Secret to shaping up

Wow, Tracey, 6kg! I got a kettlebell book recently and it says that the 'perceived weight' or 'real feel' of kettlebells is less when they are in a swinging motion than when you're doing something like a press because of the momentum. So you might find at least at first that you find the 6kg easier for swings than for other things. The example they give is that the 'real feel' of a 15 lb bell in motion is only 5 or 6 lb! Which makes sense but I hadn't thought about before.

You'll have to let us know how you find the 6kg. :)

That makes complete sense to me. I use a 10kg for the two handed swings and squat/upright row type stuff and for things like catapault sit-ups (you might not have come across these yet). I use my 7.5kg for pretty much everything else. I have a 15lb one which is a great inbetweenie weight and get this one out for double bells on the disco side bends (one in each hand) and for those times when I'm knackered and struggling a bit with the 7.5kg. I'd rather finish an exercise completely than give up so this way I can just drop down if I need to. I also still use my 5kg from time to time. There's a bicep and tricep curl type thing in the Advanced where you hold the bell upside down and I use it for this one as it fits nicely in my hand and also for the seated figure eights under the legs as I end up covered in bruises with a larger bell. I can manage the weight on this one, just struggle getting my legs up (I'm sure there's a joke there somewhere :eek:)!

The 10kg feels so light on the swings but having used it for some arm work I can tell you its a punisher! So its great to build up a little selection of bells so you can pick the right one, for you, for the job required. Plus they look kind of cute all lined up in the corner of the spare room!

I did the wk1 cardio last night.. Def made me sweat.. Couldn't do the pushups on the bell, so did normal push ups on my knees lol.. That squat and hold was ok the 1st time but the 2nd set hurt... Liked the punches, mountain climbers were horrible when I was at school and haven't got any better!! The baseball catcher heel raisers are good! The fast feet slam dunk is pretty cool.. Do the fast feet in Zumba!

All in all was good work out, my legs must be so used to squats etc now they don't hurt.. But the muscles round my knees hurt :)

OH chickened out!! Lol

Hi Mis-behave - glad you're up and running with KW. I find its often the easiest exercises which end up being the most effective. The KB hold is a good example of that.

Hi everyone, another newcomer here if you don't mind me joining in! I've joined a Kettlercise class (been for the last 4 weeks) and am really enjoying it. Have bought the Kettlercise DVD (just need my own kettlebell!) so am aiming to do it a couple of times a week alongside the class.

I have been reading through this thread, some brilliant tips and advice and links. Looking forward to getting into it properly now :)

Hi Alkabel - welcome! Hopefully you'll have your bell soon and you'll be swinging away with the rest of us! :)

Hi Cat Lover Sue, many thanks for your kind welcome. I've been working with a 4kg bell and am scouring Amazon at the moment for one. May go for the 5kg one from Tesco when I get into it a bit more. Have really enjoyed reading through this thread - brilliant for motivation!

Hi Alkabel - you might just want to go straight to the 5kg. About a tenner in Tesco. Would probably end up being a bit better value for you. I don't work for Tesco by the way :), just find their bell very good quality and value.

A quick "Hi" to you all straight in from work and straight out to a Kettlercise Class :eek: this will be my first official class as i've been doing it on my tod with me dvd's!! Wish me luck! Will report back laterz x

Thanks for the info Plumfoodie I have had a look and the links and reserved a copy of the book from the library, I am going to weigh and measure myself tomorrow then off I go can't wait to get stuck in never thought I would say that about any exercise!

Hi, and welcome to the newbies!

Went out with the mums from school last night, so felt a tad delicate this morning! Simply couldn't face the gym, so just did week 3 resistance this morning. That, followed by a long hot shower made me feel soooo much better! And that's what i love about this program, it's only 20 mins to get through, any longer and I'd have bottled that as well.

Flexed my arm muscles at the pub last night- the girls were like this::eek: :cool::eek:

I had a go at week 1 core yday and it annoyed me a bit because there is no real explanation of moves so I was constantly pausing and rewinding and it also bugged me a bit that when moves are repeated they use the exact same clip. I think I prefer my current dvd but will need to give more time for kw so I get used to it because I have heard of the good results.

I had a go at week 1 core yday and it annoyed me a bit because there is no real explanation of moves so I was constantly pausing and rewinding and it also bugged me a bit that when moves are repeated they use the exact same clip. I think I prefer my current dvd but will need to give more time for kw so I get used to it because I have heard of the good results.

I know what you mean about the repeats, but I actually prefer it now that I'm used to it because I don't have to watch so hard, I just think 'oh, it's lawnmowers now' or whatever, and get on with it without any new bits of chatter to distract me.

I agree that KW is a little light on information about technique/good form, I found I had already picked up the basics from my Absolute Beginners DVD and now that I have a couple of kb books I also pick up tips from them. :)

Just catching up on the thread (hi newbies :) ) and have a mental image of us all going around flexing our biceps while our husbands look worried in the corner! Heh! :D

Just catching up on the thread (hi newbies :) ) and have a mental image of us all going around flexing our biceps while our husbands look worried in the corner! Heh! :D

Heee heeee look forward to when i reach that stage! Went to Kettlercise class the other night and all though I really enjoyed it - I'd much rather get hot n sweaty doing the dvd at home!

Ok so I've had a night off last night as a friend had my dvd's to see if she likes it or not and I have now got it back and am gonna be swinging later on this evening after my evening meal ;o)

Cant find the blinking smileys any more and only offers a "quick reply" don't like the new changed on mini's it confuses me .......and that isn't hard believe me!

Finished week 4 with resistance tonight- phew. Found it quite hard going this week, not sure if that's because its been a might warmer of late, or because I've had a real tough week at work (probably the latter). I'm off work tomorrow :clap: so I can pick up my new road bike (really excited about that) and really looking forward to a long weekend so I can recharge the old batteries. I had a sneak peak at the scales mid week and I'm not holding out for much of a weightloss (nothing new there) - but I'll settle for a 1lb (better than nothing).

Evening All - Round 2 Advanced finished tonight! :D After a very stressful day at work it was ideal to take my mind off stuff and make me focus on something else instead. Phew was I knackered by the end of it. I'll get Mr S to take my measurements on Saturday morning and will report back.

Glad to see everyone's cracking on with their swinging. :)

I did my week 1 cardio on Monday, and the top of my legs have been so painful since that I've really struggled to walk, use stairs, get in & out of a chair & the car etc. I haven't been able to do week 1 core yet as a result of this- should have done it Wednesday. Gutted, but hoping I feel able to continue tomorrow. I've almost been in tears with the discomfort due to overworked muscles. Can't wait to continue the KW programme and I'm annoyed I've had to interrupt my schedule already. Is it just me??? :(

xx

Croc said:
I did my week 1 cardio on Monday, and the top of my legs have been so painful since that I've really struggled to walk, use stairs, get in & out of a chair & the car etc. I haven't been able to do week 1 core yet as a result of this- should have done it Wednesday. Gutted, but hoping I feel able to continue tomorrow. I've almost been in tears with the discomfort due to overworked muscles. Can't wait to continue the KW programme and I'm annoyed I've had to interrupt my schedule already. Is it just me??? :(

xx

No it's not just you. Myself and a few others experience that too. It soon goes but yes it can be very painful for a few days :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Susie25 said:
No it's not just you. Myself and a few others experience that too. It soon goes but yes it can be very painful for a few days :)

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

What a relief- thanks for your reply! I think I was a little over-enthusiastic and really pushed myself hard. No pain, no gain and all that. I am beginning to really see why these workouts are so effective in so little time! :)

xx

Back