Secret to shaping up

Sots - the devils own revenge for exercise, named after vicktor sots a russian who should know better than make my back ache

- swing to racked position
- now go to a deep squat, legs below parallel at least
- back is straight
- now from this low squat press weight above head until arms straight and then return arms to racked position and repeat pressing up
- learn them by doing overhead press, seated military press and deep squats

MartinD said:
Sots - the devils own revenge for exercise, named after vicktor sots a russian who should know better than make my back ache

- swing to racked position
- now go to a deep squat, legs below parallel at least
- back is straight
- now from this low squat press weight above head until arms straight and then return arms to racked position and repeat pressing up
- learn them by doing overhead press, seated military press and deep squats

Ok....I'm not doing them....lol!

HI everyone, I have read a bit of this thread but I am so impressed/impatient and need to ask a couple of questions please. Feeling a bit carried away like an excited puppy, Kron and friends, your enthusiasm is infectious....:D

I am just starting out on my weight loss journey (again). Female, 5ft 1in tall and weighing over 15 stone, my bodyshape is similar to a heavily pregnant lady with rock bottom fitness :eek: I love the idea of getting quick results with kettlebells but is this something I should leave until I have lost a few stone just for the final toning? I am guessing my big belly will be in the way of twisting into some of the postitons for kb`ing. I can see myself putting my back out if I am not careful!

Also I have a slight prolapsed bowel and been told not to do any heavy lifting. If I stick to KBs that are only 2 or 3 kgs would I still get results?
Is there anyone on here whose is very overweight or who sticks to low weight Kbs for any reason? If so I would love to hear how you are getting on.

So far I have a cross trainer and some fitness DVDs plus waiting for delivery of a rebounder. I do have some free weights so could I maybe improvise these with the KB exercises for now?

Thanks in advance,
BK

kettlebells will help anyone get fit and lose weight. however its only a % of the work you need, diet is the major factor

You can adapt exercises - dont take risks its all sensible stuff. the key thing is not over stretching and keeping your back straight. often body weight alone is enough to start many exercises with and get good form then add weight

your bowel issue ought to be considered tho. kettlebells work as you need to use large groups of muscles inc abdomen. the swinging and shift of centre of gravity make the work. Id ask your doc and perhaps try some sessions with a personal trainer to check your form.

using very light kb is not a problem dont compare yourself to anyone else (its a personal battle not a public one to get fit). dumbells dont have quite the same effect doing kettlebell exercises but will still be highly useful doing dumbell exercises.

HI everyone, I have read a bit of this thread but I am so impressed/impatient and need to ask a couple of questions please. Feeling a bit carried away like an excited puppy, Kron and friends, your enthusiasm is infectious....:D

I am just starting out on my weight loss journey (again). Female, 5ft 1in tall and weighing over 15 stone, my bodyshape is similar to a heavily pregnant lady with rock bottom fitness :eek: I love the idea of getting quick results with kettlebells but is this something I should leave until I have lost a few stone just for the final toning? I am guessing my big belly will be in the way of twisting into some of the postitons for kb`ing. I can see myself putting my back out if I am not careful!

Also I have a slight prolapsed bowel and been told not to do any heavy lifting. If I stick to KBs that are only 2 or 3 kgs would I still get results?
Is there anyone on here whose is very overweight or who sticks to low weight Kbs for any reason? If so I would love to hear how you are getting on.

So far I have a cross trainer and some fitness DVDs plus waiting for delivery of a rebounder. I do have some free weights so could I maybe improvise these with the KB exercises for now?

Thanks in advance,
BK

I'm 18 stone and look pregnant front and back from a side view (i look fairly svelte front view) lol !

Alot of the exercises swings etc use major muscle groups as Martin says, but they also use your body weight as squats and lunges do. So you need to take that into account before you do too much, build ip gradually to avoid pain and injury, experts say 10% at a time, so if you do nil exercise now your first session should only last a few minutes, the second 10% more etc.

I could be wrong but I reckon strengthening your core may be beneficial to your bowel prolapse, making you less likely to strain. Please check with a physio/doctor first. Take in a YouTube video of Kettlebell exercises, as not everyone has heard of them.
Happy Swinging!

