Shin splints

Discussion in 'Lipotrim Forum' started by nictastic, 18 May 2008 Social URL.

1. nictastic

nictastic Says it as it is!!!

Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Diet:
    LT / CD
    Hi guys,
    I have been training for my RFL in june; however i have recently been getting really bad shin splints when i am running...is there any way i can stop them .....I am NOT walking the race...i really really realy want to run it ...but these really hurt!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Daisybank

Daisybank Hmmmmmm!

Diet:
    Lipotrim
    cant help you hun but I am so jealous - I have always wanted to be able to go running, just cant do it tho. Have tried lots of times :(

4. nictastic

Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Diet:
    LT / CD
    I used to love it .....then i hated it as i became bigger ...but now it hurts :( gutted ..but i am soooo determind to do it
    Daisy ...have you tried it on a treadmill ....funnily enough its easier!
    Shame i can't do the race at the gym lmao

5. Porgeous

Porgeous Chilling

Start Weight:
    14st1lb
    Current Weight:
    8st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st5lb(38.07%)
    Diet:
    CD SS
    Don't know the answer I'm afraid hun, expect to rest. I've had the same before, that's what tap dancing at 14st does to ya and by heck they hurt!

Gx

6. Sheep

Sheep on the up lol

Diet:
    lipotrim
    lol i have a treadmill at home ,,,, my new toy , i get pains in legs to i just try n take it easy ........... build up to it and try warm up a lil more see if that helps

7. nictastic

Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Diet:
    LT / CD
    mmm rest isnt an option tho only have a few weeks left :(

8. nictastic

Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Diet:
    LT / CD
    mmmm maybe i need to buy new trainers...spending money always helps lol

9. fifi70

fifi70 Silver Member

Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Shin splints are what put me off running, I tried when I was bigger a few years ago and ended up in agony with my ankles and shins and had to take anti-inflammatory's , however yesterday morning when I was going for my weigh-in I ran for the bus (i don't drive) Gobsmacked or what, I didn't even get out of breath or break into a sweat, I might just have to give jogging a go.
    Nic go and see your GP and get some advice. xx

10. Sheep

Sheep on the up lol

Diet:
    lipotrim
    i did rfl few years bk...... i walked was to hot to run not that i could all way lol, just dont over do it though , i seen a few people drop on way round , new trainers may help ......... its good to spend money lol

11. fifi70

fifi70 Silver Member

Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Oh yes!! shopping will make it soooo much better, any excuse is a good excuse me thinks lol well it's what I tell my husband he he

12. Dancing

Dancing Gold Member

shin splints could be due to doing too much too soon instead of building up gradually. Or, as you say, due to the type of shoe you are wearing. It is definitely worth going to one of those shops where they analyse your stride, etc. and getting the correct shoe for you.

13. babejules

babejules Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st5lb
    Current Weight:
    15st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    weight watchers
    Hi Nic, did my rfl yesterday, know what you mean about shin splints they are agony. A couple of tips that helped me, Rest for 3 days I know its not what you want to hear but you will really feel the difference, take ibuprofen before the race it will keep the pain and swelling down, build your running up gradually each run should be no more than 10% harder or longer than the previous and invest in some proper trainers. I got mine from HE RUNS SHE RUNS, I was in there about 45 mins but my trainers are fantastic although they cost me about £80 (never mind). Hope this helps, only know all this cos my o/h did london marathon this year and spent months trying to get me to train!!

14. holly

holly Full Member

Diet:
    slimming world
    there's a really good shop in the triangle in manchester (upstairs) that my bro goes to, they test your gait with a running machine and computer and then tell you the best trainers to buy, they are really helpful. why not give them a try

15. tod2005

tod2005 Full Member

Diet:
    Lipotrim
    Hey Nic, I had the same pains in my shins when I started back in the gym, I guess the muslce wasn't used to all the work, I started to stretch these muscles and had a few days rest and went for it again. Dont over do it as those muscles probably used to such activity. It will get easier but will take few days. Make sure you stretch those muscles!

Also when you get back to the comfort of your home and you are relaxing for the night, rub deep heat into the muscle around the shin. Such relief :D

16. nictastic

Current Weight:
    8st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Diet:
    LT / CD
    Thanks guys will have a look at the shops and take your advice re the build up etc and the rest...if i have to ...wierd i used to be such a good runner ...gutted :(

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.