Single Mothers!

FrozenAngel

So I have abit of a rant/moan to make.

I have a three year old. And I'm a single mother, well a lone parent should I say because I have a partner but it's long distance now, since he's moved back to London.

I'm currently bored out of my mind. I don't live close to my family. Or my friends, so I don't get to see them that much (Though one is on their way yay)
I'm trying to find a job, so I can put Linc in nursery and feel like I actually do something with my life instead of sit in all day.

In the past three weeks I've applied for atleast 60 jobs. And not even reached an interveiw stage. I can't help but to think that the reason for this is because I was advised to put on my CV that the gap in my employment was due to raising my family. And now whatever I apply for I don't have the 'right experiance' for it. Even though they are all jobs I've done previously.

Grr! It's like you want to do something but aren't able to do so, feels like I'm being penalised for having a small child.

Sorry for the rant. :p

I know how hard it is my boyfriends been trying for nearly a year with no interviews and he has a degree

when i was a single mum years ago i had quite a gap in my employment too
my first step was take my daughter to a playgroup help out get involved that led to a part time job in child care that has led to teaching and now im a tutor ok 20 years it took me but i had no experiance no education and no money but now i love my job love the fact i didn't sit at home when i could have done i know its very hard these days but you will have something to give !
even if its only time
don't give in
i have a friend who started leaflet droping on her way to school for a charity --she is now in management for that charity earning a good living and she had no o levels gcse or anything

debz x

So I have abit of a rant/moan to make.

I have a three year old. And I'm a single mother, well a lone parent should I say because I have a partner but it's long distance now, since he's moved back to London.

I'm currently bored out of my mind. I don't live close to my family. Or my friends, so I don't get to see them that much (Though one is on their way yay)
I'm trying to find a job, so I can put Linc in nursery and feel like I actually do something with my life instead of sit in all day.

In the past three weeks I've applied for atleast 60 jobs. And not even reached an interveiw stage. I can't help but to think that the reason for this is because I was advised to put on my CV that the gap in my employment was due to raising my family. And now whatever I apply for I don't have the 'right experiance' for it. Even though they are all jobs I've done previously.

Grr! It's like you want to do something but aren't able to do so, feels like I'm being penalised for having a small child.

Sorry for the rant. :p

Hi Hun,

I can sympatise with you but please don't feel like you are being penalised for having a small child- I also have a 3 year old and am a full time store manager. Employers are looking for people who have passion, drive, are motivated and committed- whether or not they have children is irrelevant. I know thats not something I take into consideration when I hire staff and 1 of my team has 3 children the other 2.

A couple of things really stand out from your post- you say you have applied for over 60 jobs? How have you applied? If its by email or post you are wasting your time. The amount of CV's employers receive via those methods is absolutely immense- there is no physical way they can screen all cv's- it wouldnt matter if your cv was the best one ever written unfortunately with the level being sent in chances are it wont even be looked at.

I would strongly recommend narrowing down the positions or companies your interested in- glam yourself up and personally go to stores and ask to speak with a member of management- state that you are interested in a position with them and would like to hand in your cv (always make sure your availability is the first thing on your cv)
Do things to make your CV stand out from the crowd- have it printed on pink paper, tailor it to each company so it looks like you have a real interest in them and not like your just thrashing out the same cv to anybody!

What sector are you looking for work in?

Having a gap for raising your family on your cv is perfectly fine and extremely common but do not look on it like its a negative. Being a stay at home mum is the hardest job- look at all the skills you have to use being a mum-Strong ability to multi task, excellent organisational skills, time management, ability to work well under pressure, quick thinker, deceisive. Being a parent you have a great empathy which is an excellent asset to have especially when dealing with the public- the list is endless.

I hope you find this some help and sorry for hijacking your thread :)

Best of luck hun xxx

Back