Shredded Meat! - Confused.com

Is if Free?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hello I joined slimming world this week and have done a lot of meal prep for the week. I made the Slimming world diet coke gammon which i thought was syn free, removed the meat and cooked it in the slow cooker whole initially, then once it was falling apart I shredded it and left it to cook in the sauce for about an hour more. The gammon tastes amazing and I was telling my friend about it and she about had a dippy when i told her it was syn free - according to her i should have syn'd it (and quiet a lot of syns) because i shredded it during the cooking. Is this correct?

Been a member for 3 weeks and am also utterly confused about syns. A regular days menu may consist of 1 weetabix with fresh fruit, lunch 1 small whole meal bread with lots of salad and a slice of lean ham or chicken then dinner following various Slimming World recipes and snacking with either fresh fruit or a Mueller light yoghurt. Been told I am over syning on my healthy B - I do syn the weetabix but apart from Saturday (can't resist the wine and Brandy) my daily intake is always less than the 15 limit. Am I not supposed to eat any bread or withgo my breakfast?
Saralisa

Hello I joined slimming world this week and have done a lot of meal prep for the week. I made the Slimming world diet coke gammon which i thought was syn free, removed the meat and cooked it in the slow cooker whole initially, then once it was falling apart I shredded it and left it to cook in the sauce for about an hour more. The gammon tastes amazing and I was telling my friend about it and she about had a dippy when i told her it was syn free - according to her i should have syn'd it (and quiet a lot of syns) because i shredded it during the cooking. Is this correct?

Hiya

I think your friend is wrong...

I have no idea why she thinks it would be synned because it has been shredded. Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this but the official SW pulled pork recipe is completely syn free. As long as you remove the fat from the meat and use diet cola, then there is no reason why it wouldn't be free. The only syn value it could possibly have is if you added sauces e.g. bbq sauce or chilli sauce that would have a syn value.

If you cook fruit, you do have to syn it. Or mash certain fruits. Maybe your friend was confused by the breakdown of foods :/

Been a member for 3 weeks and am also utterly confused about syns. A regular days menu may consist of 1 weetabix with fresh fruit, lunch 1 small whole meal bread with lots of salad and a slice of lean ham or chicken then dinner following various Slimming World recipes and snacking with either fresh fruit or a Mueller light yoghurt. Been told I am over syning on my healthy B - I do syn the weetabix but apart from Saturday (can't resist the wine and Brandy) my daily intake is always less than the 15 limit. Am I not supposed to eat any bread or withgo my breakfast?
Saralisa

Hiya!

You can have 2 Weetabix biscuits per day as your hexB. If you were only to have 1 Weetabix, that would be about 20g, so in essence you could use that remaining 20g elsewhere - like 1 slice of wholemeal bread (400g loaf).

You are going it absolutely fine. 1 Weetabix and 1 slice of small wholemeal bread is absolutely OK as your hexB choice - I wouldn't syn anything there. Only if you add butter or jam etc.. to the bread. Or sugar to the Weetabix etc...

Thank you very much for your reply, it was very helpful and cleared up the confusion on my part. Up and onwards or should I say hopefully downwards

Yup completely agree unless there was fat on it.... Maybe she is confused as if you cook something with fat on it and then remove the fat it isn't syn free (necessarily) as it will have cooked in the fat. I don't use this rule for everything though, such as if I know someone has grilled bacon and I remove the fat I still count that as syn free... but if it has been sitting in the fat then I would not

Thank you everyone for your help.
I cut off all the fat and didn't add anything Syn's to my sauce. I am thrilled to hear that I didn't unintentionally sabotage myself :)
also a little please to hear she was wrong hehe ;)

Back