Secret to shaping up

NicoleW said:
I'm back.... I'm now another half a stone HEAVIER *cry*

I let myself slip... :( but I'm back with a vengance now.

Week 1 core tonight

But you are back, so go for it!! :)

Rd 2 Wk 3 cardio done. Also did 20 mins of kettlebell mums from The Active channel 281.

trimlee said:
Rd 2 Wk 3 cardio done. Also did 20 mins of kettlebell mums from The Active channel 281.

My inner thighs and abs have only just recovered from the KB mums one, I think it was the superset of cleans that did it lol!
The filming of it made me laugh; lots of continuity errors,(I'm such a nerd) and the people exercising in the next room having a gawp!

Has anyone done Kettleworx with a knee problem? I've got a dodgy knee that's appeared the past few weeks and I spoke to the doctor today about it. He's given me physio to try and see if they help, he told me not to stop exercising but to be careful with what I do and to give swimming a try. I really don't want to have to stop doing Kettleworx as I'm really enjoying it and it's working but I did find yesterday that my knee was getting a little uncomfortable with Wk5 Resistance. So I was just wondering if anyone's done KW or general kettlebell stuff with a dodgy knee and what did you do to help it? I'm wondering about maybe getting a support. Not sure if I can modify the exercises in some way, like squats etc., that use my knees. Maybe just not go as low and do fewer reps. I don't know. Any advice appreciated!

Well thats week 6 cardio done despite feeling very under the weather!!! I probably should have waited but wanted to get it done but I have to admit it was a struggle despite dropping to the 5kg for the 2nd set. I'm hoping to do a bit on the crosstrainer later too but will have to see how I feel (though admittedly I do find it a breeze in comparison to KW!!! :eek:)

Caroline, I'm not sure what to suggest other than like you say maybe modifying the exercises that you know causes your knee pain. Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to continue :)

Sue, a 10kg!!!!! I'm impressed!!!! :D

Martin, I thought it was only us women that hid our purchases from our other halfs????? ;)

caroline g said:
Has anyone done Kettleworx with a knee problem? I've got a dodgy knee that's appeared the past few weeks and I spoke to the doctor today about it. He's given me physio to try and see if they help, he told me not to stop exercising but to be careful with what I do and to give swimming a try. I really don't want to have to stop doing Kettleworx as I'm really enjoying it and it's working but I did find yesterday that my knee was getting a little uncomfortable with Wk5 Resistance. So I was just wondering if anyone's done KW or general kettlebell stuff with a dodgy knee and what did you do to help it? I'm wondering about maybe getting a support. Not sure if I can modify the exercises in some way, like squats etc., that use my knees. Maybe just not go as low and do fewer reps. I don't know. Any advice appreciated!

Squats and swings will strengthen your quads and help support your knee just take it easy and perhaps do slow squats instead of lots of them x

Shirleen said:
My inner thighs and abs have only just recovered from the KB mums one, I think it was the superset of cleans that did it lol!
The filming of it made me laugh; lots of continuity errors,(I'm such a nerd) and the people exercising in the next room having a gawp!

Oh am so glad wasn't just me aching from it. That super set was good thou!! Definitely gonna do that workout again!

Hi all :)

I have been given some dvds, and had a quick flick through to find i have two sets of kb workout dvds. I dont need them so was going to offer to lend them if interested.

Have a google for further info, I posted the links as they had reviews on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Beginners-Kettlebell-Amy-Bento/dp/B001P5YIQQ A good one as a starter to kb so only a couple of moves, but it made me warm up! This is too beginner for me, so I wont get use out of it. It has a lot of non bell cardio moves in between the bell moves, so it works you hard

The Kettlebell Way To Your Perfect Body Volume 1 DVD: Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors I dont rate celebrity exercise dvd but then Anthony Diluglio (master kb guy :)) popped up! The workout is the Art of Strength Providence one which is a highly recomended workout. I have this one already with just Anthony, so surplus to my requirements :) It can be a bit hard but doable

pm me if interested

Will be back later, I have some catching up to do :)

I have that Amy Bento DVD, it's good for a starting point I think

Erm...finally got round to doing resistance week 5! It must have been over a week since the last session :eek:.

