Serialslimmer's journey back to bohemian slenderness

Hi Serial, are you having a better day today? I'm still not 100%, but not too far off track. Had 2 bars today and a wagamamma salad for dinner. Home tomorrow afternoon so hopefully back on track then. How about yourself?

Stay strong. I was the same a few days ago. It's a bit easier again now. The carbs you had likely kicked you out of ketosis (making you hungry now) and woke up your taste bud memory. Got to get over that hill again ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I'm just having a grumpy fit. I'm not abandoning ship. Yes, I am out of ketosis and just thinking about last night's simple tomato and mayo sandwich (tastebud bliss) makes me reluctant to go back to bars and packs. VLCDs are especially difficult over the longer haul, as anyone who's committed to one for more than a week or two will agree. I can't enjoy the savoury packs at all, and consuming nothing but bars and puddings - as tasty as they are - becomes monotonous after a while.

I'm craving fruit too, badly. And yummy vegetables. And of course, bread. Plain, simple, fresh bread with a nice crust on it.

This week will be a write-off because, whilst I haven't gone crazy on extra calories, VLCDs are very unforgiving if you cheat on carbs. A few years back a dieter pal of mine was raving about Cambridge and superfast losses, and honestly she was on a Pink Cloud of happiness. Then she went on a 'hen weekend'. Oh, dear. She had a fab time, didn't go crazy on food - basically her packs plus a fairly moderate cooked evening meal and wine in the evenings (mostly on the last night there). When she weighed herself on the Monday morning she felt sick. She'd regained - according to the scales - a whole stone!

I'd said to her beforehand, don't weigh when you get home. Leave it for at least one week. Climb back on the wagon and the water weight will go, just as it did at the start of the diet. Afterwards she said she wished she'd taken my advice. It took her many weeks to get back into the swing of things, because her confidence in herself and in the diet had been dented. But this is what happens when you put carbs back into the mix of a 'designer' carb- and calorie-controlled VLCD.

I didn't weigh today because I anticipated up to 7lb regain and I'd rather not see that on my scales LOL. Too demoralising. I've come a long way in regard to remaining calm about slips and blips but it's normal to be annoyed at one's human frailty. I'm just a bit fed-up with the limitations of this excellent diet, and fed-up living solely on sweet items. Perhaps I can tweak a mixture of real food and Exante - low carb real food, that is. Same as it ever was! x

Last edited:
^^^^ ditto

Must be a natural thing after so many weeks on the diet, mustn't it?
Exactly like you said above, there is no way I am going near that scales for at least another week. We CAN do this. Are you with me?.. lets get each other through the next week and hopefully that will go some way to getting us back on the right track and concentrating on long term again x

I'm with you! I have to find a way through this 'fed up' phase. And I will. Weighing when you feel down can all too often sabotage future progress. The scale is not our enemy - it can only record what we weigh at that particular time. But going on body weight alone can result in a false snapshot of what's going on, water-wise.

There's no point in rubbing-in our perceived shortcomings! We're way too good at doing that, to begin with. Tomorrow is another day xx

Thats the problem with VLCD. Water gain can be very hard to deal with. Hope you both come through ready for another round soon which I'm sure you will do x

I'll be making my apple crumble and custard very soon. Waited as long as possible because late evening/bedtime often spells danger for my good intentions. I considered making an omelette with an egg pack but yet again I'd rather have a pudding LOL x

I hear ya! Maple syrup pancakes was my last pack of the evening :)

Yep, I hear you re the 'fed up' phase. What about Working Solution? That way you can have packs and real (low carb) food? I may consider that myself in the weeks to come, but hoping to have a much better week this week. Hope you do too :)

Hi Lady. I'm on mini-restart Day#2 and all's well. I'm pleased because I was starting to suspect that my ability to TS was fizzling-out. Hope your day's going as planned.

Jayne, I have considered WS and might try it in future. I looked at TS Plus which allows 100 calories extra for 'permitted' vegetables. Since I lose more slowly than some I worry that my WIs may prove to be disappointing. We shall see. The main problem is that I crave mostly toast/bread!

Good idea, Nova. I'm sure it does give us a boost to have one day per week low-carb but with more calories. Boredom is fatal on any diet and eating only bars, puddings etc is an unorthdox way to live! If you do one day a week on regular food you don't need to do an additional food week x

I've been following TS Plus since starting the diet, but not added veg, just used choco balls and protein bites. I might look at the list again for other allowed foods :) I'm also a slow loser compared to others, but have been pleased with my losses so far. I doubt I'd get more than a lb a week on WS :-/

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

I often have an extra pack or bar when I need to. The underlying problem is that, understandably, we miss regular food. When you have many stones to lose you face the prospect of living on packs for up to a year! Nobody could be 100% TS for that long. We need to do our best to stick to the rules most of the time and to make allowances for very hungry or fed-up days.

I still find it easier to get back into Exante TS than I did Cambridge SS - but yearnings for forbidden carbs will at times get the better of me!

I love those choco balls, now x

I got through another day. Can't sleep so I anticipate a long night of wakefulness. Would love real food but, no! LOL x

Must be something in the air cos I couldn't sleep last night either.
Hope today goes to plan x

Not going to dwell on this because no good can come of doing so. The night before last my online shopping delivery arrived bearing a free pack of six hot cross buns. An unexpected ambush of sorts. I love fruited buns, spicy buns, fruit teacakes, etc. I looked at the six pack. It looked back at me. I wrapped the buns in a plastic bag and thrust them into the freezer.

Could I stop thinking about them? Nope. Did I finally surrender and have 'just one' and then end up having two? Yes. Yesterday I got back on plan until late afternoon when the craving for another hot cross bun hit hard. Over the hours that followed I ate the remaining four buns. With a scrape of butter. By my (late) bedtime I was hungry so I had a raspberry porridge with a tablespoonful of single cream.

So, dear friends, I am not doing particularly well. As Oscar Wilde famously said, 'I can resist everything but temptation'. The time now is 08.25. Today is another day. Good luck, gals! x

Last edited:
Breakfast today was raspberry porridge. Lunch will probably be blueberry pancakes. Dinner - either my last apple crumble and custard or a chocolate pudding x

Last edited:
I'm with you on the hot cross buns, in fact any bready cakeyness. Hope your day goes well x

Back