Sleeping problems

WelshJojo

Gold Member
Have been having alot of problems sleeping over the last 2 weeks along with a few other problems :(
Went to the doc this morning and he prescribed me Temazepam to be taken as and when I need it-he's recommended taking 1/2 to 1 a night for 2 nights, then having 2 nights off etc!
Just wondered if anyone takes them, or has any previous experience! Have never taken anything like this and am frankly a little bit scared :( thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I've been prescribed under the same circumstances. They're ok but make sure you take it early enough so you can get a monster sleep in, set more than your usual alarm and only take a half for the first couple of times to work out how your body handles it.

Good luck and sweet dreams!

JackieN said:
(hugs) not used those. I've used a self hypnosis cd/ iphone ap that I thought was good, called 'deepersleep' by Andrew Johnson, and all sorts of other things as I suffer periodically with insomnia xxx

My problem is I can get to sleep, but it's staying asleep that's my biggest problem :(

My problem is I can get to sleep, but it's staying asleep that's my biggest problem :(

That is often my problem too, and my sons problem, but very often we find that cd works.

If you wake in the night try doing something really mind numbing like going thorugh the alphabet ie a-z foods, a-z girls names, boys names, towns, etc etc. I often find I then doze off again, Its about doing this before your mind starts thinking you can't sleep, or you won't. The mind is a powerful tool :( as I have found out so many times.

HelsAngel said:
I've been prescribed under the same circumstances. They're ok but make sure you take it early enough so you can get a monster sleep in, set more than your usual alarm and only take a half for the first couple of times to work out how your body handles it.

Good luck and sweet dreams!

Tonight is the only night I have chance to take it and have a proper sleep, as I'm bak to work on Wednesday! What time do you recommend taking it to get a decent sleep then? Thanks in advance

I've not taken them but for sleep problems I can recommend Paul Mckenna's I can make you sleep cd and book.

I didn't do everything in the book (getting up early, staying up until really really tired etc) but the cd really worked for me.

I've had diazepam, which I believe is a similar drug, but for flying anxiousness. It did make me sleepy but I only had a small dose.

Is it just to train you to stay asleep? My concern would be that you could become reliant on them maybe? Give them a shot, it's what they are for but try other things too - if you haven't already.

jaylou said:
I've not taken them but for sleep problems I can recommend Paul Mckenna's I can make you sleep cd and book.

I didn't do everything in the book (getting up early, staying up until really really tired etc) but the cd really worked for me.

I've had diazepam, which I believe is a similar drug, but for flying anxiousness. It did make me sleepy but I only had a small dose.

Is it just to train you to stay asleep? My concern would be that you could become reliant on them maybe? Give them a shot, it's what they are for but try other things too - if you haven't already.

Thanks :) I've tried the Paul McKenna-have got it on my iPhone :)
I can get to sleep no problem first time round-it's when I wake up at stupid o'clock and can't get back to sleep that's the problem I'm experiencing currently :( I'm sick of seeing 2,3,4am nearly everyday!
I've only been given enough for 2 days on 2 days off for 2 weeks :) so not enough to cause addiction-apparently :)

Tonight is the only night I have chance to take it and have a proper sleep, as I'm bak to work on Wednesday! What time do you recommend taking it to get a decent sleep then? Thanks in advance

It depends on what time you'd normally go to bed. I used to eat and do what I needed to first, have a cup of tea after dinner (7:30pm) and take it then, bath etc and it would have kicked in about 3 hours later around 10-10:30 and I was ready for sleep then.

Give it about 2 hours before you want to sleep.

I give my SU 20mg before dental appts, it hits within 20 mins and makes him wobbly on his feet!
It has a shorter half life (residual effect) than Diazepam, so provided you leave at least 8 hours between dose and work you should be ok, however I personally wouldn't recommend driving before 18 hours have elapsed.

