Serialslimmer's journey back to bohemian slenderness

Hi DN. Never heard of that plan. Will google it! I'm feeling so much better for having included fruit as well as green veg. Peppers are fairly sweet but they look so gorgeous (LOL) and they're lovely in salads, stir fries and omelettes. I enjoyed every mouthful of the bananas I bought. Yes they're high in sugar but also high in fibre and potassium and they tasted YUM-E.

I hit this kind of problem every time I VLCD. After a couple of months the fresh food cravings start. Bread cravings too of course. By three/four months I am almost desperate Ha Ha x

Lack of funds now forces me to seek-out low-carb protein meal bar recipes. I've found a few. I'll try a couple and let you know how they turn out. I'll also post links to the most successful (and tasty) bars.

Like many low carbers I have lots of leftover protein shake powder, sweetener, etc from my pre-bedroom tax days. Rather out of date now but fine for cooking LOL xx

Today's food so far:

2 small apples
2 boiled eggs
Vitamin and Mineral supplements

Exante Porridge

Exante Apple Crumble and Custard

Mmmmm! xx

It's really tasty. I spotted Tiramisu on the site too. But that will have to wait x

Craving fruit and veg can never be a bad thing. It's a good break to have from VLCD. Better than me this weekend, I ate so much cheese that I was craving!!!

I'm really keen to learn more about home-made protein bars /exante replacement :) I'm so low at the mo and my student loan has been delayed 3 weeks :/ let me know how you get on!!
Xx

Hiya Serial,

I was going through the same with the want for real food and delicious fruit. No harm in indulging in that :) This extreme dieting is just not easy at all, you're doing great x
i'm dying to hear how the protein bar recipies work out :)

Exante porridge for breakfast, Exante risotto for lunch.

What shall I have for dinner? LOL.

Maybe an omelette with onion and peppers xx

This low carb protein bar recipe looks fab:

Jamie Eason's LiveFit Recipes: Low-Carb Apple Cinnamon Protein Bars - Bodybuilding.com

One portion is 64 cals but I think two/three would make a nutritious meal. Check the statistics! Low carb, low calorie and delicious. The apple could be replaced by a handful of raisins and maybe a few sugar free choc chips. Or a bit of unsweetened dessicated coconut.

I'm hungry so won't risk making them tonight but I might, tomorrow. There are yummy low carb cookie dough bar recipes on the same site xx

You have to make this work for you lovely...if you were pigging out on chocolate or cake then yes you could perhaps hold your hands up and say sod it but a little fruit and veg isn't going to hurt you and is certainly good for you!!!

I hate slimming clubs...you always get the lady who has eaten 5 donuts but still manages to lose 5lbs each week! I have rage issues when im sat in the meetings so I cant go :)

Im with you on the shakes not being my favourite...I am doing anything at the moment to avoid them but im going to have to bite the bullet and find a way to have them. Have you thought of selling the things you don't like on ebay? Ive seen quite a few products on there and it might help you buy a few bars? if you order from exante at the mo they are giving free chocolate orange bars.

Keep going and keep smiling - we are here for you. xxx

Sometimes I really hate my carb addiction. I want to be like 'normal' people who can eat bread and potatoes and pasta and even cake and biscuits without gaining weight or being propelled into binge-eating behaviour. Over the years I've tried to bargain with this problem. I've tried many times to include my binge foods in moderate quantities every day on the basis that a little of what you fancy does you good. However for me a comparatively small amount of carbs and starches trigger hunger and cravings that I sooner or later simply cannot fight. As a young woman I had no idea a person could be addicted to carbs nor that such an addiction meant that, if I hoped to lose weight and keep it off, I'd face a lifetime of serious dietary vigilance and limitation.

I get angry about this at times - irrational but human. I'd love to eat a nice baked potato or a few chips and a couple of slices of toast and (yum) rice pudding and maybe regular ice cream without fear and the certain knowledge that trouble will follow. I can very easily be tipped into severe cravings and thereafter binge or mini-binge for days.

Since there is nothing I can do about this other than to keep trying to limit carbs, particularly sugars, I have to get on with it. I love food and cooking and baking and it's hard to accept that I will never be able to eat carbs without fear xx

Sometimes I really hate my carb addiction. I want to be like 'normal' people who can eat bread and potatoes and pasta and even cake and biscuits without gaining weight or being propelled into binge-eating behaviour. Over the years I've tried to bargain with this problem. I've tried many times to include my binge foods in moderate quantities every day on the basis that a little of what you fancy does you good. However for me a comparatively small amount of carbs and starches trigger hunger and cravings that I sooner or later simply cannot fight. As a young woman I had no idea a person could be addicted to carbs nor that such an addiction meant that, if I hoped to lose weight and keep it off, I'd face a lifetime of serious dietary vigilance and limitation.

