shall I do pp instead of discover plan? Im really confused. Any HELP???

I agree WW is nothing like SW...i just can't get the concept of slimming world into my head!

But what i was trying to say is that because of the financial difficulties the country is having, people may of stopped using either slimming club as much and by ww reinventing itself with PP i personally think it was a business decision to launch PP rather than the science, but they have been very clever in using the new science bid to win over new and old customers.

Either way what ever system you use you will lose weight but it may be slower with PP from what i gather. We all just have to keep marching on! :D

I'm not on pp so I don't really know if it slows yr weight loss, I have come across in the forums that it does slightly lower the speed than appose to the old plan, but hey if u can get to eat lots of food and never feel hungry than thats great. I'de rather a slower speed than starve myself to get skinny!

Soo! Interesting reading that lot but have you now decided what it is you are going to do Pixar?
Methinks you have talked yourself into the WW pp system hey?
My D is doing that one and has a very good weight loss on it.

Hope you find the one that is best for you but, as has been said, it's a life long concept and you can always change over to something else if it doesn't work for you...

All the best....:)

Thanks for starting this thread topic.
I'm so torn as to what to do. On Discovery, I was on 24 pts. On the PP I'll be on 29. I don't eat a lot of fruit, so I won't feel the benefit of it being now 0 pts. However I am worried that in a way I'll be getting less food daily because before I was on 24, on PP I'll be on 29, but I know the PP values of food are higher. So an egg was 1.5 on vintage,is now 2 on PP. So I'll have 5 pts a day more, but with the basic foods actually costing more points, does that not mean I'll be hungrier than before??
Sorry, I just can't get my head round this, if anyone has any thoughts please do share them!
(ps I know I get 49 extra points a week, so maybe that would balance out but I think I'd prefer not use them all the time).
It seems to me that anyone who was 18 pts a day on Discovery is really going to benefit from switching to PP, but for us who were already on higher, I worry about going hungry.

I don't eat a lot of fruit, so I won't feel the benefit of it being now 0 pts. However I am worried that in a way I'll be getting less food daily because before I was on 24, on PP I'll be on 29, but I know the PP values of food are higher. [...]
(ps I know I get 49 extra points a week, so maybe that would balance out but I think I'd prefer not use them all the time).
It seems to me that anyone who was 18 pts a day on Discovery is really going to benefit from switching to PP, but for us who were already on higher, I worry about going hungry.

Hi Bastet! You don't need to go hungry, just make smarter food choices. Yes, there are some foods that have gone up, but there are some foods that have stayed the same or not increased as much. On a quick rule, foods with a lot of carbs have increased or also doubled in points, foods with a lot of proteins have stayed the same or just slightly increased. An egg, as you rightly say, was 1.5 points and is now 2pp, probably just because there's no half points in the new system. Things like low fat cheese have stayed the same between old and new system, for example the WW cheese slices were 1point with Discover and are now 1pp with propoints. 30g of ham was 0.5 points with the old system and is now 1 point just because of the no 0.5 points in the new system. Overall, one of my guilty pleasures, a "cheese and ham sandwich" (basically 2 slices of WW cheese with 4 slices of ham in between, no bread :D) went from being 2.5 points to being 3 points, so it's not much of a difference. There's a low fat greek natural yogurt called "Total 0%" that is only 1pp per 100g. I normally have that with 50/60g banana crushed with it and it's DELICIOUS and only 1pp! Vegetables are all 0pp except the ones that were to be counted also with discover, so it doesn't change much, all fruit is 0pp also.

I understand that you don't eat much fruit... well, that's the moment you could change your habit. Fruit is very important as it fills you up and contains vitamins that are important for your body. It also helps the digestive system and *going there* if you see what I mean. Maybe start adding one fruit a day one week and another fruit a day another week until you get to a good intake of 4 or 5 a day?

The 49 points extra are there to be used. So if you feel hungry you shouldn't feel guilty in using your weekly points. When you were on Discover, did you feel guilty about using ALL of your 24 points? Or did you always stop at 20 and never used the "banked" points? If you were on 24 per day on Discover, it's as if with Propoints WW told you that you have 20 points per day and then a slushfund of 28 points for the week that you can either have 4 per day (hence 24) or save for one evening out or have here and there. This means that the equivalent of your 24 points is 36 propoints per day. Then, YOU decide if you want to save the points and use them in one go or if you prefer to have every day 36!

