Should i join the gym??

flabbybumbum

On a mission
Hi
Some of you may not know me, I used to post my diary in this thread but had to move it for personal reasons to the members only section so it couldnt be googled.

Well, as the title says, I am considering joining a gym. I made some enquiries and i can get off peak (9-5) membership plus unlimited swimming for £20 a month. Theres no annual fee or anything.

I know that I need to exercise to aid my weightloss, im just worried that i wont physically be able to do much and will show myself up big time. The thought of walking into a gym full of skinnies fills me with dread! And as for the swimming, dont even get me started on how im gona get myself in a costume!

So, sorry about the waffle, my question is, those of you that have/nt taken the plunge, can you tell me how you got over that initial fear (if you had any) and also what you were able to do at first etc.

Ooooh which gym is this? That sounds like a bargain! :D

I think you should go for it hun.. it can only help! You only live once :D xx

When i first joined this forum and started my diet i had the same thoughts about joining a gym. Check out my thread here.
http://www.minimins.com/fitness-exercise/112483-do-we-get-laugh.html

When you join a gym they will take you through all the machines and if you want they can work out a suitable/healthy exercise program for you. This is what i did, i pay £30 a month so you got a great deal there. I say go for it. You can see in my thread how worried i was and now i cannot believe i felt like that lol.

When i first started i did a casual walk on the treadmill and over the course of one month i now do a brisk walk on the highests incline on the machine for 20mins (climbed 200metres today =]) I just went for it and i will never look back!

I havnt been swimming in over 5yrs and now i go twice a week. NEVER in a million years would i have thought i would do that, just shows you if you want it you can do it.
I really hope my post has help you, atleast go for the induction and see what happens from there x

Goodluck with whatever you decide to do.

Red. x

hey hun!!!

it took me months to go to the gym and i cant belive how worried i was about it!! i feel really silly now! I will tell you know the first time is the worst but once u have gone in there and know what to do it gets easier every time!

well i too thought there would be lots of skinny minnys about and when i go there i was suprised how many people who were there just like me! At the end of the day you are there for one reason and if some one is there looking all chilled and relaxed they r not doing it rite! The gym look is not a good look so every one is in the same boat hun!!

With regards to your induction i phoned and made an appointment and made sure i got a lady instructor and she was really nice! I told her i was depressed and wanted to loose weight and tone up and generally wanted to feel happier! I told her id not exercised for ... well id not done anything physical since school and i wasnt up for a 3k run on the tread mill! hahah

She started me off by showing me the machines and set the treadmill at a gentle walkin pace so i could get used to it! and i had a really gentle plan on the machines to get used to for a month and then had a review in 4 weeks time to up the work out! I even found my self upping the speed and levels on the machines as my confidence built up!

The buzz you get after you have done your work out (and counted up how many cals i had burnt hehe) is amazing!

Having said all this its all down to you and how you feel about going. What is your gut feelin do u want to join? There is no point in makin your self go if you are really against going cos you wont enjoy it and it will be like a chore! Can you do classes under the £20 per month ?

sorry for the long post:D:D:D:D hope i havent made matters worse hehehe

luv katiexxxx

Ooooh which gym is this? That sounds like a bargain! :D

I think you should go for it hun.. it can only help! You only live once :D xx
Its only the one at the leisure centre, but i thought quite reasonable price

Thanks Red, im going off to read it now...........

hey hun!!!

it took me months to go to the gym and i cant belive how worried i was about it!! i feel really silly now! I will tell you know the first time is the worst but once u have gone in there and know what to do it gets easier every time!

well i too thought there would be lots of skinny minnys about and when i go there i was suprised how many people who were there just like me! At the end of the day you are there for one reason and if some one is there looking all chilled and relaxed they r not doing it rite! The gym look is not a good look so every one is in the same boat hun!!

With regards to your induction i phoned and made an appointment and made sure i got a lady instructor and she was really nice! I told her i was depressed and wanted to loose weight and tone up and generally wanted to feel happier! I told her id not exercised for ... well id not done anything physical since school and i wasnt up for a 3k run on the tread mill! hahah

She started me off by showing me the machines and set the treadmill at a gentle walkin pace so i could get used to it! and i had a really gentle plan on the machines to get used to for a month and then had a review in 4 weeks time to up the work out! I even found my self upping the speed and levels on the machines as my confidence built up!

The buzz you get after you have done your work out (and counted up how many cals i had burnt hehe) is amazing!

Having said all this its all down to you and how you feel about going. What is your gut feelin do u want to join? There is no point in makin your self go if you are really against going cos you wont enjoy it and it will be like a chore! Can you do classes under the £20 per month ?

sorry for the long post:D:D:D:D hope i havent made matters worse hehehe

luv katiexxxx
Sounds like you are BUZZIN from the gym!
It doesnt include classes but to be honest i think gym and swim enough for me to be starting with !
Of course you havent made things worse, i value all your opinions, that why i asked! xx

Dont worry about showing yourself up or anything..

I go to a local gym 5 days a week 3 days swimming and 2 days in the gym they are reaaaally good.

I asked for a induction I was shown around shown how to work all the machines the lad sat down with me asked what I wanted out of the gym and worked out a whole program for me - which he says he can change on a weekly or monthly basis.

its a little scary at first I was expecting tiny little gym bunnies all blonde (no offence to blondes here) and perky and in a month of going there ive not seen one :D

oh and at my gym for the £25 a month fee I also get a whole load of free classes I could join like yoga/aerobics/spinning etc..

Just do it as the nike logo says :D

oops sorry i crashed into ya forum but we dont got our own so im visiting yours

Abby - i went to the leisure centre this morning (SW class held there) and there was a HUGE sign right as you walk in offering the membership for £20 :D

Maybe when i'm feeling a bit better about myself i might pluck up the courage to try it out and get in the pool for the first time in YEARS! :eek:

Beki you should do it x I bet you look smoking in a bathing suit tehehe

Haha red.. you would NOT be saying that if you'd actually seen me in one :rotflmao:

Maybe in 4-5st time.. then yes.. smoooookin :p

Back