Thanks in advance,
BK

I think Martin & Shirleen have given you great advice & definitely check with you GP first but I'm sure you will really enjoy KB. The great thing is that you can work at your own pace with whatever size of KB suits you & you will still see results. When I first started I used a 2kg & was surprised at how quickly I progressed. As Martin says the weight you use is a very personal thing & with KB's its form that is the most important thing. If youre following a DVD like kettleworx there is always the pause button to give you a breater :)

Good luck & hope to see you swinging soon :)

Well fellow swingers thats week 5 cardio done & it was definitely a proper cardio workout. I'm feeling slightly under the weather (a combination of a cold working on me & being up all night with my eldest daughter whose tonsolitis has flared up again :() so found it challenging enough which in a way was nice. I did drop to my 5kg for the 2nd set of KB punches remembering the pain I was in the last time after them & the gunslingers with the 7.5 & also what Martin had said about the smaller muscle groups.

My eldest loves watching me doing KB & says she wants to do that when shes bigger (shes only 6) Mind you the muscle tone she has in her abs already is sickening though she does 3 dance classes a week plus 45 minutes a day practise on top of that :eek: When shes practising at home I actually join in with her for her stretches as I find they really help any achey muscles (her ballet teacher had a good giggle at that when she told her mummy joins in!!!! lol :eek:) Anyway I was wondering is there a recommended age for them to have a go with a tiny weight or is it something best left to adults??

sweet pink said:
Well fellow swingers thats week 5 cardio done & it was definitely a proper cardio workout. I'm feeling slightly under the weather (a combination of a cold working on me & being up all night with my eldest daughter whose tonsolitis has flared up again :() so found it challenging enough which in a way was nice. I did drop to my 5kg for the 2nd set of KB punches remembering the pain I was in the last time after them & the gunslingers with the 7.5 & also what Martin had said about the smaller muscle groups.

My eldest loves watching me doing KB & says she wants to do that when shes bigger (shes only 6) Mind you the muscle tone she has in her abs already is sickening though she does 3 dance classes a week plus 45 minutes a day practise on top of that :eek: When shes practising at home I actually join in with her for her stretches as I find they really help any achey muscles (her ballet teacher had a good giggle at that when she told her mummy joins in!!!! lol :eek:) Anyway I was wondering is there a recommended age for them to have a go with a tiny weight or is it something best left to adults??

My Dorts boyfriend builds muscle without weights using natural resistance, so she could join in without a weight? As she's only six how about her own 'bell' with a little handbag? Be safer against knocks too. I wouldn't let her use weights yet. Perhaps give her milk to drink during the little workout to give her energy and calcium too.

Hi Sweet - she'll be able to use the wee yellow kettleworx bell. Bless her.

My Dorts boyfriend builds muscle without weights using natural resistance, so she could join in without a weight? As she's only six how about her own 'bell' with a little handbag? Be safer against knocks too. I wouldn't let her use weights yet. Perhaps give her milk to drink during the little workout to give her energy and calcium too.

Thats a fab idea Shirleen. Thanks. It was her knocking herself that I was worried about. She usually gets a bowl of porridge & berries after her dance practises made entirely with milk as I often worry about her getting enough for the amount of energy she burns especially at her age with her growing too. :)

Hi Sweet - she'll be able to use the wee yellow kettleworx bell. Bless her.

I was thinking more like a sponge one or something!!!!! lol :D

Oooooh you can buy upholstery foam and carve it with an electric knife lol!

Last edited:
That might be an idea!!!!! lol At least if she falls out with her sisters noone gets hurt!!!!:eek:

Hi everyone- Hope all is well and you are all enjoying swinging!
I think that Kettlebells is the only exercise that I have done where I actually enjoy working out- everything else just seems so monotonous. Plus the fact that its only 20 mins at a time, now is it me or does the time seem to go really fast? One minute I'm doing the deadlift or the swing and when I look back at my watch the 20 mins is almost up!

On a side note, did you all hear about the woman in China who gave birth to a 15.5lbs baby? :eek:
Whilst I was at work it occurred to me that that is almost the equivalent of me giving birth to my 7.5kg kettlebell!! :eek::eek:
Ouch!

Hi everyone- Hope all is well and you are all enjoying swinging!
I think that Kettlebells is the only exercise that I have done where I actually enjoy working out- everything else just seems so monotonous. Plus the fact that its only 20 mins at a time, now is it me or does the time seem to go really fast? One minute I'm doing the deadlift or the swing and when I look back at my watch the 20 mins is almost up!

