Should i give up on SW?

Issues in your food diary:

Monday half a hea on cheese. What happened to the other half? My consultant told another member healthy extras can't be split, e.g. half cheese and half milk.

Is your wm pitta from co-op or Asda? Those are the only ones allowed as a heb.

Friday you had 2 heb in the toast and pitta, one needs to be synned. I checked to see it wasn't a red day but you have humous and sweet potato too so I ruled that out.

Sunday you have 3 heb, oats (were they weighed?) And 2 in your sandwich. I wad wondering what the filling was ad it wasn't listed.

I wonder what else may have slipped past you without you noticing. It is easily done.

Hi. I'm new here, so excuse me for being presumptuous by just jumping in and giving advice on my very first post, but...

You said that you eat 10-15 syns a day. I know that this is allowed, but considering the diet isn't working for you have you considered cutting out some of those syns? And you said that you've cut down on pasta, etc, but I just want to say anyway that some of the free foods will cause a stall or a weight gain if you're not careful with them. Like spaghetti; it's a free food and in theory you can eat it all you want, but if you actually did you would be very unhappy on weigh-in day.

I would say that you need to try to experiment with cutting down on syns and eating as much superfree as you can. Like, maybe make all of your snacks fruit.

If you want to get into a food diary that calculates calories and portions I think that MyFitnessPal is the best. You can use their website or, better yet, you can download their app for your phone and if your phone has a barcode scanner you can just scan the foods you eat. The only downside is that the app is geared towards American products and if you're not in the US a lot of stuff you scan won't be found...but it's still handy.

I came to SW from calorie counting and this diet freaks me out sometimes. I still can't get my head around eating all the fruit I want and not measuring. I actually still measure some things. Like spaghetti, because as I said above, some things will mess up your losses if you don't know what a portion actually is and you would be surprised by how small a single serving of spaghetti is. Before I started measuring it out I would usually eat a family's worth of pasta in one sitting and had no idea.

Good luck!

Franalamadingdong said:

Monday half a hea on cheese. What happened to the other half? My consultant told another member healthy extras can't be split, e.g. half cheese and half milk.

Friday you had 2 heb in the toast and pitta, one needs to be synned. I checked to see it wasn't a red day but you have humous and sweet potato too so I ruled that out.

Sunday you have 3 heb, oats (were they weighed?) And 2 in your sandwich. I wad wondering what the filling was ad it wasn't listed.

I wonder what else may have slipped past you without you noticing. It is easily done.

I noticed these things too but also the apple crumble and cream synned at 6 syns. This seems really low?!

I would say go back to the books and just try SW again but without the guessing etc. I found having a food diary on here helped me loads at the start. Ask for criticism etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

do u snack?? i find i have better losses with only a couple of hours between foods. so like 8am breakfast, 1030snack 1230lunch 230 snack, 5pm dinner and 730 snack. seems like alot of meals but i found when i cou ted calories and cut foods i lost very little/or nothing. also try to have all 15of ur syns a day and your hexs =] fingers crossed you find a solution!!!!! =]

Okay, fast forward is the plan of which we do not speak on here. Only discussed with a consultant

You are cutting out too many things, this is not really following SW. You shouldn't have to cut out things.

If you are going to count calories then don't go below 1200. If you want a low cal diet then follow Rosemary Conley, this is 1200 cals for 2 weeks then it increases to an amount worked out by your weight etc, probably a bit like you've just done.

I can't see your diary very well, it goes awry on iPad, but it looks like a bit of superfree is lacking on some meals.

I do believe SW works for all, but it doesn't suit everyone.

