Secret to shaping up

Joanne that's bad news, I hope it gets sorted quickly. As you say you've got your 2 so can get starting :)

curvesncurls :) sounds like you did really well, the punches are very hard and will take some time. You will have to compare press ups in 6 weeks and see if there's a difference

Misb you swing 3 on the trot, I bet your highs used to hurt

Judith welcome to swinging :) Hope your able to get yourself sorted. The links Martins posted are good, at least you can have a look and see what you've signed up for. I have a DVD you can borrow if wanted.

I completed Lauren Brooks fast burn with some freestyle. I will be going to official WI tomorrow, it's been over a month but feeling confident :)

justjudith said:
*waves hello*

Hello.

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am planning on starting kettlebells but I haven't a clue. At the moment my main form of exercise is walking Pickle... so I still wobble *grin*. I am also on a very limited budget.

I will have a look at some of the links in this thread but I wondered what you would recommend to a complete beginner with little money.

All ideas welcomed!

Judith & Pickle the wonder dog

I got my 5kg bell from Sainsbury for 12.99 and every few days there are workouts on sky TV The Active Channel. I did a search and put them to record. Good luck you'll love it once you get started!!

Morning Swingers - off work today so Resistance done. All with my 10kg. The difference it is making is huge. I sailed through the first 3 weeks of the Advanced on the last round using my 7.5kg so this is definately giving me a new challenge.

Going to cool down and then head out to the shops. Having a jeans issue at the moment. They are all hanging off me even the 16s I got last November. But I bet you any money when I try on some 14s they will be too tight around the middle! I hate jeans shopping. I just wish I could shrink in proportion! :)

Good morning

If someone invented a shop that sold only between sizes - 11,13,15 etc. they would make a fortune!

I did the Kettlercise Express 20 min workout again with the 4kg bell and can't believe how much I sweat - definitely sticking with it 3x per week for now and hopefully can build up to doing the 50 min DVD in a couple of weeks.

The only thing that bugs me about the DVD is that it's not as professionally produced as other fitness DVDs I've seen. There's one bit on the warm up where the lady on the left of the screen is totally out of it and can't get her rhythm back, and throughout the whole DVD the 2 ladies at the back look really miserable! Puts me off a bit and made me head over to the Kettleworx site. Then I sent a link to my fella asking if we should move onto that once we get bored of Kettlercise. Not that he's even lifted a kettlebell since Saturday - his back is still sore! Chiropractor for him I reckon.

PS Hi Judith - I see you've made your way over here :)

Good morning

If someone invented a shop that sold only between sizes - 11,13,15 etc. they would make a fortune!

I did the Kettlercise Express 20 min workout again with the 4kg bell and can't believe how much I sweat - definitely sticking with it 3x per week for now and hopefully can build up to doing the 50 min DVD in a couple of weeks.

The only thing that bugs me about the DVD is that it's not as professionally produced as other fitness DVDs I've seen. There's one bit on the warm up where the lady on the left of the screen is totally out of it and can't get her rhythm back, and throughout the whole DVD the 2 ladies at the back look really miserable! Puts me off a bit and made me head over to the Kettleworx site. Then I sent a link to my fella asking if we should move onto that once we get bored of Kettlercise. Not that he's even lifted a kettlebell since Saturday - his back is still sore! Chiropractor for him I reckon.

PS Hi Judith - I see you've made your way over here :)

Haven't seen the Kettlercise DVD but you might also be a bit miffed with Kettleworx as well. Its been well documented on here but its a cut and paste job so basically each individual exercise is the same clip. Each session is then made up of lots of individual exercises so you do end up seeing the same clips over and over. Most of us can recite chunks of dialogue!

Have to say though no-one looks miserable in the KW posse. Jamelle, one of the guys, is comedy gold. He gets out of time in the warm up with a small squat!

I suppose its horses for courses and all that. Personally I'm happy with the format - its pretty low budget, because I find all the moves are explained and demonstrated clearly.

By the way, on the jeans front I think you're right. A size 15 would suit me down to the ground. As predicted the 16s fit around the middle but were loose on the bum, hips and legs. The 14s fit better but the middle was very snug (ok I couldn't breathe)! Have purchased a pair though as my next target.

I also made my first ever purchase from New Look in the form of a pair of SKINNY JEANS (a joke for the KW peeps) in a size 16. They fit much better although I don't have a muffin top, more of a whole bakers front window. But nothing that a lot of breathing in and a long top won't deal with. Thankfully I was on my own in the changing rooms when I was grinning from ear to ear. All I could hear was Ryan with his skinny jeans fixation and the immortal words, "You'll thank me in the morning!" :D

Ooh Ryan will be so happy with you sue!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I just wanted to say hi, I've got some little kettlebells and have been doing a few exercises with them, largely inspired by this thread - so thank you all! I have ME and have found that cardio exercising really doesn't agree with me, but I can do small amounts of low-weight strength training from time to time. I've always enjoyed weight training, it makes me feel strong and mighty even when I'm not! :D

This morning I tried out Amy Bento's absolute beginner's DVD. With my own less intense warmup I can manage the first set which was nice. :) Hopefully I'll be in shape to do it again in the next week.

