Secret to shaping up

mmmm my mrs watched this

some counter studies and most advice remains - to have a meal with protein and whole grain carbs! simple really. and this study on the tv compared to sports drinks which have been roundly criticised (way to much sugar, focuses on electrolytes only etc..,). choc milk only works as its easily digestable and protein/carb/mineral balance. but its prob 400 cals people dont need.....

but if you must, have a fat free greek yoghurt with banana (potassium) and a tea spoon of honey (zinc) the perfect recovery and mostly SW friendly. blitz with frozen fruit and water for a drink version

Did anyone see the programme tonight on foods?
I thought the piece on Milk aiding muscle repair more quickly really interesting, especially as I get such bad DOMS, now I need to read up and see how I can incorporate that into SW!

mmmm my mrs watched this

some counter studies and most advice remains - to have a meal with protein and whole grain carbs! simple really. and this study on the tv compared to sports drinks which have been roundly criticised (way to much sugar, focuses on electrolytes only etc..,). choc milk only works as its easily digestable and protein/carb/mineral balance. but its prob 400 cals people dont need.....

but if you must, have a fat free greek yoghurt with banana (potassium) and a tea spoon of honey (zinc) the perfect recovery and mostly SW friendly. blitz with frozen fruit and water for a drink version

At the moment I have a banana and yogurt before exercise and then something protein based like an omelette, with cheese and tomatoes and mushrooms afterwards.
Drinking milk isn't a favourite thing to do, but if I was going out straight after the Gym I could snatch a pinta!

Yup I have a ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears, meniscus tears, and medial ligament damage in right knee. Told I knee a rebuild. Yeah right...

So I saw the bloke who is the leading surgeon and put back Matt Dawsons knee. He played a world cup after he fixed it. He did some local surgery but told me avoid swimming (unchained exercise - basically a kick in the pool was no longer being restrained by ligaments) and get a wobble board and lose weight.....

I found that using whole body exercise such as pilates and kettlebell made huge difference so think about yoga or pilates.

When I exercise I engage my vastus medialis its the muscle on the inside of your leg from your knee to your bum, stops outward knee rotation. I do most exercises, but windmills are done to limited levels and dragon lunges I dont add weight. I cant do punch matrix only exercise thats beaten me.

Thanks Martin. Strange, my doctor recommended swimming to me and I was considering going tonight. What's a wobble board? My doctor said that my weight isn't what's causing my knee but it will make it worse so not to just stop the exercise because it will help long term but to be careful with it. I do yoga and pilates already, though not so much lately. Maybe I'll start doing a 10 minute session each morning and evening, when I can. Sometimes I'm absolutely fine with kettlebell stuff but then on Tuesday, the squats and everything weren't hurting a lot but they were fairly uncomfortable and a little painful. think modifying it slightly so I go slower as someone else said might be worth a try.

caroline I lost weight while swinging, so keep an eye on what your eating. Its difficult to suggest changes, do you have a food diary? I would suggest eating plenty of protein rich foods, keeps you feeling full and you body will like it. I dont think your losses are that small, I know we want the weight to come off quickly, each lb lost is a lb in the right direction. I have scales that give a body reading, it is interesting to see the changes, mine lets me download the results, so i have a few charts to track different measurements than just weight. I used to do a weekly WI, buthavent sonce Christmas, I must get back in the habit as it will be interesting to see. You can get knee straps, but i would suggest that you practice using your thigh and butt muscles to take the pressure off your knee, squeeze those muscles to lower and lift yourself (your thighs will be screaming!) dont lower as far, and do less reps. Make sure you keep yourself safe, and if it means having to pass on some of the moves due to your knee, just substitute

I do have a diary, on myfitnesspal. The link to my profile is in my signature, not sure if you go to it if you can see it? I usually eat about 1250-1500 calories, ned to work on eating back my exercise calories more to see if that helps though. I try to but I'm not always very good at it. I try to aim for 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein and I'm usually about that or a bit higher with my protein. I've started added whey protein into things sometimes which helps me get my protein up a little so I usually hit at least 100g of protein a day.

To be honest, I don't think my losses are that small either. Now that I've properly looked at it, I've realised that in 5 weeks I've lost 7.25lbs, which is 1.45lbs a week. It's a little less than when I'm not exercising but then I'm losing a lot more inches so it's a fair swap I think. For some reason I put on my wall chart that I'd lost only 0.75lbs the week before when actually I lost 1.5lbs, so I was doing better than I thought.