I get angry about this at times - irrational but human. I'd love to eat a nice baked potato or a few chips and a couple of slices of toast and (yum) rice pudding and maybe regular ice cream without fear and the certain knowledge that trouble will follow. I can very easily be tipped into severe cravings and thereafter binge or mini-binge for days.

Since there is nothing I can do about this other than to keep trying to limit carbs, particularly sugars, I have to get on with it. I love food and cooking and baking and it's hard to accept that I will never be able to eat carbs without fear xx

This is a very real problem.. And the food and diet industry count on this addiction.

It has been said food addiction may be the hardest of all to kick because most addicts don't have to only have a limited supply of their drug of choice.

A food addict must have their drug daily to live yet still be expected to keep the addictive behaviour to a minimum.

It is a game of noticing your triggers (which you are identifying as carbs in general) and lots of planning.

I think having a food addiction does actually mean controlling ones intake of food vigilantly for the rest of their lives..

It may be in your genetic makeup SS. Did you see the Horizon programme which diet is right for you? It scientifically investigated the effect of diets on different people and why they ate a certain way. It was an eye opener for me.
There were three groups. Emotional eaters, feasters (can't stop once started) and grazers (smaller amounts constantly). Different diets worked for each group. 5/2 fasting for feasters, calorie controlled for grazers and I can't remember the third for emotional eaters, high protein low carb I think.

Carb addiction is very real for a lot of us on here, the body gets a high from the sugar hit then plummets leaving you needing more. It's a vicious circle. it is hard to stay away but I do find VLCD helps me see what my triggers are more clearly. I hope you find a way that works for you soon.

Low carb always works for me. I lost ten stones, maintained for a while then lost a further stone. I maintained within a 5-10 pound range for seven years. I wore the same size clothes throughout that time. I felt at last that I'd cracked it and that I would now remain slender indefinitely (provided of course I continued to limit carbs).

Then I lost my dear father and suffered personal and family problems. I was given a huge box of Thornton's chocolates that Christmas. I'd never tasted them before and had up to then studiously avoided regular chocolate and sweets. I decided to sample one or two...

Thus began a long and slow descent back into carb slavery. I find it harder than ever to quit sugar and starches. This addiction - like all the others - is a harsh and unforgiving master. I fit all three of those overeater 'types'. Life is so much more peaceful when I ditch carbs. As I've said before I think the 60g per day VLCD carbs are too many for me. I need to get back to veggie Atkins. I'll never stop trying xx

Wow that's an impressive loss and seven year maintenance I salute you! I lost 8 on LL in 2009 and got within 3 stone of goal but then came off and went carb (esp bread and choc and junk crazy (emotional eating) and put the lot and more back on ultra quick. Strangely when I did the online quiz after the Horizon program I was almost an equal split between all 3 too.

I've never tried Atkins, is exante more than 60g of carbs a day? I've never looked. I just like the simplicity but I'm terrified of losing control again, I hope SW will be my maintenance plan as I love cooking and their recipes are delicious. I won't be going to meetings though.

I'm sorry you lost your Dad.

When you switch from eating 20g carbs per day and being ultra-careful about the quality of the food you eat to eating sugars and starches daily the lost weight comes back very fast xx

I dream of a life where the only connection I have to food, is needing it for fuel. I'm the same as you, doing so well when I'm low carb or "cold turkey" but I do worry as soon as I start to add carbs, the cravings and in turn the weight will return. I'm like a bottomless pit when I start, I can eat twice what my 6ft boyfriend eats and still moan that I'm "hungry" and I can be a right madam if I don't eat. My blood sugar is so sensitive I can actually feel depressed and weak from lack of food. Exante and low carb has kept me much more stable. Xx

I dream of a life where the only connection I have to food, is needing it for fuel. I'm the same as you, doing so well when I'm low carb or "cold turkey" but I do worry as soon as I start to add carbs, the cravings and in turn the weight will return. I'm like a bottomless pit when I start, I can eat twice what my 6ft boyfriend eats and still moan that I'm "hungry" and I can be a right madam if I don't eat. My blood sugar is so sensitive I can actually feel depressed and weak from lack of food. Exante and low carb has kept me much more stable. Xx

Like you, I won't ever have a life where food is just fuel :( but it does become more manageable on low carb.

I find if I eat too much sugar I just become a bottomless eating machine.

I have learned I do well on a higher fat diet and I can eat complex carbs in moderation after exercise but if I over do the carbs or the exercise my appetite goes through the roof!!!

Back