HelsAngel said:
It depends on what time you'd normally go to bed. I used to eat and do what I needed to first, have a cup of tea after dinner (7:30pm) and take it then, bath etc and it would have kicked in about 3 hours later around 10-10:30 and I was ready for sleep then.

Give it about 2 hours before you want to sleep.

Shirleen said:
I give my SU 20mg before dental appts, it hits within 20 mins and makes him wobbly on his feet!
It has a shorter half life (residual effect) than Diazepam, so provided you leave at least 8 hours between dose and work you should be ok, however I personally wouldn't recommend driving before 18 hours have elapsed.

Wow! Really? That's PDQ! Ive only got 10mg tabs and been told to take 1/2-1 a night, so will see how I get on! Thanks all x

Wow! Really? That's PDQ! Ive only got 10mg tabs and been told to take 1/2-1 a night, so will see how I get on! Thanks all x

I made the mistake time before last of thinking it took longer to have effect and he went A over T and fell into the doorframe ending up with a whopping diagonal bruise! Now he sits in the wheelchair before the dose!

Shirleen said:
I made the mistake time before last of thinking it took longer to have effect and he went A over T and fell into the doorframe ending up with a whopping diagonal bruise! Now he sits in the wheelchair before the dose!

Thanks Shirleen :) I've just taken my first tablet now-bit wary of what I'm gonna feel like when it kicks in-having never taken anything like this before :( have got into bed already-an have set my alarm for the morning-and got my mum on standby just in case i don't wake up!

Well that was the biggest waste of time ever!! Took one tablet at 9pm, before I went to bed, read a book for a while, and didn't really feel sleepy! Turned my light off at about 10.30, and proceeded to wake up at 2, 3.15, and just now at 4.30!! I really am at a loss as to what to do next!! Can't believe it didnt help :( am so tired it's not even remotely funny :(

gettingfitat50 said:
I had this problem a couple of weeks ago and someone on here told me to count backwards from 100 and a lot of different things.
So when I do wake up I start counting and if I reach 0 then I lie there naming zoo animals,farm animals or colours I soon drop off again.

Thanks! I've tried allsorts of things like that before-Temazepam was a last resort really-and that didnt even work! I just want to sleep :( my head hurts so much and I've not eaten properly for nearly 2 weeks now :(

I have the same problem - I get to sleep fine but wake up about four hours (or less) later. I've tried all sorts of tablets prescribed by my GP (eg temazepam, zopiclone) and also over the counter remedies (eg Nytol). NOTHING works so I've given up trying them now. There's no other option for me now, I just have to learn to live with it. It really sucks!

I also suffer with sleepless nights, I usually sleep till around 1200-1-00am then go back to sleep until 4-00am, from then I give up so go on the computer till the other half wakes up at 7-00am!
The outcome of this is that I take cat naps during the day instead....
Could it be due to the SW diet?

bilsat said:
I also suffer with sleepless nights, I usually sleep till around 1200-1-00am then go back to sleep until 4-00am, from then I give up so go on the computer till the other half wakes up at 7-00am!
The outcome of this is that I take cat naps during the day instead....
Could it be due to the SW diet?

I can't see how/why it would be to do with SW! I work full time so can't cat nap during the day-and anyway, that would just make trying to sleep at night worse? Surely? Also I've been doing SW a lot longer than I've been waking at stupid o'clock! Granted I've always been bad at sleeping but there is no correlation between SW and my extremely bad periods of sleep :(

krupskaya said:
I have the same problem - I get to sleep fine but wake up about four hours (or less) later. I've tried all sorts of tablets prescribed by my GP (eg temazepam, zopiclone) and also over the counter remedies (eg Nytol). NOTHING works so I've given up trying them now. There's no other option for me now, I just have to learn to live with it. It really sucks!

That's good to know-I mean in the sense that it's not just me! Its having such a negative effect on my life tho, I don't think I can just learn to live with it-that's the worry :(

Back