Secret to shaping up

1. Avoid vinyl or non-metal core too big and bulky- also avoid neoprene or rubber coated they stick to your arm
2. Focus on the handle. I really like steel handles with good clearance, for singles or double handed work
3. I have a 12kg Marcy (dipped vinyl iron core and handle) which is ok £27 at sweatband, bodymax (£29 amazon) which is awful, but the Lifegear same price looks better on ebay with wider handle; this doesnt look bad £24 Kettlebell 10kg - Pink. but with what i know now id never have bought these....but sometimes
4. Personally I like wolverstone, stan pike, Newitts ones but i think they work in standard KB sizes (8-12-16kg)
Thinking of getting a 10kg eek. Any advice on where I can get a good deal? And should I still to iron or get a steel one x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

MartinD said:
this doesnt look bad £24 Kettlebell 10kg - Pink. )
This is one I have but 8kg, i wouldn't recommend as the pink coating is about 1cm thick so wen ur doing an upside hold or side hold it can b uncomfortable with the grove where the pink bit ends and the handle starts

Hi all :)
I will swing tomorrow! Can't believe it's as late as it is, but got a few bits sorted so I have been productive

Curves doms is delayed onset muscle soreness you don't want it lol it's normally experienced for a few days esp when you start a new workout :) lol you will get there and I am sure you will be able to get more than a 7.5kg bell selling your new body

Sue try having a huge fluffy german shepherd for shedding!!! There is enough fluff to make two more I swear lol hopefully it's a sign of better weather to come, a new body for this summer :)

Audharper going down stairs is a killer too lol, I hope it all settles down soon, but on the plus side you know it's working :)

Rachael hope you get your bell and DVD soon, I am sure you will get the swing of it quite quickly if you've done it before

Suseka tuck your pelvis up when holding the bell away from you, as it sounds like your pulling your back. Mine was the same and this technique helped keep me aligned. Are you already for your visit, I bet sorting that room didn't help your back, so take it easy and hope the ache goes soon

Martin great to hear they arrived, and how was Mrs Ms reaction when they got delivered (let us spare a thought for delivery peeps lol) I know you will be itching to give them a go, good luck and enjoy :)

Donzy a 10 :) I had to order mine, i got a 9kg at sports direct, mine normally stock a few and wasn't expensive

Lindsay I have found working thru the aches quite beneficial, if your really sore then rest, but otherwise a few low swings etc works out the kinks. Hope your dinner has settled

Happy swinging xx

Have done a kettlecise class tonight using 6kg all the way through - felt good - HRM said 500 cals burnt.. My HR max 172 ave 140 this is week 5 for me..

All going well will do same 60 min class wed and thurs night too :)

Morning - the good thing about the Tesco one is you can nip in and have a hold and swing with it. That's what I did - although I waited for a quiet time before I did to avoid any funny looks or hitting folk! :)

Got a bad case of muscle soreness this morning. My arms and shoulders are making their presence known. Mr Sue did Core Wk5 and Wk6 back to back last night. I was very impressed. I can really see the changes in his upper body already. He didn't take measurements when he started because "He's not interested in that kind of thing"! However I have caught him on several occasions now stood in front of the mirror and doing some weight lifter type poses! Bless him. :)

Suseka tuck your pelvis up when holding the bell away from you, as it sounds like your pulling your back. Mine was the same and this technique helped keep me aligned. Are you already for your visit, I bet sorting that room didn't help your back, so take it easy and hope the ache goes soon

Thanks Kron - I'll try that next time. My back gave me jip most of last night and I can still feel a dull ache today. I think the one legged bends also played a part - so I must 'engage my core' better to protect my back.

Only two more days to go before my 'lil' family arrive. Got their room ready - with space for the travel cot. Really looking forward to giving that babby some nannie hugs (though of course I'm far to young to be labelled that way :D)

I also need to fit in my final wk 6 session on Sunday. Will have to try and get up before everyone else wakes and do it then.

Happy swinging all :)

Bought the tesco one..yayy!

