skipping packs

pjlucy

Just thought I would let everyone know what happened to me when I skipped packs and water intake.

Ive been really struggling the last 2 weeks, complete lack of appetite ( I know its due to being in ketosis), Ive had a maximum of 2 shakes and probaby only 1 ltr of water per day. I do drink loads of instant tea which is fine ( I checked).
Ive struggled to even get just 2 packs down a day, I mean the shakes were making me feel a little sick and still not finishing them right to the bottom.
Or I was only having a meal pack with my allocated protein and veg.

I know I should be forcing them down everyday and seeing them as my medicine packs but couldnt bring myself to putting them in my mouth as I wasnt hungry or feeling I needed anything. (Luckily enough my health hasnt shown signs of this stupid behaviour).

DONT DO THIS

Ive only lost a little over 4lbs in 2 weeks and this last week and gained in my second week, which I know is down to the lack of water I have been drinking and my body storing it.

Im now back on track and still forcing myself to have the 4 packs and Im now drinking my 3lts of water and cut back on the tea.

So in conclusion I would say to anyone DONT skip packs( thinking I may loose more if having less) and DONT skip the water intake

The clever people who make the packs know what they are doing and know what you need to have to lose the weight and be healthy.

This has been my experience and I wished to share.

Im not looking for anyone to tell me how stupid I have been, just wanted to let people know my experience.
Im now doing as the diet states and hope for a healthy weighloss next week.

I started to feel like that after a couple of weeks as well, but I find having a fizzy water or coke zero makes me feel hungry so I then look forward to my packs

Good to know :) x

Good luck x

When I did CD I did this too.... and the eventual result was it finally catching up with me and passing out (up a hill, in the snow, with a teenytiny friend thinking how the heck am I going to get her back :p ). Its so easy to fall into though. For me I hate having my last pack of the day and then it being gone.... so I put it off and sometimes end up skipping >.< But definately like you said.... the people that designed it totally know what theyre doing.

phoenixx said:
When I did CD I did this too.... and the eventual result was it finally catching up with me and passing out (up a hill, in the snow, with a teenytiny friend thinking how the heck am I going to get her back :p ). Its so easy to fall into though. For me I hate having my last pack of the day and then it being gone.... so I put it off and sometimes end up skipping >.< But definately like you said.... the people that designed it totally know what theyre doing.

I hate the last pack of the day too because I know thats it for me. Its so hard when you just cant stand to have that 3rd pack isnt it. You have to force it down almost

I hate the last pack of the day too because I know thats it for me. Its so hard when you just cant stand to have that 3rd pack isnt it. You have to force it down almost

Definately! I think theres something psychological.... if your done for the day you feel semi deprived, or something anyway. :/ Blah to fat girl mentalities!

I hate having my last pack of the day too! I've skipped it 2 days in a row but i'll def try to force it down tomorrow

This is excellent real life advice! Thank you for sharing!!

I missed my 4th pack the day before yesterday as the others have said, I wasnt too hungry (from all the tea) and I left it so late because I thought "once its gone, its gone! and I wont have any more food". I was thinking "oh, it doesnt matter, I can skip the odd one" But I wont skip ever again after reading this!!!

Thank you for this post. It came at just the right time! :)

Sometimes when I feel like I can't face 4 packs I mix 2 together, especially good for the shakes. It's really important to have all packs or else your body will go into starvation mode...you won't lose more weight by skipping them.

In starvation mode your metabolism slows down and you risk burning muscle as well as fat...

I had skipped a pack here and there because I did not feel hungry enough to have the last pack of the day. I've been feeling like it a lot recently but have literally just forced them down as I realise it's just not good to skip them.

Tonight I went off to brush and floss my teeth and half way through realised I still needed to have another pack (shake), I had totally forgotten about it which I think is a first for me... I normally always remember even if I don't feel hungry to have it. I had the vanilla afterwards, mint and vanilla shake don't taste good! yuk.

SuziWoo said:
In starvation mode your metabolism slows down and you risk burning muscle as well as fat...

Our metabolism slows right down on a VLCD anyway. That's why it's so important to re-feed and not just go back to how we were eating before.

The reason we need to eat all 4 packs is to get the required nutrition. 3 packs & a bit of veg and/or milk is still at a calorie level of many other VLCDs and would not result in "starvation mode" which coincidently has been proved a myth (albeit a popular and commonly believed myth) by scientists, there are load of papers on it of you type in "starvation mode myth" into google. xx

I thought as long as you're eating at least 50g protein a day and low enough carbs to get into ketosis, your body will take the protein you're consuming and convert it to glycogen to use as a fuel source, starvation mode is when you aren't eating enough protein and your body takes the protein from your muscles to convert to glycogen instead. Somewhere in that process fat is metabolised and ketones are produced and provide fuel for vital organs. That's how I thought it worked anyway, never heard it was a myth.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no scientist but have had to try and look into it as much as post so I can explain it to all the people moaning at me that this diet is going to make me ill!

I think thats the point, if you skip packs regularly and don't have enough nutrients and protein then your body will also use muscle. If you stick to the plan you will be fine and getting everything you need.

Real starvation only happens when you don't have enough fat stores to use for energy.

Obviously we all have enough fat stores to be able to convert to energy as we would not be dieting otherwise ;)

I meant to say that this starvation mode term people band about in relation to dieting is a myth. Obviously people are starving all over the world, but this belief that if you don't eat enough you will stop losing weight and your body will use your lean muscle for fuel is wrong. Even if you stopped eating completely, Your body uses protein from your muscle for energy only for a maximum of 3 days (2 days for women) then your body adapts and begins to burn your fat as fuel (ketosis).

Your metabolism slows down in proportion to the number of calories you consume regardless of whether you are I ketosis or not. Weight loss can stall even on a VLCD while your body adapts to the massive reduction in calories, and this is often called starvation mode, but as soon as your body has adapted, the weight loss will continue.

I have not personally experimented and tested these theories but having read a huge amount of scientific data on the subject of health, vlcd's, general weight loss, fasting and biology this is what I have learned and what I choose to believe based on the facts presented to me.

Our opinions are our own and whatever you choose to believe is entirely up to you. :)

Unfortunately your body will use muscle if you don't eat enough protein - and not just for 2 days. Even when using ketones as the main energy source there is a certain amount of glucose which your brain needs to function. If you are not eating enough protein your body will use your muscles to create the glucose (through a few steps). This will reduce your metabolism and cause muscle wastage - particularly problematic if you do this over the medium to long term. Whether or not this is called 'starvation mode' doesn't really matter.

Your metabolism does reduce anyway when you diet. In fact it reduces by the same amount no matter whether you diet using a VLCD or another dieting technique. It is purely because your body needs a lower volume of muscle to move its bulk around. That reduction in metabolism is obviously healthy and good - muscle wastage is not.

The reason you need to re-feed properly is not to do with your metabolism but more with the danger of going from medium to long term ketosis straight back to high carb. Not only will this put weight on (all be it water weight as the liver stores glycogen with 3 times the amount of water) but could also lead to a spike in insulin levels - which in itself can kick off further carb cravings - making it difficult to maintain the loss. Also, if you have been on a VLCD for a number of months the re-feed time is an excellent opportunity to slowly add food back in and understand which types of food affect you in what ways.

Last edited:
Back