You won't go hungry, I'm sure. You just need to get on with the new system! xx

Thanks Julia!
I dont eat much fruit but I do eat tons of veggies, I kind of hope that makes up for it a little! I do get some blueberries every week and eat those, but tend not to buy other fruit. I suppose now it's not counted I may eat some more of it. But I just prefer veggies to fruit. I definitely can't see myself eating 4 or 5 pieces of fruit a day though. I sometimes get sugar cravings if I eat too much of it. :cry:

It's a relief to know there's no half points, actually. I used to get in such a tizz over adding them up and would consider the day 'ruined' if i went half a point over!

I think PP may suit me better actually, now you've explained it to me. I tend not to eat a lot of carbs - well not much bread or pasta anyway. I prefer brown rice, quinoa and a few potatoes. It sounds promising.
My local meeting is on Saturday so I'll join then.

Thanks again!

Thanks Julia!
I dont eat much fruit but I do eat tons of veggies, I kind of hope that makes up for it a little! I do get some blueberries every week and eat those, but tend not to buy other fruit. I suppose now it's not counted I may eat some more of it. But I just prefer veggies to fruit. I definitely can't see myself eating 4 or 5 pieces of fruit a day though. I sometimes get sugar cravings if I eat too much of it. :cry:

It's a relief to know there's no half points, actually. I used to get in such a tizz over adding them up and would consider the day 'ruined' if i went half a point over!

I think PP may suit me better actually, now you've explained it to me. I tend not to eat a lot of carbs - well not much bread or pasta anyway. I prefer brown rice, quinoa and a few potatoes. It sounds promising.
My local meeting is on Saturday so I'll join then.

Thanks again!

do you really get sugar cravings for having an apple or a pear or a banana? In theory they are slow energy releasing foods and they contain simple sugars and help you feeling fuller for longer! Very odd indeed... However, if you concentrate in trying to have at least one fruit per day this week and then try to go to two, stay there for a couple of weeks and then try to go up if you feel like it... that should help! I know what you mean, I too have loads of veggies, and they do certainly help compensate for little fruit. I normally have 600g of cherry tomatoes (one pack of 300 at lunch and one pack before dinner as a snack), a pack of 360g of stir fry veggies fried with frylight and some curry powder with my dinner. Then I have 1 banana and 120ml of orange juice at breakfast, an apple and a pear at lunch and sometimes an apple (or a nectarine or 3 plums or 3 tangerines or some grapes or whatever) at dinner.

yes, no half points definitely helps making it easier to count, although you do need to be careful because most of the times 1 slice of something could be 2pp and 2 slices might be 5pp, or 1 might be 2pp and 2 slices might be 3pp... so be careful with the nutritional values, always multiply the nutritional values and THEN work out the propoints from there rather than just adding the propoints up!

If you eat more proteins than carbs, propoints will definitely suit you better, and just encourage you to healthier food choices, like a banana rather than some chocolate (0 propoints rather than 5, happy life! :D) You're very welcome, if you need any more help just ask!

Hi
I have been reading this post with some interest.... I did Discover (or Switch as it was called years ago) 8 years ago and was getting losses of 1-2lb a week. Started PP in November and again, my losses were 2lb a week. After giving up/restarting etc after xmas, I did PP for a week where i lost 2lb, but was struggling to get my head around the plan, so decided to follow Discover for a week where i lost.... 2lb!! Since going back on PP and finally getting my head around it, i have lost 7lb in 3 weeks. Therefore, my conclusions are that neither plan is better for you, than the other,lol!! The only difference seems to be whether or not you count points for your fruit, as i dont eat fruit, it doesnt matter to me :)

I think it boils down to this, Discover good if you feel you would be better sticking to a set amount of points a day, whereas PP is better if you like the fact you have the weekly points to use as a failsafe. And also, dont forget, everyone is different in the ratio they lose their weight, not everyone gets humungous losses in their first weeks.....although they would like to......:)

Good Luck whatever you do

Sue xx

emmaline thanks for the support, really means a lot to me right now:) I feel like when i am about to slip up i come here just to see what everyones doing and monitor their success, it really motivates me....

Back