Thanks for the advice regarding my knee. I'll take them onboard and give it a try next time I workout. Will be doing Wk6 Cardio later today.

caroline g said:
Thanks Martin. Strange, my doctor recommended swimming to me and I was considering going tonight. What's a wobble board? My doctor said that my weight isn't what's causing my knee but it will make it worse so not to just stop the exercise because it will help long term but to be careful with it. I do yoga and pilates already, though not so much lately. Maybe I'll start doing a 10 minute session each morning and evening, when I can. Sometimes I'm absolutely fine with kettlebell stuff but then on Tuesday, the squats and everything weren't hurting a lot but they were fairly uncomfortable and a little painful. think modifying it slightly so I go slower as someone else said might be worth a try.

I do have a diary, on myfitnesspal. The link to my profile is in my signature, not sure if you go to it if you can see it? I usually eat about 1250-1500 calories, ned to work on eating back my exercise calories more to see if that helps though. I try to but I'm not always very good at it. I try to aim for 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein and I'm usually about that or a bit higher with my protein. I've started added whey protein into things sometimes which helps me get my protein up a little so I usually hit at least 100g of protein a day.

To be honest, I don't think my losses are that small either. Now that I've properly looked at it, I've realised that in 5 weeks I've lost 7.25lbs, which is 1.45lbs a week. It's a little less than when I'm not exercising but then I'm losing a lot more inches so it's a fair swap I think. For some reason I put on my wall chart that I'd lost only 0.75lbs the week before when actually I lost 1.5lbs, so I was doing better than I thought.

Thanks for the advice regarding my knee. I'll take them onboard and give it a try next time I workout. Will be doing Wk6 Cardio later today.

My Dr was telling me that he has a knee problem too (I have arthritis in my left knee), he saw a Physio and asked about swimming, the Physio said not to as the pressure on an already weak knee will make it worse. Now I assume his knee problem is from skiing (he goes alot), so may be different to what you have.
So the answer is....I don't know!! I DO know that there are lots of articles on the web about knee strengthening exercise xxx hope it gets better soon.

Oh one other thing, really warm your knee joints up before exercise, just sit and bend, and move your foot from side to side, lift up your toes etc, then do some low impact walking. Do that for a few minutes. It gets the joint ready. Xx

Shirleen said:
My inner thighs and abs have only just recovered from the KB mums one, I think it was the superset of cleans that did it lol!
The filming of it made me laugh; lots of continuity errors,(I'm such a nerd) and the people exercising in the next room having a gawp!

Hey Shirleen, I noticed the continuity errors as well ( could I be a nerd too -shock, shock!! :O). The girl was doing an exercise on both feet and then suddenly on the close-up shot one foot was in the air!! Anyway you're braver than me, I only did the first 20 mins of it. It was quite challenging with the supersets but lovely still. I particularly enjoyed the warm up as it was really diff to the Kettleworx one with lots of arm swinging and hip rotating. In the main workout I liked the use of 2 kettlebells -I imagined I was a supermum on those ones, lol! By bedtime my body was telling the tale and I slept so soundly :)

trimlee said:
Hey Shirleen, I noticed the continuity errors as well ( could I be a nerd too -shock, shock!! :O). The girl was doing an exercise on both feet and then suddenly on the close-up shot one foot was in the air!! Anyway you're braver than me, I only did the first 20 mins of it. It was quite challenging with the supersets but lovely still. I particularly enjoyed the warm up as it was really diff to the Kettleworx one with lots of arm swinging and hip rotating. In the main workout I liked the use of 2 kettlebells -I imagined I was a supermum on those ones, lol! By bedtime my body was telling the tale and I slept so soundly :)

Yep so funny especially when she changed legs and she told her to put her heel down on the back leg....close up shows her leg in the air lol!!!
I didnt do all the DVD I pushed myself to do a few more reps than was comfortable then did some freestyle windmills, planks, gunslingers (I love them), and halos.

Hi All :)
Dont you just hate it when you finish a post and it wipes out lol

Martin are you thinking of becoming an instructor? Those certs look far too hard lol Good luck, will be a great target to meet

Shirleen I missed it! Do you remember what channel, i could see if its on replay. I love these shows lol Gunslingers ... really ;)

caroline hope you enjoy your swing. your doing really great :)

trimlee using double bells now :) hope youve recovered.

I didnt stretch after my swing last night, and can feel it today, so may have a light session to ease out the kinks. My unofficial WI was +0.5lbs, not too bad considering I have had a few very off plan moments and totm. So totally ok with that :)

Evening All - another Fast Fat Burn 10 mins with the 10kg. Totally knackered. It's hard work. Round 2 starts Sunday. Mr Sue off upstairs now to start his Wk5. I can really see the difference with his biceps already. Yum! :)

Hi Kron, I absolutely love gunslingers which probably means I'm doing them wrong lol!

