Slimmimg world chips what am I doing wrong?

MysticalT

So I follow the instructions exactly and end up with either...

A tray of mashed up potato because they've fell apart from turning over

Or

A tray of half burnt and half under cooked things that look like chips.

Even the dog ( who stole 1 when I dropped it) spat it out :D

I need chips as the family are ready to drag the fryer back out, help!

What way are you doing them and what type of potato are you using?

Does the type of potato matter? I just buy a bag if white potatoes!

Cut into chips, boil for 5 minutes drain and leave to cool a little. Shake a bit then put them on a tray?

It can do. I wouldn't boil a floury potato for too long.

My tip is:

Cut them into chunky chips.
Rinse twice to remove starch.
Add a small bit of salt to the water.
Bring to the boil and boil for 2 minutes only.
Drain the potatoes.
Pat the potatoes down with a piece of kitchen towel to dry them off.
Spray them with frylight (still in the pot).
Put the lid back on the pot and give them a firm shake or 2 just to rough up the edges (but don't shake them too much).
Pour them onto a baking try lined with baking parchment.
Spray them again.
Fan oven on 200 - leave them be for 20 minutes.
Turn once and cook for another 10-20 minutes (depending on oven and how thick the chip is).

I have to say, there is a knack to it. It's trial and error. I love mine though, would rather have them than frozen oven chips any day of the week.

I'm not to keen on bought oven chips which is why I'm trying to get these right! I'll give them another go tonight.

I would recommend a waxy potato like Desiree, they don't fall to pieces as easily as floury potatoes.

I feel your pain and had to laugh at your 2 end results as that use to be mine too lol do you know what I do now... I boil them for about 4 mins, then to really dry them off (I think is the key) I put them on a plate and microwave them for 2 minutes. Then spray and sprinkle a little salt, or seasoning etc... then oven bake and give them a shake or turn over after about 15 minutes, they turn out so much more consistent for me!

I did try them again. They didn't burn and they were lovely to look at, a nice golden brown chip colour..needed the jaw of a shark to eat them though :(

I don't peel my potatoes now for chips or wedges and find that they are turning out better as I seem to be able to get away with boiling them for slightly longer (3-4 mins depending on the size I cut them and I bring the water to the boil with the potatoes in the pan) without them falling apart so they are soft and fluffy inside once they are done. I also tend to swirl rather than shake the pan to start with so that if they are a little over boiled they don't totally turn to mush, then shake once I know I haven't totally messed it up!

I think the SW chips are a trial and error thing until you find what works for you and your oven. Tried cooking them in someone else's oven last week and they didn't turn out as well as I can get them at home.

If you are finding they are burning but not properly cooked inside I would query what temperature your oven is at - it may be that the oven is too hot. The recipe online says that, as ours isn't a fan oven I should be setting it to 240c - if I did that they would burn really quickly. As our oven runs hot 210 (on the dial at least - stupid oven has a mind of its own!) gives me the best chips. For a normal, non fan oven, that would be about 220c

I use any potato, don't peel, just wedge then. Place them on a frylight sprayed tray spray again and then cover them in garlic salt or any dried herb my hand reaches.
I don't boil them before, just place them in a 200c oven for 1/2 hour to 45 mins. Just leave them to roast away.

Hi all!! I had disappointing results last weekend with sw chips, and I've just treated myself to an air fryer ( not Tefal, it's a Breville Halo +)

Like others here, i parboiled my potatoes first, for about 5-6 minutes, dried them and cooked them in the Breville for 25 mins, they came out looking like they were in need of a transfusion!!

So on the advice of several lovely folk on my Facebook sw group , I tried again last night, only this time, I DID'NT parboil them, just peeled and chipped them and put them straight in the air fryer and gave them a liberal spray of fry light and cooked them for 35 minutes , et voila!! Lovely crispy golden brown chips !!

Last edited:
I always sprinkle with salt & pepper before putting in the oven helps to crisp them up, also they are nice cooked with a sprinkle of paprika or chip seasoning :)

Back