Wasn't too bad. Them figure eights are impossible at the moment! Gonna keep working on them though lol.

MartinD said:
hi ya

Try this first

1. the beginning Kettlebell Basics with Steve Cotter - YouTube
2. Intro/basics Bob Harper Kettlebell Basics | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube
3. Good session Kettlebell Exercises | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube

all free and I think have as good quality content as any you will pay for. for specifics the bloke in vid 1 steve cotter has loads on youtube (I follow his encyclopoedia).

after that try kettleworx - well thought thru stuff and buy off ebay as i do!

for weights..well firstly everyone is different. any weight can be reused (bottom up style kettlebells are demanding for example and you can use lower weight). so dont think once you got a weight you wont ever use it if you progress - but i think a set is best value. vinyl type bells are great value (they are quite big tho) and my misses has the davina set from argos but tesco and some other supermarkets do them - usually 3,5,7kg which is perfect.

I train in slippers (leather, smooth, brown) and mug of tea (3/4 pint mug with earl grey) with dogs lying by my side. thats the beauty of this you can do it at home anytime. kettlebells are demanding but doable and the learning curve is quick and rewarding. its not technical. exercises are meant to be done with lighter (not massive) weights and wont build big muscle but fitness/burn calories.

have fun.

Is Earl grey optional? I only really like PG tips, double bag and a drip of milk!
My slippers aren't leather either, should I borrow my sisters Dobermans? I'm a KB. Failure really! Lol ;)

Very interested to hear what other dvds (I am becoming a bit of a collecter lol - keeps it interesting) you have. Are you going to follow the Fat Free in 42??

Hi Kron,

So far (!) I've obtained:

Kettleworx (obviously!)
Steve Maxwell - 300 Kettlebell Challenge
Bob Harper Kettlebell Sculpted Body
Mike Mahler - Kettlebells Aggressive Strength
Skogg Kettlebells Workout - Roots
Iron Core (Sarah Lurie) Vol 1, 2 & 3

Have tried the Bob Harper one in the past and couldn't walk for a week! Not tried the rest yet, going to concentrate on getting the 6 week workouts done with Kettleworx and then try some others.

Don't think i'll be doing the fat free in 42 either at the moment, seem to remember reading in it that even Ryan says its not a long term diet. I'd rather focus on healthy eating as a way of life rather than a short term thing!!

Alan

MartinD said:

have fun.

Martin, thanks for all the sound technical sports advice you give. What with your info on form and technique and the principles and science of exercise, I very nearly concluded that you are an undercover fitness trainer -but then your slippers and tea say you're just an exerciser like the rest of us!! :)

Morning all! I'm excited, started round 2 this morning and aim to use my 7.5 as much as I can.
The scales and inches are not quite moving along but I'll show them!!!
Have a great day everyone :)

OMG - This thread moves so fast.

BTW -- I PM'd one of the mods and asked if they could start a KB forum (like the Zumba) so that we could start a "links" only thread, "equipment", a "reviews" thread, "photos, inches and pounds" thread -- etc and also keep this one going (but, perhaps, copied and repost information on a specific thread to make it easier to find).

Hi Peeps - not wanting to show off or anything (you know this is not true :)) but I lost 3lbs this week which means I have now got rid of 4.5 stone! Get me :D

Awesome!

And, you too, Sweet Pink (for your eariler loss.

I took a few days off because I did KB on Thursday, then went to aquafit. The regular instructor was on holiday and the supply did the most difficult arm focus I have ever done in over 10 plus of years fo doin aquafit (including classes in Germany!). It was painful to lift my arms up high enough to brush my teeth... I help the brush steady and moved my head back and forth! ;)

Anyway, three days have passed and I am still a wee bit sore, but I think I can manage. So, I'll be back using the intro DVD that came with my Bell. I am still waiting on the two Kettleworx I have ordered from the U.S. -- and I have sourced the three others I want -- and will order those once I have been using these for a bit.

Thought ya'll might like this:

0_0_0_0_250_117_csupload_31578637.jpg

Does it bother anyone else that Ryan doesn't do even sets of things when it's focusing on one side? Like in the cool down, the side lunge thing, he does it for 3 seconds to the left and then to the right and holds it longer while he talks. Or the half get ups, I think he does 3 on one side and 7 on the other. I've spotted quite a few things like that. Thankfully now though I know and I adapt it so that I do equal amounts on both sides but it does bug me! It means you'd be training one side practically double the amount of the other and surely that's not a good thing.

It is a bit of a pain to begin with isnt it but now I know the exercises I tend to know how many reps I usually fit in each side so just go with that

caroline there are a couple of moves that are uneven, but you tend to get know them and can adapt accordingly, you can figure out how many you need to do in the time given

I think I need to swing for about 7 hours to even make a slight dent in my so off plan day yesterday!!! So will be having a good swing today :)

There is nothing wrong with the odd day off plan so long as you enjoyed it :D I'm looking forward to an off plan day in the middle of february for my youngests birthday. I won't go mad & know I will probably up the exercise that week to make up for it but its nice to rebel against the plan once in a while :D

Morning all - firstly thanks for all the good wishes and comments on my weight loss. Much appreciated. Well Wk5 advanced started this morning with Cardio. Only one new move which was a sort of core rower / seated ab twist variation. It was fine once the balance issues were sorted out. Apart from that the session was manageable but like any Cardio session I always feel the burn and get very sweaty. Mr Sue is up there now doing his wk2 Cardio. He's enjoying it and the fact that I'm sticking to it is making him determined. He can't have me being better at something like this!! :)

Had a treat day yesterday and had a full breakfast with haggis and then two cheese scones with dairylea for tea. Probably not everyone's idea of a treat but OMG did it taste yummy. Back to plan today and for the rest of the week.

Catch you all later. Hope everyone has a good Sunday. xx

Sue, both you & Mr Sue are going great. I have been on at my hubby to give it a go so he says he will. I know he tried once before but his commitment to exercise is hopeless & rather annoyingly he never puts on weight!!! :mad: I will torture him with week 1 cardio though :p

Guys can be a bit strange lol Mr Kron has dropped about 5-6 inches of beer belly, he was an extremely tight muffin topped 36 waist trousers, now comfortably in a 32 and will most probably be in a 30 before too long :) he still wears his old trousers with a belt for some reason, I keep telling him to chuck them out, but I think he likes showing me how big they are now lol

I still have my starting trousers too though I dont wear them anymore coz I can almost fit into one of the legs!!!!!:D:D:D

Well thats week 4 resistance done & dusted with my 7.5kg this morning. I think I am enjoying the programme more than ever this time round especially now my inch loss is starting to show. I'm comfortably back into my 12's & my mum even commented yesterday that I was starting to look 'skinny' again!!! (she really needs her eyes testing though coz I am nowhere near skinny!!!! lol) Still I took it as a compliment. My clothes are again starting to feel looser which is great but I'm going to try to make do until the spring & then treat myself to a nice new summer wardrobe :D

MinnieMel said:
OMG - This thread moves so fast.

BTW -- I PM'd one of the mods and asked if they could start a KB forum (like the Zumba) so that we could start a "links" only thread, "equipment", a "reviews" thread, "photos, inches and pounds" thread -- etc and also keep this one going (but, perhaps, copied and repost information on a specific thread to make it easier to find).

What a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Would be great to have a separate forum with different threads on pics / links etc as suggested above. Who do we contact? Xx

Back