On the plus side we bought a treadmill at the weekend and it was delivered Monday afternoon so even though I haven't done my kb workouts I have at least done some exercise. Today I did both :)

Just 3 more workout until I've finished round 1. It will have taken a couple of weeks longer than planned but hey ho. Next round I WILL do in 6 weeks!

Yup I have a ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears, meniscus tears, and medial ligament damage in right knee. Told I knee a rebuild. Yeah right...

So I saw the bloke who is the leading surgeon and put back Matt Dawsons knee. He played a world cup after he fixed it. He did some local surgery but told me avoid swimming (unchained exercise - basically a kick in the pool was no longer being restrained by ligaments) and get a wobble board and lose weight.....

I found that using whole body exercise such as pilates and kettlebell made huge difference so think about yoga or pilates.

When I exercise I engage my vastus medialis its the muscle on the inside of your leg from your knee to your bum, stops outward knee rotation. I do most exercises, but windmills are done to limited levels and dragon lunges I dont add weight. I cant do punch matrix only exercise thats beaten me.

Dinner done, puppy brushed, floor hoovered! lol the joys, and a quick swing :)

Sweet will look forward to your results. Hope you enjoyed your dinner and your off plan moments are not too harsh on those scales, but we all deserve a treat and when hubby offers it has got to be taken up :) Dont push yourself too hard if your unwell, hope you feel better soon x

caroline I lost weight while swinging, so keep an eye on what your eating. Its difficult to suggest changes, do you have a food diary? I would suggest eating plenty of protein rich foods, keeps you feeling full and you body will like it. I dont think your losses are that small, I know we want the weight to come off quickly, each lb lost is a lb in the right direction. I have scales that give a body reading, it is interesting to see the changes, mine lets me download the results, so i have a few charts to track different measurements than just weight. I used to do a weekly WI, buthavent sonce Christmas, I must get back in the habit as it will be interesting to see. You can get knee straps, but i would suggest that you practice using your thigh and butt muscles to take the pressure off your knee, squeeze those muscles to lower and lift yourself (your thighs will be screaming!) dont lower as far, and do less reps. Make sure you keep yourself safe, and if it means having to pass on some of the moves due to your knee, just substitute

Sue well done you swinging your 10 :) See you could do it lol
I know exactly what you mean about your grip with the larger bell, I feel the exact same thing, I had originally thought it was due to my wrists being weak. Try holding the bell sideways, put one hand through the handle, I find this helps, otherwise I just try and accomodate the grip pending on the move - wait til you try a 12 for grip problems lol

Shirleen gotta love those grooves :) Hope your arthritis eases so you can get a good nights sleep and get back down the gym

curvesncurls hope you get your dvds soon and get swinging. Yes they work your hips and thighs, top tip is to squeeze those muscles when working them, makes such a difference! Post # 97 for my pics :)

Susie congrats on your loss and nearly half way through round 2

Suseka lovely to hear your having the family visit I cant wait to become a gran :) Burpees are hard, and dont fret of you have to drop down in weight for some moves, we all do it.

Nicole welcome back, you will have that gain off in no time. Great to hear your getting back in the swing things, both bell and food wise :)

keep swinging :)

Hi Kron - will give that a go. Thanks for the tip. Will be doing another Fast Fat Burn tomorrow night with my 10kg to will try then. :)

Double bell workout

doing 10's for each of doubles on snatch, clean, outside swing, press, deep squat, clean and press, high pull, seated press, floor press, clean-highpull-snatch combo, upright row, snatch swings, clean pendulums, SOTS, finally some singles with halo, round she goes, and fig 8 to hold. Aiming for 200 reps total with mainly double...get there next time.

Martin wow that's a toughie! Is it within a time limit?

no not yet...

i dont know why but been thinking on taking one of the kettlebell certs like RKC which has a challenge (e.g snatch test, 24kg x 100 lifts in 5 mins) so sort of using this to focus.

Im trying, well giving it a go, to think of training not working out. to me there is a difference, its about controlled pace, technique and using sometime bigger weights for strength not just metabolic workouts... jeez i need to get out more

Martin wow that's a toughie! Is it within a time limit?

Did anyone see the programme tonight on foods?
I thought the piece on Milk aiding muscle repair more quickly really interesting, especially as I get such bad DOMS, now I need to read up and see how I can incorporate that into SW!

Back