slimming world hits the high street shops

Malaika, I was just going to say I hope they DON'T start selling the hifi bars in the shops, they are so nice I couldn't resist buying them in the tens and then I would be forced to eat them as snacks (that's if the kids didn't get them first lol). With not going to a class now, I'm saved from them and the expense lol.

I think if they could do some foods to fall back on in an emergency it may be alright, but to be honest, we should all carry something in the freezer or cupboard for an emergency anyway shouldn't we? Fail to plan, plan to fail as they say.
I guess if Rosemary Conley is bringing out her own range of meals, its all about keeping up with the market forces at the end of the day, and if it were my business, I guess I would be exploring the same avenues. Supply and demand and if the customers want it, it will be a success, if not, disappear from the shelves.

WW hold back the best things (yummiest and lowest points) for classes, to encourage people to go I assume - these things are only avqailable at class. I would think sw would still do that with the hi fi bars.

Think it would be okay as a quick lunch the odd time as I wouldnt eat micro dinners all the time just great for the freezer :)

Like others say, I fear this would mean a lot of non-SW products would end up synned or with higher syn values while the SW products would be expensive.

SW did trial this a couple of years back in one small area down south. It didn't come to anything and they decided against going down the "ready meal" route.

I doubt very much if they'll do this.

SW seem to be a bit different to the other slimming classes in that they don't advertise on tv/radio etc, they tend to buck the trend really in many things!

I really don't see a need for it though, you can get a Birds Eye pasta arrabiata ready meal for a pound (when on offer) and that's free on green/EE so why buy and SW meal?
Just buy the food directory and see what you can pick up for free foods when you are in a hurry.

I know when I did SW there were occasions when a ready meal would have been a God send.

Even if SW do ready meals, its not taking away from what theyre promoting. WW dont encourage people to use their ready meals, they promote similar type meals to SW. If people choose to live on convenience food thats their choice. Personally I never have WW meals, I dont think theyre good value, what I do go for though are things like Pitta Bread, Bagels, snacks etc, but its things Id have whether WW did them or not, I just choose WW ones as the points are calculated and theyre generally a lower point option.

If SW do a range of foods, which I think is really inevitable, it doesnt mean people have to use them, and its not going to change the ethos of the diet, but I think there are days when for whatever reason a lot of people would find being able to pick up a ready Synned meal would be a God send, but it wouldnt affect the way they did the diet in the long run.

At the end of the day SW is a business and they must realise theres a hugely profitable market out there waiting to be tapped into...

I know when I did SW there were occasions when a ready meal would have been a God send.

Even if SW do ready meals, its not taking away from what theyre promoting. WW dont encourage people to use their ready meals, they promote similar type meals to SW. If people choose to live on convenience food thats their choice. Personally I never have WW meals, I dont think theyre good value, what I do go for though are things like Pitta Bread, Bagels, snacks etc, but its things Id have whether WW did them or not, I just choose WW ones as the points are calculated and theyre generally a lower point option.

If SW do a range of foods, which I think is really inevitable, it doesnt mean people have to use them, and its not going to change the ethos of the diet, but I think there are days when for whatever reason a lot of people would find being able to pick up a ready Synned meal would be a God send, but it wouldnt affect the way they did the diet in the long run.

At the end of the day SW is a business and they must realise theres a hugely profitable market out there waiting to be tapped into...

Well said :)
I know we have posted before about this Sandy, but I find it a shame that so many people don't realise that ww convenience are just that - a convenience - and not an essential part of the plan.
Any sw products would work in the same way.

I would like to see SW branded snacks like crisps & chocolates but I don't want to see loads of SW ready meals and stuff like WW do, the one thing I love most about SW is that I cook every meal from scratch which has taught me how to substitute things in recipes now, I know you can still buy the SW flavoured Tuna in tins, our local B&M Bargains stock them but I don't want to see loads more stuff in the shops, I don't believe SW needs them.

I'm with you on this one, Julie. I quite like the idea of sw snacks so we know how many syns things are but dont think they should do ready meals as one thing sw promote is cooking from scratch with healthy ingredients. There's nothing wrong with the odd ready meal when people need one but I would hope that sw dont replace the ethos of the diet by introducing loads of them

Again though just because some ready meals are available it doesnt mean you have to buy them. Possibly SW are realising there ARE occasions when people do need something they can just pick up in a hurry - I found it hard when I was asked to do overtime at work at short notice, knowing what to have when all I had was Asda and a microwave at my disposal. Knowing I could have picked up a SW meal, would have been a God send. It could be SW are trying to tap into that kind of market.

