Secret to shaping up

Yeah, I'm just calorie counting to 1300 calories a day. I've always lost about an average of 2lbs a week whilst doing that but they've definitely slowed whilst I've been doing KW. But then my inch loss has gone up. Though I realised today that last week I lost 1.5lbs instead of the 0.75lbs that I thought, so I've lost 6lbs in 4 weeks, which is 1.5lbs a week on average so I'm not actually as far off as I thought. My scales have suddenly decided to start giving me a H2O reading which is strange seeing as it's had an error from the very first day I bought it! It was 43%, should be 50-60% for women so I need to up my water! Maybe that'll help. I might start weighing myself every morning with the H20 reading and try to get it up to about 55%, see if that helps with my losses at all.

Oh that's better then. My average weight loss is 1.7lbs per week so we're about the same.

Your scales sound very exciting! Mine are just bog standard digital ones and they don't even do 1/2 pounds! The water info sounds good. I struggle to get 2litres a day of plain water, but if tea counts as well then I'm probably not far off.

You sound like you're doing ok to me and the inch loss is also steady for you too. Keep going chuck. :) x

I'm alright with that now, I thought I was averaging about 1lb a week, 1.5lbs a week is fine with me. I'll take that with inch loss any day! I do like my scales! They should have been £50 but were reduced down to £25 and I had a £10 argos voucher so I bought them. I had to program them with my height, age and fitness level and then I can either just weigh myself or do a full weigh in (which I do once a week) and it'll give me my weight, BMI, how much body fat I have (in stones and lbs), my body fat % and my H2O%. Strangely, H2O never worked but suddenly is, I'm not sure whether maybe it's because I changed the battery and it's a better one than the one that came with it, maybe I don't know. It really helps me having that info though because sometimes I'll see my weight come down by say 0.5lb but I'll see that my body fat has actually dropped by 2lbs so it definitely helps keep me going!

Caroline I ai to drink 3 litres of water on any days that I'm exercising & for me usually when the ache stops the lbs start shifting. I eat a balance of protein & carbs but I do eat a lot of slow release carbs like porridge, brown rice & wholemeal pasta as these apart from anything else keep me fuller for longer. I know you have said in the past that you dont eat back your exercise calories so I'm wondering if maybe youre not eating enough? Youre average losses are good though so dont worry too much :)

Just done my WI, 1.25lbs this week which I'm ok with. I tried eating back more of them but then didn't have a great loss. Maybe I need to try for a bit longer. I might try this week and next to eat them back. Really appreciate the advice, thanks.

The kettlebell mums vid is deceptively easy!
Definitely worked the inner thighs and abs, which is good for me! Going to give it another go tonight, can't go to the gym as the arthritis is in my knee is so bad it's even stopping me sleeping! Driving makes it worse too.

I got grooves in my biceps! I can now tell where my biceps end and my bingo wings start lol!!

The kettlebell mums vid is deceptively easy!
Definitely worked the inner thighs and abs, which is good for me! Going to give it another go tonight, can't go to the gym as the arthritis is in my knee is so bad it's even stopping me sleeping! Driving makes it worse too.

I got grooves in my biceps! I can now tell where my biceps end and my bingo wings start lol!!

Hi Shirleen - sorry about your arthritis. Sounds horrid. Impressed you're still swinging though. I shall check out the Mums session. I could do with some additional help on my inner thighs. The rest of my legs are pretty toned but I have a couple of real trouble spots which look :eek:.

Loving the biceps/bingo wings comment. :D When I flex my arms everything underneath tightens up and it looks great. Then I relax and that bloody flappy bit is there again! And I don't even play bingo :D :D

Hi Spangle - if you have the Introduction DVD in your collection then I would recommend you watch that and have a go along with it to try and get used to the form for the main swings. The example workout on it at the end is actually week 1 Cardio by the way.

Take your time, focus on your form with a lighter bell to start with and you will be so surprised how quickly you progress. This is a marathon and not a sprint so don't get too hung up over who is using what weight etc. Just do what's right for you. You will know when you are not being challenged enough and the time to move up a weight. Also most of us use a selection of weights for different types of exercises so don't think you have to hold back until you've mastered everything with one weight before you think about using a slightly heavier one.

Good luck. The results speak for themselves if you keep plugging away. :)
Thanks Sue, I am so excited about getting started, although recovering from bronchitis at the mo, and haven't got back into exercise fully yet, but will watch the Introduction DVD later today.
What always confused me before was that they seemed to be standing one moment then doing a floor exercise the next, but there was no way that I could have kept up wuth the DVD if I had to get up and down... so to speak.

Caroline I ai to drink 3 litres of water on any days that I'm exercising & for me usually when the ache stops the lbs start shifting. I eat a balance of protein & carbs but I do eat a lot of slow release carbs like porridge, brown rice & wholemeal pasta as these apart from anything else keep me fuller for longer. I know you have said in the past that you dont eat back your exercise calories so I'm wondering if maybe youre not eating enough? Youre average losses are good though so dont worry too much :)

Morning Sweet - sound advice as ever. I don't track or use any of my "activity" points with WW. I do sometimes wonder if I am eating enough though. I think I might see a nutritionist or some such person when I've shifted as much weight as I can to try and get some good eating habits going which will do me for life. I'm just terrified of putting the weight back on. I think I've pretty much mastered portion control though so that's going to help. :)

Thanks Sue, I am so excited about getting started, although recovering from bronchitis at the mo, and haven't got back into exercise fully yet, but will watch the Introduction DVD later today.
What always confused me before was that they seemed to be standing one moment then doing a floor exercise the next, but there was no way that I could have kept up wuth the DVD if I had to get up and down... so to speak.

