shape delights yogs

Loser85

Gold Member
Anybody know the pp in these? Would be tempted as they sound nice but only if there low enough for pp.

Thanks in advance!

as far as I know, they're 2pp each but I'm going by memory. The only yogurts that are 1 pp are the WW ones, but they have too much sugar to my taste. What I do is I buy the Total 0% by Fage, the plain one. Then I make my own yogurt by crushing a half banana into a plastic bowl (the one out of the WW triple chocolate brownies, I have saved a few from the bin for this purpose!) and I add 100g of total 0% to it and mix it together, I put a silver foil on the top of it and stick it into the fridge. That's 1pp only, because I have crushed the banana myself and I know there's no preservatives or rubbish like that in it, the sugar off the banana gives the yogurt a WONDERFUL taste and it's SO filling!!!! By staying in the fridge overnight the mix melds together. I normally do two in one sitting in the evening and have it the two following mornings. Fage's Total 0% is the only yogurt I found (and I looked at EVERY SINGLE yogurt off the shelf in my local Sainsbury's( that contains low sugar and no fat. Normally either the yogurt is full fat, or the producers add sugar to compensate the loss in flavour due to the absence of fat, and the added sugars are deleterious for your diet because your body responds to the sugar rush by producing insulin which stops YOUR OWN fat from being burnt AND stops the absorption of fat by the cells, resulting in MORE fat stored! That's the problem of most diet foods and you need to work very hard to find diet products that are not full of sugar :(

They are actually 3pp per pot

I take the mullerlight yoghurts 1 and half points. Strawberry,banana and custard,vanilla and chocolate sprinkles,rhubarb,mandarin,toffee. I love the chocoate sprinkled and toffee ones.

Thanks all :)

Kagome i know what you mean re the sugar in diet foods. My MIL is diabetic and was using WW for a while but she couldnt have the WW jam as it had too much sugar in it. She thought she wouldve been allowed it too with it being diet food. Not always the case as you pointed out.

Thanks all :)

Kagome i know what you mean re the sugar in diet foods. My MIL is diabetic and was using WW for a while but she couldnt have the WW jam as it had too much sugar in it. She thought she wouldve been allowed it too with it being diet food. Not always the case as you pointed out.

exactly! But what I was really shocked to find out was that my Ready Break CHOCOLATE porridge contains LESS sugar than Kellogg's All Bran! crazy inn'it?

PS: sorry about your mum. Did she find foods she could use? Is she managing to control her weight?xx

Now that is crazy! Maybe the sugar is to stop the bran being too bland maybe? Then again isn't that the point?! The mind boggles..

Yeah shes managing ok with the diabetes and has now found a range of jams etc she can safely have and still enjoy it. I think shes just watching her calorie intake now and it seems to be working ok for her.

Now that is crazy! Maybe the sugar is to stop the bran being too bland maybe? Then again isn't that the point?! The mind boggles..

Yeah shes managing ok with the diabetes and has now found a range of jams etc she can safely have and still enjoy it. I think shes just watching her calorie intake now and it seems to be working ok for her.

I'm glad that your mum is coping better! :) my mum has diabetes too and I know how frustrating it can be, I risked of getting it myself as I was insulin/resistent when I was younger.

Have a look at the info:
Bran Flakes (100g)
Energy
- kJ 1503
- kcal 356
Protein (g) 10
Carbohydrates (g) 67
- sugars (g) 22
- starch (g) 45
Fat (g) 2
- saturates (g) 0.5
Fibre (g) 15
Sodium (g) 0.4

Ready Brek Chocolate 100g:
Energy (Kilojoules) 1603kJ
Energy (Calories) 380kcal
Protein 10.0g
Carbohydrate 63.6g
(of which sugars) 21.0g
Fat 8.0g
(of which saturates) 2.2g
Fibre 7.0g
Sodium trace 0.01g

However, the ORIGINAL all bran is slightly lower in sugars:
Energy
- kJ 1400
- kcal 334
Protein (g) 14
Carbohydrates (g) 48
- sugars (g) 18
- starch (g) 30
Fat (g) 3.5
- saturates (g) 0.7
Fibre (g) 27
Sodium (g) 0.45

but I don't feel it's an awful amount lower... if you compare it with the ORIGINAL ready break porridge, you see a massive difference:

Ready Brek original, 100g
Energy (Kilojoules) 1568kJ
Energy (Calories) 373kcal
Protein 11.7g
Carbohydrate 57.9g
(of which sugars) 1.0g
Fat 8.7g
(of which saturates) 1.2g
Fibre 7.9g
Sodium <0.1g

So althought the FIBRE intake is MUCH MUCH higher in the all-bran or bran flakes, they seem to compensate the lower fat with higher sugar, which is not good, as the saturated fat in ready brek is only slightly higher (1.2 sat fat for original and a little bit higher, 2.2, for chocolate) than the bran's (0.7 and 0.5), so that means that they're compensating the absence of possibly GOOD fat for taste with sugar which is bad for you, thanks very much! The calorie intake is also very similar, including the ready brek chocolate!

Makes you wonder how many other so called 'healthier options' are laden with sugars to counteract the lower fats.

One thing my MIL refuses to have is diabetic ice cream. Theres one available in the stores near us called Franks. She hates it and says she'd rather have a tiny scoop of normal than that!

Back