Hi Thanks for reply - I don't really want to have to count cals but was suggested by somebody on this post to see roughly how many a day i have been consuming! And i only cut out things to see if it made a difference (it hasn't)
I eat loads of super free in way of veg and salad with every meal exception is breakie when i have strawberries as a rule - thanks

If your having 1200 or there abouts every day and not losing weight then there HAS to be an underlying problem. You absolutely will not gsin weight consuming those calories or not lose any at all from the off. To plateau you would see a big drop in weight first until your body weight met the energy your burning and your metabolism slows to meet this new intake, you wouldn't just not lose weight at all. The only other thing is you could be grossly underestimating your portions, are you weighing everything? Are you levelling off teaspoons/tablespoons? Are you picking at food but not writing down that your eating it? Are your portions big? I would recommend calorie counting alongside Sw, just for a week but it means NO snacking freely on anything, you must weigh and measure EVERYTHING, including sugar free juice. Just see it as an experiment, if you stick to 1200 cals a day for one week abd still lose nothing then there is definitely a problem. If you lose weight you know your slipping up somewhere on the Sw plan in the way if portions etc x

On average i'm eating around 1300 cals (i've looked back over last 10 weeks and it averages as that) going to try lowering to 1200 maybe and see if that works if not i believe as you say that there is an underlying prob - thanks.

Good spotting - I didn't know we weren't allowed to split the HEA as i usually do that and half half say cheese and half milk in tea! (missed that off my meal plan)

Pitta is always Co-ops - and definately under syned on 3 HEB's sandwich was ham salad. I only do EE as a rule but sometimes do odd green or red.
Must check my food diary to make sure i am listing my HE's correctly and syning any that are over. Thanks for that.

I noticed these things too but also the apple crumble and cream synned at 6 syns. This seems really low?!

I would say go back to the books and just try SW again but without the guessing etc. I found having a food diary on here helped me loads at the start. Ask for criticism etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

It was a Weight Watchers Apple crumble ;o) And light anchor squirty cream so the syns were correct.
Maybe a food diary is the way to go as i do need input and advice - Thanks

do u snack?? i find i have better losses with only a couple of hours between foods. so like 8am breakfast, 1030snack 1230lunch 230 snack, 5pm dinner and 730 snack. seems like alot of meals but i found when i cou ted calories and cut foods i lost very little/or nothing. also try to have all 15of ur syns a day and your hexs =] fingers crossed you find a solution!!!!! =]

Hi if i snack i snack on pickled onions or some melon or satsuma's ;O) Usually snack before tea as thats when i'm hungiest! What do you snack on?

You can split healthy extras. Some consultants say you can't but the SW website says you can.

1200 cals is low and you shouldn't go lower. If you are noticing on 1300 it won't make much difference.

Why not rejoin SW, follow it properly and if you haven't lost in 4 weeks you will get your money back. Or follow a weekly plan in a RC or WW mag to see if it suits you better.

My view is never hugely popular on SW threads just to warn you in advance but ill attempt to help you : )

I've used a variety of ways to lose 6 stone and am currently 9 stone and size 8 - this is what I personally believe will shift the weight ... If you were to try a week of it , I'm positive you'd see a decent loss

1 eat three times a day - no snacks

2 you are eating carbs with every single meal from the quick look I had at your diary - it's really easy to have cereal for breakfast , pitta for lunch and pasta for dinner . Add in snacks of a banana and a cereal bar and boom! Quite the carb fest. Try and I my have carbs with one of your meals a day and cut out white carbs completely

3 calorie count. It's the only way to be completely sure of your food intake and it limits your portions . Write down everything ruthlessly. And be totally honest with yourself .

Try and stop eating the muiller light yogurts - mainly because they're full of crap. Far better is plain natural yogurt with added berries

I'm pretty confident that the above tips will help you - and yes - before I'm lynched - I know the ethos of SW is to eat ' free' carbs like pasta and rice.

Something about SW is not working for you . Try the above tweaks and see what happens

Lots of luck

Just wanted to add that my friend who was ALWAYS a size 8-10 had her gall bladder removed and since then she struggles to lose weight. It could be related hun xx

Hi conlou - thanks for that, its a theory i've been looking into too!

My view is never hugely popular on SW threads just to warn you in advance but ill attempt to help you : )

I've used a variety of ways to lose 6 stone and am currently 9 stone and size 8 - this is what I personally believe will shift the weight ... If you were to try a week of it , I'm positive you'd see a decent loss

2 you are eating carbs with every single meal from the quick look I had at your diary - it's really easy to have cereal for breakfast , pitta for lunch and pasta for dinner . Add in snacks of a banana and a cereal bar and boom! Quite the carb fest. Try and I my have carbs with one of your meals a day and cut out white carbs completely

3 calorie count. It's the only way to be completely sure of your food intake and it limits your portions . Write down everything ruthlessly. And be totally honest with yourself .

