Silvery stretch marks

Samprand

WILL do it!
Just wondering if any of u have any magic cures for stretch marks that have faded to silvery lines? Have started to use Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula - I know theyre effective on purple/red stretch marks, but are they any good for silver ones?

How regular a use over what kind of period of time?

Sorry but once you've got stretchmarks there is nothing you can do to get rid of them. They are a form of scars caused by tearing of the dermis and although they do fade over time you can't repair or get rid of them.

Creams can sometime help with the appearance of stretchmarks - usually more so when they are fresh. More info here on using bio oil but they say you need to use it for a minimum of 3 months

Bio Oil - Improving the appearance of stretch marks

I have some stretch marks. I always moisturize my skin with cocoa butter or olive butter but they never go totally away, but they surelly become less noticeable as the time goes on;)

xx

Apparantly Palmers Skin Therapy oil is good for reducing the appearance of stretchmarks - I've only started using it today so I can't comment on it myself. They recommend you use it 3 times a day - though I've found stories on the internet of people using it less than that and reporting a difference in the appearance of their marks. Mine are silvery too, so I'm not too sure on how much difference it is going to make but it was £5.10 in Morrisons and about half the price of the small Bio Oil. Even if it doesn't reduce stretchmarks it makes your skin feel lovely and soft! I love the cocoa butter so I thought I'd give it a go.

How regular a use over what kind of period of time?

You need to use it for a few months

I have stretchmarks, I'd like to know this too.

And, yes, Bio Oil will get rid of the silvery marks but it takes time. It's not cheap to buy but so worth the time and money. Even though stretch marks are not hugely noticeable when they're silver, it's annoying especially when you put on fake tan and it highlights them! I'm delighted to have gotten rid of some of them - only used Bio Oil on certain areas to see if it would work...

You need to use it for a few months

And, yes, Bio Oil will get rid of the silvery marks but it takes time. It's not cheap to buy but so worth the time and money. Even though stretch marks are not hugely noticeable when they're silver, it's annoying especially when you put on fake tan and it highlights them! I'm delighted to have gotten rid of some of them - only used Bio Oil on certain areas to see if it would work...

Ok thanks. :)

I have silver stretch marks on my tummy and thighs from pregnancies (the last of which was almost 5 years ago!) and nothing i've tried has made any real difference to them...am currently trying to make friends with them lol!

They will never go away unfortunately. I'm only 21 & grew up too quick. I have stretchmarks on my hips and on my boobs which used to get me depressed but i've learnt to live with what you have as there are people much worse off :) I think you take more notice of them than other people do. I use cocoa butter which helps abit x

Bio Oil is the only product that has worked for mine - they actually go after regular use over a period of time!
I agree with the bio oil! lol I used it for a few months and it helps other scars as well. It also will fade when your skin is more comfortable and fitted to your new size.

I hate to upset anyone as this will be the 2nd stretch mark thread I have commented in. But I feel it's best to be honest and when it comes to having stretch marks (and a big dislike of having them) not to get your hopes up wasting money on things that just don't work.

Basically you cannot remove stretch marks unless you literally cut away that area of skin, for example if they are below your belly button then a tummy tuck would do that. Creams/oils do not work because stretch marks are in the dermis which is the lower layer of skin, when you apply creams etc they just sit on or penetrate the epidermis (outer layer of skin) and they are unable to penetrate deep enough into the skin to even come into contact with the stretch marks themselves. Honestly, there is no magic stretch mark cream out there it's all marketing hype praying on peoples insecurities to make money. I have been a member of 1 thread on a forum that has been discussing stretch marks over the last 6 and a half years, it's 620 pages long! and people there have tried all sorts of things (lasers, chemical peels, skin filing, skin brushing, creams, oils and lots more) and yet no one has come up with a cure to get rid of their stretch marks. Silver ones are the worst because they are old and are actually now a scar in the dermis, laser has the best results on new stretch marks that are still pink/purple and so does Retin A.

Some creams might make the epidermis change in appearance so then the stretch marks 'look' better but you cannot remove them unfortunately. I've been researching stretch marks and stretch mark removal for over 3 years and I've been so depressed about mine to the point I didn't want to be here anymore. During my 3+ years of research I've finally accepted there will probably be no cure for them in my life time and I'm just going to have to accept mine... as hard as it is, I'm very slowly getting there.

I feel for anyone who is upset with their stretch marks but feel bad even more when I see people believing creams will remove them :(.

PS: I have tried both Bio Oil and Palmers Cocoa butter with no results, I just wanted to add that incase anyone thought I was saying the above without any experience of trying these two products. I've also tried a lot more stuff but I don't want to go on and on... I think the best results I got was using a derma roller, but that's not something you do without knowing what you're doing and having done your research (there's plenty of info on the internet) so I'll leave it there with that one.

Last edited:
never really thought of stretch marks as scars before - how depressing lol makes sense though, since our bodies weren't designed to get so big the skin would have to stretch (apart from during pregnancy of course)

I am proud of mine, they are badges of honour, I am a Mum and proud of what that entails, and know how very lucky I am to have them.

I hate mine but my little girls make them worth having :)

Back