The video of KB mums is here

Although Hollie Walcott looks fitter than the instructor!

Thanks for all the motivational responses folks :) definitely keeps me on track.

Well week 5 core done, leaving only resistance to go. I found it tough going, but mainly because I'm feeling a wee bit poorly :( got a headache, earache and a sore throat. I was in two minds whether to give tonight a miss, but I really wanted to stay on track - so I just eased up a little, when I felt the need.

Just had a lovely long soak in the bath, which has made me feel all cozy now -and I'll be having an early night.

Am counting down the days to when my son and granddaughter visit - only 8 days now - woo hoo :) It'll be very strange having a babby about the house again (and goodness knows what my family of cats will make of it all). But I can't wait.

Hiya, I am still here just not got round to saying hi the last few days only resistance left now then kw advanced complete yeyyyyy gonna have a measure up at weekend but not expecting wonders as only just got back to pre Xmas weight x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

you coulds go to the pool and do hydrotherapy (exercise in the pool). I did it with a therapist was wonderful and got me mobile some time ago. I cant remember the exercises it was just simple movement tho.

I have this wobble board - simple but effective http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000O0YE...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B000O0YET4 I do things like stand on it and throw a tennis ball up a wall. get your core working

For each exercise with kettlbells think of your form. Use your body and groups of muscles try to avoid any isolated muscle work.

Thanks for the advice again Martin, it's much appreciated.

I did Wk6 Cardio today and it was actually alright. Just didn't sink quite as low with the squats and things like that.

Still waiting for my 4kg ball to turn up. It was posted on the 8th and still not made it yet. Really want to get started will give it a few more days.

The video of KB mums is here

Hi I was watching through this and at one point she is using two bells. Is there any alternative way of doing this as I don't have two bells.

Hello!

I've been inspired to get a DVD and a kettlebell, so I went for the Kettlercise women's DVD and a 4kg bell. My partners's going to do it with me despite it being a women's DVD - and he's ordered a 6kg bell.

We're a bit scared that we won't be able to move the day after so going to start small with the 20 min 'express' workout. Hopefully all will arrive tomorrow and we plan to do the first workout on Saturday.

Am quite nervous as despite being quite fit (I teach Zumba), I am rubbish with weights and have no upper body strength! Anyway, I'm excited to give it a go and looking forward to seeing the results. I just hope I don't smash the light fittings!

Another question here! Am currently trying yet again to struggle back on the SW wagon. I know that doing the kettlebell workouts can mess your weight loss around a bit, especially the day before or day of WI - so how do people manage it? 3 days a week would have to mean the day of or before weigh in. Or did you just ignore the pounds for the first little while, concentrating on the inch loss instead?
Thanks xx

curvesncurls said:
Another question here! Am currently trying yet again to struggle back on the SW wagon. I know that doing the kettlebell workouts can mess your weight loss around a bit, especially the day before or day of WI - so how do people manage it? 3 days a week would have to mean the day of or before weigh in. Or did you just ignore the pounds for the first little while, concentrating on the inch loss instead?
Thanks xx

I wouldn't worry about it as it all balances out in the end, I've always lost weight when I've been on plan x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi I was watching through this and at one point she is using two bells. Is there any alternative way of doing this as I don't have two bells.

I don't have two bells either, so I thought there's two ways around this, either do one arm at a time with 10 beats between reps.
Or transfer the bell across.
Personally I think the first one with be safer from dropping, the second will keep the heartrate up, so swings and roundabouts!

Although if you have dumbells there's no reason you can't use them.

there is no womens or mens kettlebell.... its the same exercises and each individual is unique. great that your partner is joining in and fantastic he is supporting you and you him.

I ache like crazy today. my shoulders have pressed 5000kg total weight in 24hrs (24kgx220 reps). but i know with good food, rest and time Ill be back prob on friday.

you sound like you have a fab platform from zumba so will progress rapidly. be great to hear your progress and your partners too

as for light fittings...not smashed them yet but have chipped the skirting board - woops...

Hello!

I've been inspired to get a DVD and a kettlebell, so I went for the Kettlercise women's DVD and a 4kg bell. My partners's going to do it with me despite it being a women's DVD - and he's ordered a 6kg bell.

We're a bit scared that we won't be able to move the day after so going to start small with the 20 min 'express' workout. Hopefully all will arrive tomorrow and we plan to do the first workout on Saturday.

Am quite nervous as despite being quite fit (I teach Zumba), I am rubbish with weights and have no upper body strength! Anyway, I'm excited to give it a go and looking forward to seeing the results. I just hope I don't smash the light fittings!

Back