Should i syn milk or cheese?

Autumn500

Silver Member
Hiya :) I'm going to be doing slimming world from home starting next week, so have been spending some time getting my head around it. Breakfast for me will generally consist of fruit or magic porridge and a green monster smoothie. I use soya milk or almond milk and I also have a couple of milky coffees per day.on looking at some nice recipes, a lot of the ones I'm interested in use cheese, so I'm confusing myself now on whether its best to use milk as a healthy extra a and syn my cheese, or vice versa? I'm probably over thinking it but I've confused myself-I want to get the best value out of syns and healthy extras.

Hope that sort of made sense!

Hi Autumn500

I also use almond milk - blue mountain and alpro unsweetened allow for almost a full Carton. What I do is, on days I want cheese I use it as a HE and syn the milk. 600mls of alpro unsweetened almond milk is only 3 syns where as a 30g portion of cheese (depending on the cheese your using) is 6 syns. I always syn my milk. You can also split your HE - half milk, half cheese but 15g of cheese, unless on a sandwich isn't very much.

K x

Thank you very much for your help,that makes a lot of sense!

Hiya :) I'm going to be doing slimming world from home starting next week, so have been spending some time getting my head around it. Breakfast for me will generally consist of fruit or magic porridge and a green monster smoothie. I use soya milk or almond milk and I also have a couple of milky coffees per day.on looking at some nice recipes, a lot of the ones I'm interested in use cheese, so I'm confusing myself now on whether its best to use milk as a healthy extra a and syn my cheese, or vice versa? I'm probably over thinking it but I've confused myself-I want to get the best value out of syns and healthy extras.

Hope that sort of made sense!

Just read through this and I agree that you should use the heA for the smaller amount of dairy that you want. Also, I noticed you have a smoothie for breakfast-what do you put in it, as any fruit would need to be synned aswell :)

Sorry, when you say smaller amount of dairy what do you mean? The smoothie is banana spinach and milk, so I was going to give it four syns for banana and then either hexa or syn the milk- you are meant to us peanut butter also but I can't justify the syns lol.sounds gross but its lovely!

Sorry, when you say smaller amount of dairy what do you mean? The smoothie is banana spinach and milk, so I was going to give it four syns for banana and then either hexa or syn the milk- you are meant to us peanut butter also but I can't justify the syns lol.sounds gross but its lovely!

If you were wanting cheese and almond milk for example, you'd be best using the heA that would cost the most syns if that makes sense! You could have 40g of reduced fat cheese for your heA, and then the almond milk is really low syn, as you can have 875ml as a heA! Hope that makes sense

Ah yes, understand now, thanks very much! Is almond milk def 875ml for hea? The unsweetened kind I assume? That's crazy!

Hi, Why would the fruit need to be synned in a smoothie? I thought it was just if it was cooked it had to be synned?

Yeah, it would have to be synned because its being mushed up rather than eaten whole-it's one of those slimming world rules that causes a lot of debate but as I'm just starting out I want to try and do it by the letter to stop any little tweaks and bad habits setting in!

Hi Autumn500

I also use almond milk - blue mountain and alpro unsweetened allow for almost a full Carton. What I do is, on days I want cheese I use it as a HE and syn the milk. 600mls of alpro unsweetened almond milk is only 3 syns where as a 30g portion of cheese (depending on the cheese your using) is 6 syns. I always syn my milk. You can also split your HE - half milk, half cheese but 15g of cheese, unless on a sandwich isn't very much.

K x

I've actually asked this question once before but forgot where so don't know if it was answered or not! :p Does the almond milk actually taste of almond? Just can't imagine it in tea if it does! I'm glad Autumn asked this question re which one to syn as I've been wondering about that too so your answer was very helpful. Thanks.

I've actually asked this question once before but forgot where so don't know if it was answered or not! :p Does the almond milk actually taste of almond? Just can't imagine it in tea if it does! I'm glad Autumn asked this question re which one to syn as I've been wondering about that too so your answer was very helpful. Thanks.

I am drinking it in tea right now. No it doesn't taste of almond at all, it's fine. Just doesn't have the milky dairy taste.

Back