Slimming world crisps (free on green!!!!)

I tried to make these last night but they were awful :( all the potatoe slices stuck together and wouldnt crisp up!! Anyone know what I did wrong? If you bung them in the Microwave do they slices not stick together no??

I tried to make these last night but they were awful :( all the potatoe slices stuck together and wouldnt crisp up!! Anyone know what I did wrong? If you bung them in the Microwave do they slices not stick together no??

When I make mine, I spray the microwave plate with fry light and place them in one single layer on the plate. I put them on high and check after 2 minutes and every couple of seconds there on (my microwave likes to burn things when I don't look). When they look golden brown, it's done and I just add salt and black pepper and munch away. The crisp up within a few seconds of taking them out.

I'm guessing you had the slices on top of each other for them to stick? I think it's just a case of trial and error. I'd use a small potato and then if it doesn't work out it's not much wasted and you can try again with the remainder of it. :)

Its easier to slice the crisps thinly using the patato peeler

Our C says they have to be syned though.

double scheck with S/W advisors

I have to say our consultant was talking about the very same on Monday she says they have to be synned as well . All the same im gonna make some and to be on the safe side i'll syn them can i also ask how DO you syn them say 50g?

Thanks for all the info!

Donna

I made them and was in heaven. I decided to use one small potato and it made the same amount as I would have had in one bag from a multi pack.

I was on the EE plan, and actually took a small potato off my plate at dinner time so I didn't syn them.

Taste devine :)

Oh and our consultant said to syn the potato as if it were a red day...hope that helps?

Yummy, had a go at the microwave potato ones tonight, was skeptical, but they worked well. I made the lasagne ones the other day too, and topped with homemade salsa and HEA cheese and had a SW natchos........... ok ish, not as good as real ones! but better than none

What is the 'crsip maker' never heard of such a thing???

I googled it last night and found them on ebay for £5 inc postage. Its a slicer to slice potatoes with to get them thin, and a sort of rack that they go in for the microwave. They come from hong kong. Search on ebay crisp maker

well . . . free or not i have just made some and they are AMAZING!!!

There is a running joke in our household that anything cooking wise which I touch is ruined before I even start. Yes i can follow recipes by the book and it can still turn out wrong!

So I am quite pleased to say that I have successfully made my first batch and NOTHING went wrong!!! YAY!!

So for this . . . syns or not . . . they are syn free!!!

Hmmm, made mine with a normal knife and laid them flat, still tasted great lol and saved me a fiver. Can you tell I'm a Yorkshire lass ;)

Yeah i made mine with a knife too, and they were GOOD :) took about 6 mins on high though. I made them this afternoon, had a crsip craving. So i am having them as free, they ARE better than grabbing a bag of proper crisps.

Im confused i thought potatoes were totally free, Ive been having the free chips and theres not much difference with the crisps as its just potatoes with frylight? I thought you could eat as much as u like on slimming world, it appears not!

Im confused i thought potatoes were totally free, Ive been having the free chips and theres not much difference with the crisps as its just potatoes with frylight? I thought you could eat as much as u like on slimming world, it appears not!

Think the crisps come under the food abuse. Potatoes are free. BUT......... when made into crisps its very easy to over eat. they also absorb a lot of fry light over the larger surface area than chips, and you are drying them out. ( like dried fruit is synned)
I count them as free, BUT only make them occasionaly. if you were making lots daily, you'd find your losses slowed or turned into a gain.

scotscub - adapting free food into crisps, cakes, etc is one of those grey areas. Free food is meant to be eaten without measuring/countig but until it makes you full. the problem with crisps/cakes etc is just how much can you eat compared to using the ingredient in the way it was intended.

make SW chips and depending on size of the potatoes you have it could be 1 or 2 spuds for a serving. Would you stick to the same one or two spuds with the crisps? Considering crisps are not as filling as chips?

The same with using cous-cous/polenta/scan bran for cakes - would you use the same amount as if doing cous-cous as a side ingredient?

The only real advice though about this tweaks is - if you're still loosing weight - then great. if your losses slow up - then consider cutting these tweaks out.

Can I ask, as a new person, how on earth do you manage to cut the potatoes thin enough for crisps? - not with an ordinary knife surely?

I'm thinking finger-favoured crisps here:eek:

Back