Misbehave hope your seeing and feeling the difference since you started swinging :)

Sue it took a good few sessions before my shoulders eased, they can still create every once in a while! Aaarrrwww bless him, you do realise the next phase is that he comes shows you lol

Amyz yeah all ready to be a swinger. Take it steady to start :)

Suseka how exciting it's going to be a wonderful time and I can't wait to be a gran :) my backs ready for babies (grand babies!) that was one of my biggest things in that i wouldnt have been able to carry or interact too long with little ones before being in agony and now thats in the past! keep to form even if it means doing a few less/not as low, on some moves

Well I am still waiting for my bell the company I purchase from have not been that helpful. Told me they would ask the courier on Monday I have not heard from them since. Will give them till Friday then ask for my money back. Anyway play had a york 2kg bell on offer at £4.99 it came today only ordered on Monday now that what I call service. Now just hope my 4kg will turn up but at least now I can start my kettleworx dvd.

Cardio 1 done - mostly with 5.5 kg for all except the punches - just too heavy. My poor thighs already. It was tough, but got there - mind you the press ups were pathetic!! SO see what tom brings - and then the core/resistance.

Off to 2nd class of week tonight! 6kg all the way! Lucky that my legs don't hurt any more after doing the class, otherwise don't think I could do 3 night in a row.

*waves hello*

Hello.

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am planning on starting kettlebells but I haven't a clue. At the moment my main form of exercise is walking Pickle... so I still wobble *grin*. I am also on a very limited budget.

I will have a look at some of the links in this thread but I wondered what you would recommend to a complete beginner with little money.

All ideas welcomed!

Judith & Pickle the wonder dog

justjudith said:
*waves hello*

Hello.

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am planning on starting kettlebells but I haven't a clue. At the moment my main form of exercise is walking Pickle... so I still wobble *grin*. I am also on a very limited budget.

I will have a look at some of the links in this thread but I wondered what you would recommend to a complete beginner with little money.

All ideas welcomed!

Hiya, you can get a cheap bell from Argos or tesco for about £10 and there are some good you tube workouts which are free, can't post links as on my phone but Martin put some maybe about 10pages back x

Argos here I come on Friday...

Off to browse this thread a little more. You all like to chatter and I feel that is very positive.

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Judith & Pickle

justjudith said:
Argos here I come on Friday...

Off to browse this thread a little more. You all like to chatter and I feel that is very positive.

Thanks for the friendly welcome.

Judith & Pickle

Lol yes we def like a good natter, I can recommend the tesco one as that is the one I have. I lot of us prefer cast iron bells rather than the vinal ones which tend to be bulkier x

Backache can happen and I looked into some reasons as I got twinges and its technique....

1. Neckpacking. Used in swings/lift etc.., check youtube for technique but this is the start of spinal stability. you will see traditional lifters using this - as do babies (I cant recall the technique might be freidkin, that mimics babies for exercise). basically looks like you are making an unattractive double chin and feeling a lot of pressure in the cervical spine or “look out to the horizon.” start by watching this to get how it makes an impact Dude transports 22 bricks on his head - YouTube
2. find your hinge. learn to get the body shape right which is used across many exercises. to do this try it for swings - stand with your back to the wall. Now thrust your arms forward and bum back - when you hit the wall with your bum, check your back alignment; is your back straight? Try and go as far as you can and move away until your back is straight, not rounded and your shins will be vertical.
3. Drop your shoulders. you have myofascial tissue connections including upper right shoulder to opposite hip (to keep you contralateral balanced) if your shoudlers are tight - think shrugged up -your hips wont work as well. shrug your shoudlers, hunch them up, then relax them. thats the shape you want throughout
Week 6 cardio :checkmark: my arms are already aching from those single arm lift and squats. My back is also making its presence known :eek:

Spent most of the early evening getting the spare room ready and now I'm nursing a nice cup of coffee and moaning every time I lift the cup :D

Can't quite believe I only have two more sessions to go then I've finished round 1. I think its the variation of the 3 different DVDs that has kept my interest, that and the knowledge that I'm getting an all over workout in just 20 minutes.

welcome- check out mike mahler kettlebell his dogs join in as do mine, cant do press ups without a snog from my spaniel

to start the chicago workout is ideal and free on youtube - approx 20 mins. you need more and variation is key but start here. Kettlebell Exercises | Fitness Experts | Chicago - YouTube

Marinne's workouts are great too might need to do them back to back can be short Beginner's Kettlebell Workouts | myomytv.com | Free Fitness Blog

no kettelbell - fill 2 litre bottle with water for a starter. check gumtree for 2nd hand bells.
*waves hello*

Hello.

All ideas welcomed!

Back