Self Control, Will Power or Choice

Good Morning All,
Whilst having a family BBQ and (Paddling) pool party this weekend I was complemented on my strong "self control" at not picking at any of the food I prepared (I was master chef as I got a new George Foreman Grill & Griddle and it's MY kitchen!). Then when I was talking about how I felt that I have no self control and loads of choice to eat the BBQ food and cakes or my shake and reach my target I was told I HAD to have will power to be that determined and will power took self control.

Will power is an indication that you are struggling against what you really want. If you need will power to be slim......what happens when you are slim....where does the will power go and will you start to put the weight on again (not a suggestion to gain weight just a question)? If it is truelly ok for you to be slim then no will power is needed.

Isn't this the same with Self Control? If you have self control to STOP yourself having something or GIVING IN to some urge your body wants are you showing self control or ignoring the conflict within? If it takes self control to walk past a cake shop and not buy a cake.....what is it you are denying yourself.....a calorie loaded snack, a treat for something you have perceived yourself as doing or is it just because other people say the same thing.

When you have choice you can enjoy which decision you make and that you can change that decision at any time in the future. So is self control a good thing to say to yourself as having or is it just another way of convincing yourself that the diet you are on is hard?

At this point I would like to point out that what ever a person believes is ok for them as long as they are achieving what they want to achieve. If not then is there another way for the person to see or think?

I would like to know what other people on any of these diets thinks. I am on the Cambridge Diet Soul Source and have a target of 9st by 31/12/08.

Back