Slimming World Chips -Beginners Luck Maybe?

So after reading so many horror stories I thought I too was going to end up with mushy tasteless chips.... luckily for me mine were perfect :D I shall explain below how I did them.

Firstly I bought red rooster potatoes, abit expensive mind but if they make the best chips then so be it.

All I did was select my longish shaped potatoes and peeled them and cut them just in half

I added them to salted boiling water and boiled from 5 or so minutes

Whilst they were boiling I got my non fan assisted oven to about 210 pre heating

I drained off the potatoes and used the strainer to 'rough them up' I gathered because they are big and heavy they will rough up nicely against each other.

I then cut them into chips whilst leaving them to dry out on a tea towel.

I then roughed them up again and sprinkled with salt whilst doing so.

They were probably out of the water for at least 10 minutes

I got my grill pan out the oven its the black slide in shelf some ovens get with a removeable grill on top.

I sprayed it in olive oil fry light as I refuse to use sunflower products

I chucked the chips in and sprayed them again

after about 15 minutes I went to check and they were already getting colour and could see crispy bits.

I turned the oven up to about 240 and cooked them until golden.

They tasted JUST like oven chips from the shop, which I have always enjoyed. I served them with mushy peas and it was beyond filling.

I would recommend always having a free condiment handy like vinegar especially if before now you were using a fat fryer with lovely beef dripping in like I was.

All in all I was really impressed and am not intimidated by the slimming world chip :)

To be honest I don't understand what all the fuss an commotion is about!
SW chips are the easiest of any chips to do!
I think the problem is that people precook the potatoes too long!
I don't even Pre-cook the potatoes just place them in an oven at a lower temperature for longer,turn the temp to 180-190C for the same toss after 10mins and add another fry light spray( The BBQ one gives them an added zing!)
Or if in a rush I just give them 4 minutes blast in the microwave (your par boiling of a sort)
And the just place them in the oven that way they are the quickest chips ever much quicker than oven chips!

bc201 said:
To be honest I don't understand what all the fuss an commotion is about!
SW chips are the easiest of any chips to do!
I think the problem is that people precook the potatoes too long!
I don't even Pre-cook the potatoes just place them in an oven at a lower temperature for longer,turn the temp to 180-190C for the same toss after 10mins and add another fry light spray( The BBQ one gives them an added zing!)
Or if in a rush I just give them 4 minutes blast in the microwave (your par boiling of a sort)
And the just place them in the oven that way they are the quickest chips ever much quicker than oven chips!

I agree, the chips are so easy to make, just dont over-think it :)

I also use red rooster potatoes as well, I don't peel them just wash them, then cut into wedges or chips, part boil for no more than 5 mins, drain and rough up! Tip into a metal tray or oven-proof dish sprayed with fry light, and sprinkled with all season.
In an oven at 200C cooked for 15 mins, remove and turn over then return until browned to your liking!

SW Chips.jpgOven Chips-2.jpg

Back