Try and stop eating the muiller light yogurts - mainly because they're full of crap. Far better is plain natural yogurt with added berries

I'm pretty confident that the above tips will help you - and yes - before I'm lynched - I know the ethos of SW is to eat ' free' carbs like pasta and rice.

Something about SW is not working for you . Try the above tweaks and see what happens

Lots of luck

Thanks - this is an interesting post and one i'm willing to give a go along with other suggestions as i really am in need of getting this weight loss moving.

GretaGrip said:

Lots of luck

Aside from cereal, a pitta, some pasta & banana & cereal bar being in no way a 'carb fest' I don't think there is a great deal to argue with here!

I am struggling to understand how anyone can eat carbs 3 meals a day & eat 1300 calories unless they are eating minuscule portions of them. I completely agree on the muller lights - anything with that much sweetener in it cannot be good for you!

I might get my head bitten off here - but am I right in saying your consultant looked at your food diary and could see nothing wrong?????

As Fran pointed out things like too many heb and things not being syn'd - if people here can see it and your C cant this would tell me something is wrong.

Sorry but just a thought

Texty_F said:
I might get my head bitten off here - but am I right in saying your consultant looked at your food diary and could see nothing wrong?????

As Fran pointed out things like too many heb and things not being syn'd - if people here can see it and your C cant this would tell me something is wrong.

Sorry but just a thought

Most true!

Sorry but just a thought

No she didn't - but she not this food diary this is a recent one i stopped going to class a while back as i felt a failure with rubbish WI results ;o(

hiya, snacks tend to be ss fruit and yoghurt or a low syn cereal bar. just a thought, you do zumba, have you taken your measurements? may be a case of youve lost inches and not lbs. also drinking lots of water? just a thought because i tend to loose very little when i excersie alot(prolly due to me not drinking enought water)

kingleds - maybe 'carb fest' was too strong a phrase! : ) But it's so easy how these things stack up... I am quite sure that at some point in the not so distant future, SW will do away with the pasta/rice thing as 'free foods.' It really stalls some folks weight loss because let's face it... I could probably eat 700 calories worth of pasta quite easily!!

Im lucky in that I dont eat a lot of rice and even less pasta as im not keen on it - and despise it even more when cold lol

Hiya

It really sucks that you're having a tough time losing! :eek:(

I've done sw and poss every other diet in the past but with success

I access from my iPhone so can't see stats but do you have much to lose?? I have over 5 n half stone if that helps :-/

Are you a member of a team on here? Or do you have a buddy or buddies on here? And what day do you weigh n when is the start of a new week for you?

I only restarted Monday gone n have had a poorly child n been laid up with a migraine all day so have already deviated a tad but we'll see coms weigh in :eek:)

I was thinking to maybe buddy up I'm happy to do that over on the teams thread if you like n perhaps 1 or 2 more ppl can join. My thoughts are to write a weeks meal plan. In the name of keeping everything simple have that meal plan include nothing that needs to be weighed (unless you can't go without your milk in drinks then that's fine. But I mean reduce any chances of error so no cereal etc but maybe Pitta or scan bran etc.

Could post the weeks meal plan in advance including snacks n stick to it religiously for the week, but update daily with progress and any deviations. How many syns do you have per day?

I access from my phone so can come on here any time during working hrs too! But happy to swap numbers for text support or anything of that'd help.

Also take measurements as well as weight as with the exercise you could be gaining muscle.

What do you think? If you're up for it, any other ladies care to participate in the mission to get this lady on track :)

Hi Shell - there is a need SW buddies thread on here I know a few new people have joined it just recently - it seems its a good idea to buddy up as it helps give moral support to people who are of similar weight etc and want to lose the same amount as each other, maybe worthwhile popping onto that thread and see what you think if no one wants to text etc. Its lovely of you to offer help and support to someone baring in mind you just joined yourself. Good Luck to you and keep us posted :)

Back