(also, thanks for the tips about the cast iron kettlebells. I got the 5lb one and it's so much nicer to use than my big vinyl ones! although I've still got to work out how not to smack it into my HRM watch when doing cleans up into rack position (hope I've got all those terms right, heh))

Plumfoodie said:
I just wanted to say hi, I've got some little kettlebells and have been doing a few exercises with them, largely inspired by this thread - so thank you all! I have ME and have found that cardio exercising really doesn't agree with me, but I can do small amounts of low-weight strength training from time to time. I've always enjoyed weight training, it makes me feel strong and mighty even when I'm not! :D

This morning I tried out Amy Bento's absolute beginner's DVD. With my own less intense warmup I can manage the first set which was nice. :) Hopefully I'll be in shape to do it again in the next week.

(also, thanks for the tips about the cast iron kettlebells. I got the 5lb one and it's so much nicer to use than my big vinyl ones! although I've still got to work out how not to smack it into my HRM watch when doing cleans up into rack position (hope I've got all those terms right, heh))

I alway clip the wrist strap to my tshirt or to drawstring on my trousers or u could put in ur pocket if u have any c

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

phew 20mins with my new 16kg pair. shattered. cant lift a drink even after that. still cuts my exercise time down.....

they are going to take getting used to - competition bells so bigger and really round. plus painted so slip off my t shirt easily esp when racked. also they had some grease on them and i had my lovely climacool addidas white t shirt on....bugger

Backache can happen and I looked into some reasons as I got twinges and its technique....

1. Neckpacking. Used in swings/lift etc.., check youtube for technique but this is the start of spinal stability. you will see traditional lifters using this - as do babies (I cant recall the technique might be freidkin, that mimics babies for exercise). basically looks like you are making an unattractive double chin and feeling a lot of pressure in the cervical spine or “look out to the horizon.” start by watching this to get how it makes an impact Dude transports 22 bricks on his head - YouTube
2. find your hinge. learn to get the body shape right which is used across many exercises. to do this try it for swings - stand with your back to the wall. Now thrust your arms forward and bum back - when you hit the wall with your bum, check your back alignment; is your back straight? Try and go as far as you can and move away until your back is straight, not rounded and your shins will be vertical.
3. Drop your shoulders. you have myofascial tissue connections including upper right shoulder to opposite hip (to keep you contralateral balanced) if your shoudlers are tight - think shrugged up -your hips wont work as well. shrug your shoudlers, hunch them up, then relax them. thats the shape you want throughout

Wow - you really know your stuff :) many thanks for this MartinD

Week 6 core finished - phew! Enjoyed it tonight, though my arms are still aching from cardio on Tuesday. That leaves resistance to go and then round 1 is done and dusted. Won't be able to do that until Monday now - but a few days rest will probably do my back some good.

I'm going to keep active though and get on my treadmill - just to keep the 'exercise' pace up. The treadmill is in the garage, and with the 'slightly' milder weather we're having it should be okay to workout in there now. I don't want to stop the momentum, now I've got going :)

My son should hopefully arrive in the next couple of hours - getting really excited, but also anxious (daft eh). They'll all be shattered (its a long old way from Devon to Norfolk) and it'll be the longest journey the babby has been on so far. Anyway - I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'll keep checking in on this thread over the weekend - as the enthusiasm on here is hugely motivating and I like being part of the kettlebell crew :D

Hope you have a fab weekend Suseka. Use the baby as a kettlebell and do a few, gentle lifts and swings! :)

Hi all :)

Sue absolutely brilliant humour loved il lol hope you enjoy wearing those skinny jeans :)

Suseka have a lovely weekend with the family hope they had a good trip and baby is settled x

Haha seems to be sit of aching going on at the mo lol hope it all calms down soon, just keep swinging them away

Hi plumfoodie welcome to the swingers club Amy is a good starter so hope you enjoy :)

Official WI tonight and 2.5 under target, so happy with that :) also got asked to do a kb demo at group one week :)

Hi all

My Kelly Holmes kettlebell arrived today - am very excited to try it out! Have ordered the kettlebell bootcamp DVD from Amazon, which I have seen mentioned on here, but am going to get started this weekend with some you tube videos - can't wait!

My tesco kettlebell arrived today! Excited!

ForumRunner_20120223_224852.jpg

Don't know why I didn't take the pic of it standing up lol..there is a teeny ridge on the bottom but it still stands up fine

Kron thanks for the welcome and well done on your WI!

It's funny because I watched the Amy Bento DVD once from the sofa to get the idea and thought the music was a bit naff, but once I was swinging I didn't even notice it!

This week have done Zumba mon night, kettlecise class, 60 min work out tues,wed, thurs night using a 6 kg my legs don't hurt, arms don't hurt.. Just need stretching next week is my week 6 of the class. Have not lost that much weight 1st week lost 1.5kgs, (using 4kg) 2nd week gained 1kg, 3rd lost 300g, (started 6kg) 4th lost 200g 5th lost 300g again.. Let's see what Tuesday next week brings... But have lost inches off bust, back and waist area.. Butt is smaller..

Back