On a side note, did you all hear about the woman in China who gave birth to a 15.5lbs baby? :eek:
Whilst I was at work it occurred to me that that is almost the equivalent of me giving birth to my 7.5kg kettlebell!! :eek::eek:
Ouch!

OUCH!!!!!!

I'm finding this time especially the time is going soo quickly. I've been adding the odd set of fast abs or fast fab burn onto the end of mine sometimes when time allows :)

my son is 14 and only now allowed any weight and thats small

its damage to ligaments and non-repairable tissue that the problem. body weight is fine and works well. I used to do sit ups with my kids in my hands and got them joinin in stretches and non weight stuff (they used to call it 'sizes which is really sweet).

Can she have a list of your exercises and count them out for you only joining in with the appropriate ones? still she is getting to see what good habits are the best education ever

my son is 14 and only now allowed any weight and thats small

its damage to ligaments and non-repairable tissue that the problem. body weight is fine and works well. I used to do sit ups with my kids in my hands and got them joinin in stretches and non weight stuff (they used to call it 'sizes which is really sweet).

Can she have a list of your exercises and count them out for you only joining in with the appropriate ones? still she is getting to see what good habits are the best education ever

Thanks Martin, great advice as always. I think its the novelty of joining in that she likes but my concern is her doing everything safely. Maybe the best idea would be what you suggest & have a list of more suitable exercises just for her & make it that bit special that me & her can do together with a soft ball & a made up handle!!!! Love that!!!! One of those foam ones would be ideal!!! :)

mmm foam kettlebell -i want one

another double session, going thru the techniques. my forearms were like a stevedores but 30 mins of this is fully knackering

might treat myself to a pair of 16kg next

Not actually sure if i'm allowed to post this, but if not, let me know and i'll take if off!

Ive seen a few people buying kettlebells through Tesco direct.....if you go through this site (its a cash back site) you'll get a further 5% cashback at the moment! Link is here(& yes, i get a reward if you go through this link, which is why im not sure if im allowed to post! Let me know)

Top CashBack Official Site - The UK's #1 CashBack Site

I'd also recommend joining Netflix through this site - you'll currently get £12 with one month free, so join and then cancel and it'll offset some of the cost of Kettleworx DVDs!) money for nothing!!!!

Alan

Evening All - well pleased to report Round 1 Advanced done. Finished with Resistance and just had to adapt one of the exercises to accommodate my poorly toe. Two more new ones introduced which seems a bit of a waste on Wk6 but never mind!

I'll be doing my measuring on Saturday morning as Mr Sue and his trusty tape measure aren't about at the moment but for now here's my thoughts on the Advanced.

A great addition to the KW programme and I reckon it introduced another 15 or so new moves. Some of them were a variation of more familiar moves, just made a bit more challenging, and others were completely new. A couple of very frankly random additions which felt a bit like Ryan was either having a laugh or running out of ideas, but all in all I liked the variety.

The format is exactly the same and uses the same warm up and cool down. I like that. It means I can go on auto-pilot for the warm up and I'm always soooo pleased to see the Cool Down I couldn't give a monkeys if its the same one over and over again or not! :)

For me I felt Advanced was a game of two halves, to coin a football term. Wks 1-3 inc. felt like I was sailing through, even with some of the more challenging moves. BUT Wk4 I found a total killer. The pace suddenly really picked up and I was totally knackered. I haven't felt like giving in part way through the first set of Core since the early days of KW, but Wk4 Core got to me big style. Wk5 seemed to follow suit although Wk6 seemed to calm down a bit.

But I liked it and will carry on with it. My goal is to be able to use my 7.5kg for the one-handed moves and move up to my 10kg for the rest but it will take time which is fine. I also plan to "double-bell" the disco side bends as Sweet Pink is having a go at this and getting good results. That's what I love about the bells, you can make it as challenging as you want.

So its a good addition and I think cost around £35 for the set. Definately money well spent. I'm glad that I started on the standard set as I think psychologically i got more of a kick moving up to the Advanced. Also I think it widens your knowledge so I know a good range of substitutes for exercises which has really helped in this last week when I broke my toe and had to do a bit of adapting.

In summary, a good addition to the collection and anyone who loves swinging is going to love this set as well. Now I'm off to give myself a mahooosive pat on the back! :D

Back