Shopping tips

Lovehatecarbs

Silver Member
I'm sure like many of you I'm trying to feed a family (of 5) on a budget and trying to be healthier. Our diet isn't bad but could be improved with more fresh fruit/veg, grains etc.

So what is the cheapest way to do this? I tend to do a shop online but there must be a cheaper way? I look for bargains - but is there a different way?

Ideas please gratefully received

Plan plan and plan some more, if you have the time of course. Planning what you're going to have for lunch/dinner each day and then buying what you need to make that helps cut down on impulse buys or coming to the end of the week thinking 'what on earth can I make with curried beans???'.

Also consider meals that can be made cheaply in large portions and then maybe eaten as leftovers/lunch the next day. If you're able to split your shopping between retailers check out Aldi and Lidl for fruit & veg special offers.

hi, there's only me and hubby, but, really trying to cut household budgets, at the mo, do a main tesco shop, but, for my fruit and salad stuff go to the market on a
saturday, we also have a really good meat van on our market(our market isn't that big) where u can get catering packs of bacon, and freeze them for £6, and budget packs of meat(for family's for about£50) which is quite good, as it includes steaks and beef joints, also if there's a poudland and homebargins, can be very good:D

I have to admit that since I started this healthy eating lark my food bill has increased. Especially where fruit and veg is concerned.

Being a singleton I mainly use frozen veggies if they are being cooked. Bags of frozen peppers, mushrooms, etc can be thrown into pasta sauces, chilli, cottage pies etc. Also try red lentils to make minced beef go further.

Baking your own flapjacks using Value/Basics porridge works out cheaper than buying cereal bars and they freeze really well. And you also get porridge for brekkie as well.

I also keep bags of frozen fruits in the freezer, can be used for crumbles, porridge or yogurt. Sainsburys Basics mixed fruit is very good.

You can get away with one chicken fillet and loads of veg in a pasta bake and mixing in cans of beans stretches it further too.

If you have a local asian/ethnic food shop you can usually get huge bags of rice there and the packs of spices are usually a lot cheaper too.

Mine costs more too, its difficult!

I agree that lidl fruit and veg etc is generally much cheaper. I go there 1st and get as much stuff of my list as I can, then go to Tesco for the rest.

Planning def helps x

Somebody I work with buys all the reduced fruit and veg and freezes it.

I haven't been to lidl - I know Aldi do their reduced fruit/veg

I might start shopping with just one of the kids so I can do the Market and different shops - I don't even know if my Market has a veg stall!! It's impossible with all three so I just give up and shop online

I hadn't thought of a pasta and chicken bake - the kids and OH might eat that and yes I can see it would take less meat

I sort of start with a plan then the week goes to pot!!

I've been watching Gillian mckieth and she makes you feel that you need to buy fresh not frozen - but does it really matter - still better than cake and crisps!!

I can't make flapjack - any fool proof recipes appreciated!!

Flapjack is easy peasy lol

My basic recipe is:

5 oz butter/reduced fat spread suitable for baking
3 oz brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
8 oz porridge oats
pinch of salt
1 oz walnuts chopped
A handful of fresh/frozen blueberries

Melt butter, sugar and syrup in pan over low heat, remove from heat. Don't let it bubble.

Add porridge oats and salt and stir into butter mixture.

Stir in nuts and berries

Pour into baking tray 12" x 8" and spread out evenly.

Bake at 160o C for approximately 20-25 minutes until flapjacks are golden brown.

Mark into slices with knife and leave to cool in tin until cold. Makes 10-14 slices depending on how generous you are.

The blueberries and walnuts are optional, you can throw in anything you like really nuts, seeds, apple, dried fruit. I have also started using puree'd fruit or low-sugar jam instead of the golden syrup.

It's a bit late this year but how about growing your own?? If you haven't got a garden see if you can get an allotment.. Not only will you cut cost but you'll also be getting extra exercise :)

Do you have a farm shop near you?? Like the market, they do tend to be cheaper.

Flapjack is easy peasy lol

My basic recipe is:

5 oz butter/reduced fat spread suitable for baking
3 oz brown sugar
3 tablespoons golden syrup
8 oz porridge oats
pinch of salt
1 oz walnuts chopped
A handful of fresh/frozen blueberries

Melt butter, sugar and syrup in pan over low heat, remove from heat. Don't let it bubble.

Add porridge oats and salt and stir into butter mixture.

Stir in nuts and berries

Pour into baking tray 12" x 8" and spread out evenly.

Bake at 160o C for approximately 20-25 minutes until flapjacks are golden brown.

Mark into slices with knife and leave to cool in tin until cold. Makes 10-14 slices depending on how generous you are.

The blueberries and walnuts are optional, you can throw in anything you like really nuts, seeds, apple, dried fruit. I have also started using puree'd fruit or low-sugar jam instead of the golden syrup.

Nicking that one. Cheers hun :) oooh, imagine raspberries. xx

Blackberries are out at the moment, so take a long walk withthe kids and an old ice cream tub or 7 and pick away, can use to make jams, crumbles, for brekkie etc and can be frozen :)

Wish said:
Blackberries are out at the moment, so take a long walk withthe kids and an old ice cream tub or 7 and pick away, can use to make jams, crumbles, for brekkie etc and can be frozen :)

Thanks - good idea will do that at the weekend!!

Keep an eye out for wild plumbs as well.. Ask around and there may be someone near you who has a plumb tree.. If there is and their tree is anything like my friends tree, they will be more than happy for you to take some :)

Keep an eye out for wild plumbs as well.. Ask around and there may be someone near you who has a plumb tree.. If there is and their tree is anything like my friends tree, they will be more than happy for you to take some :)

My dads plum tree has split down the middle due to the weight of them all! It's taped together now :rolleyes:

Brilliant thread. The only way i can suggest to save is to plan as others have said...i freeze a lot and take out only as needed, such as a few slices of bread the night before for sandwiches for lunch the next day, too much gets wasted here otherwise.

Back