Hi Spangle - there is quite a bit of getting up and down which bugs me too! But that's what your pause button is for and its useful to take a quick breather. :)

Hope it goes well but don't tire yourself out if your chest is still a bit iffy.

Hi Spangle - there is quite a bit of getting up and down which bugs me too! But that's what your pause button is for and its useful to take a quick breather. :)

Hope it goes well but don't tire yourself out if your chest is still a bit iffy.

Thanks for that, I thought it was just me.
I had even wondered about writing the routine down or trying to learn it as it seems to repeat and then just having a go myself..... but now once I start the pause button will be nearby .

Morning Sweet - sound advice as ever. I don't track or use any of my "activity" points with WW. I do sometimes wonder if I am eating enough though. I think I might see a nutritionist or some such person when I've shifted as much weight as I can to try and get some good eating habits going which will do me for life. I'm just terrified of putting the weight back on. I think I've pretty much mastered portion control though so that's going to help. :)

Thats why I like SW.. if youre hungry eat!!!! lol Nothing too complicated!!! I do however notice that I eat slightly more on my exercise days though so my body must obviously need it. I suppose its just making sure that you're reaching for the right things first.

Thanks for that, I thought it was just me.
I had even wondered about writing the routine down or trying to learn it as it seems to repeat and then just having a go myself..... but now once I start the pause button will be nearby .

Definitely keep the pause button to hand when you start & dont try to worry about keeping up as form is the most important thing. You wont be long familiarising yourself with the exercises so its definitely a good idea to watch them through until youre ready to get going :)

Hi guys! After reading and re-reading this thread LOADS of times, I've finally decided to order the kettleworx dvds! You all seem to be flying - I've lost some tone since Oct when I finished with a personal trainer and I've put on 10 pounds since falling off the SW wagon. So this could be my kick in the ass! My Kelly Holmes kettlebell has been gathering dust and holding open the door since I bought it in Oct, so time to get it out!
Kron, you're such an inspiration! Can I ask where your before and after photos are? Remember them from before, need some more motivation - they'd be perfect if they're still on the site, can't find them now.
So, just awaiting delivery...
Can I ask you all - did you find that the kettleworx worked on your hips and thighs? That's my most stubborn area!!
Grrrrrrrr.....

Hi Joanne - welcome to the Swingers Club! I too am well endowed in the boob department - 36HH and I have finally found a sports bra that holds them in place - its an Enell. You can find them on boobydoo.com (cheapest place). I did a mini review on here you'll be able to find. I think the thread was called Sports bras for big boobs! I can now do jumping jacks properly instead of having one arm clamped across my chest all the time! :)

Thanks will look into getting the enell bra as I do need something to keep them in place.

Week 5 Cardio done :) Found it tough tonight and I simply could not do those burpees :eek: I'm really trying hard to stick with the 10lb bell, but had to swop back to the 3kg for the boxing punches (my arms were fit to drop).

I look forward to the day (maybe by the end of round 2 or 3) when I can keep up with the pace, do all the moves (without having to modify) and all with the 10lb kb (or even heavier....now that would be something).

Heard today that my DS is coming to visit next weekend, with my new (4 month old) baby granddaughter (am so excited) -and I'm hoping that he'll notice the difference in my size and shape, from when I saw him last October.

So that's my new motivation - I just need to bring forward my routine a little so I can complete week 6 before he arrives.

Some thoughts on grips

1. I wear gloves - always have done - helps with grips plus the bell slides better. I have baby soft hands even without fairy liquid
2. If gloves are no good use powder. you could use stuff from a weights shop, mountain climbing shop or talc and smell lovely at the same time. you will get better grip
3. Ive been relaxing my hand more so when I dont need a firm grip my hand is open, such as for snatch once the weight is moving my hand opens
4. Dont grip too hard such as thru swings, be confident with using your body
5. Grip shape changes across kettlebells, my marcy is different from my bodymax; the marcy is wider and narrower; avoid square type grips like reebok
6. do some grip strength exercises, check out john brookfield who trains pro sports people but is renowned for grip strength technique (ive got one of his dvds, and im sure he is on youtube)
Morning All - well its my week off between rounds but you know how those bells call! :) Just done a 10 min fast fat burn all with my 10kg. I am dripping in sweat and shaking. Managed it and didn't even have the energy to swear at Ryan when he was "Lets Turbo-charging"! It was all I could do to stand up and keep going. Definately going to use this bell on Round 5 for the two handed swings and squats as I think I can manage that. As for doing a full 20 mins with it - ha ha ha!

The only thing I found a bit tricky is that I have small hands so holding the bell in a bell grip was very difficult as my hands were struggling to fit round it with a decent grip so it didn't go flying. Maybe a gap in the market for heavier but more petite lady-bells?! :)

Will do another 10 min session with it after work on Thursday and then start Round 5 on Sunday. No rest for the wicked, eh!

Cheers Martin. Its just the bell hold I was struggling with as my hands are too small to fit round the bell. The actual handle hold for swings etc was fine. I might well try a pair of gloves just to see if that helps. :)

just bought a pair of new 16kg bells - super big doubles yay.

i got competition bells as a) bigger handles, better clearance and no wrist slaps b) these are yellow and my current bells are yellow, and Mrs D wont notice as ill just replace them with my new bells and then she wont know i just spent a fortune.... so sshhh no telling

Aldi are selling the iron cast kettlebells by the way. I didn't note all the prices but they have 2.5kg, 5kg and 7.5kg and it was £5.99 I think for the 5kg. Think I might get one for gun slingers etc. for round 2, only got one week left then going back to the beginning with 7kg from the start.

I'm back.... I'm now another half a stone HEAVIER *cry*

I let myself slip... :( but I'm back with a vengance now.

Week 1 core tonight

Back