Snacks etc would be good though surely. I know how many people were delighted when Pitta Bread became available as a HEX. I just had WW garlic bread with my (SW friendly and low pointed) pasta dinner, dont you think it would be great to be able to have something like that to accompany your meals if it was a SW one and you knew that it was for instance a HexB and 5 Syns??

I cant for a minute imagine SW will be steering people towards ready meals, no diet does (contrary to popular belief about WW) it could be the next big and great thing to hit SW ;)

Sorry to dig up and old topic....

BUT

Low syn/syn free sausage, burgers etc would be good.

Basic staples, that you still have to add things to them to make a meal, rather than a ready meal per se...if that makes sense?

x

WEll I for one would be hugely disappointed if SW sell-out and go down the WW route of selling branded foods. I know of too many people who take the 'easy' option of relying on WW foods so they don't have to think about what they are eating and don't have to cook. Although I know that WW do not actively promote that it is quite common. I think SW's strength is that it does not have branded products and members have to use a variety of different products. And I would have to seriously consider whether I wanted to continue going to classes if they were to introduce their own range.

I completely agree!I did WW years back and totally relied on their ready meal ranges.The thing that I most enjoy about SW is that it wholey(sp?)is based around making a lot of meals from fresh ingredients(although I enjoy a pasta and sauce now and again;))and it reducates and introduces people to a healthy balanced diet!

i have a friend in the hemmel area of london and in her class they sell lots of sw goodies like chocolate and sweeties as a trial, she is coming up for her daughters christening at easter and i am going to get her to bring some up for me to try..

they have done trials for ready meals in the past, but it take alot of time from trial to national role out (worked for mcd's for 13yrs, had servral trial products before national role out sometimes didnt happen)

would be great for the sweets and things, not sure if they will just stay in class, which would be the best idea as it is a niche market!

laura x

I like the idea, when do you think they will start to sell stuff?
Im a student and not a very good cook, sometimes quick and convenient meals will fit into my busy lifestyle better!

I think it would be very handy to have some more SW branded food available to buy in the shops. I actually buy the little SW tins of tuna and they are absolutely brilliant, I use them a lot :)
Exciting to think there could be more stuff.x

I agree with Circes, I think they will be making a mistake if they go down the branded food route, perhaps selling some cereal bars or similar in shops would be okay, but I wouldnt want to see ready meals everywhere. Processed and convenience foods in my opinion do not promote healthy eating.

I think they would be far better off using their marketing team on updating their website, the diet is great, but they are lacking in so many areas with their website and considering people from all over the world might be using it, they want to keep as many people as possible interested and signing up to subscriptions. The website is the first point of contact for a lot of people and will be how they sell themselves should they wish to branch out over the rest of the world.

I wouldnt mind them doing store cupboard ingredients, like their own salad dressings, mayonaise, deserts range. But agree I have enjoyed learning to cook again, instead of being lazy, but think the things that we syn, like the mayonaise, marj, deserts etc, would be quite nice as a range.

I dont think its a bad idea, or a sell out. I think its a good idea for the busier Slimming Worlder! or one who just isnt a good cook, it doesnt come naturally to everyone!
If they did something like syn free/low syn pasta sauces that would be great because even though ive learnt how to cook some things I certainly cant make sauces, and dont really want to do the washing up involved either!

However, selling out disputes aside, I feel like SW have already dug their own grave in this market?? They've already told us about all the quick branded syn free/low syn snacks, ready meals, foods out there! e.g pasta n sauce, lamb shanks from asda, steak n gravy from M&S, Curly Wurlys, Quavers, Quorn Ready Meals and loads more?!

I dont see where they could fit in the market for this anyway!!

I'll be honest I haven't read the whole thread but read bits. I feel rather indifferently about it to be frank. What I will note is that for some people whether it be because you are busy, or if like me you're disabled or 101 other reasons it would be handy to have ready meals.

That being said they might not sell ready meals! Or if they do they could simply be frozen versions of what you make at home. I sometimes cook in bulk and freeze - what's the difference?

With other products, if you look at Tesco's Healthy living products there is calories etc., and WW points. Having SW syns would be good, saves time looking it up online or in the book.

Like I say I really don't have an opinion on this, SW is what it is it's us as individuals who have to take charge of our own lives and decide what we put in our mouths :)

I remember when SW allowed cans of macaroni cheese, chilli and ravioli etc as free foods (together with the long lamented corned beef). When the plan changed and these were no longer free we were told it was because SW was getting the reputation of being a plan where you could eat lots of canned and processed foods and they wanted to get away from that.

I understand that some people can't cook very well and would like ready meals but I'm not sure that SW would want to go down this route.
It would be handy to have some pasta/curry sauces for busy times though I suppose. I don't know if I'd use anything like that but I can see the usefullness.

Back