slimming world on a budget

tinkerbellsmum

Gold Member
hi all hope you are well?
I really need to cut my shopping bill right down at the mo. I was wondering if you could give me some ideas on low cost meals.
i'm not keen on veg or fish only veg I do like is carrots,mushrooms, salad i can eat, tomatoes, bean sprots
thanks

Hi there i would suggest working around green days.
Meat is very expensive but pasta, beans, potatoes are cheap and very filling. If you feel the need for meat you can have it in small quanties so cuts down on cost.

My suggestions are jacket potatoes, smash pizza, Pasta with tomato sauce and omelettes, i find green days are much better on the pocket.
Oh and you must try homemade houmous that on crispbreads is great for lunch.

Hope this helps.

*Passata is really cheap - I use Asda's smartprice and it's no different from branded ones. Add some mixed herbs, pasta and a bit of veg if you like for a really cheap and filling meal.
*Switch to supermarket's own brands - like I said above I can't tell the difference!
*If possible shop later on in the evening and pick up the reduced items - it's amazing what gets marked down.
*Try and plan meals - me and OH now sit down and carefully think what we need, then we can stick to a budget and no food gets wasted.
*We've found our local grocers' fruit and veg is generally cheaper, but bargains still can be found in the supermarket. We also now buy a lot more frozen fruit and veg now.

Me and my OH are trying to be more sensible with our money to try and start saving for our wedding (whenever it happens!). We've started doing the above and our bill has easily halved!

Green is far cheaper to do IMO - I do Green anyway, here's some ideas:

Beans on anything!
Jacket potatoes
Pasta
Mixed bean chilli
veg curry using tinned tomatoes

Last edited:
Back again...........
Good-for-you bolognese sauce

Ingredients
1 onion, chopped 18p
4 carrots, chopped 30p
2 courgettes, chopped 68p
3oz Mushrooms, chopped 52p
1 clove garlic, crushed 3p
400g chopped tomatoes 33p
1tbsp Worcestershire sauce 3p
Basil fresh ( dried if not, or dried mixed herbs) 5p
veg stock cube 3p
300ml boiling water
lean mince Mince ( or quorn mince) 2.69
Spaghetti 78p
£5.62 for whole recipe so for 4 portions £1.41 per portion
Sauce freezes well too

Method
1) soften onion in frylight ( add some salt it stops them burning), then add carrots, courgettes, mushrooms and garlic and continue to soften.
2) add tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, stock cube and water. season with s and p. ( dried herbs if not using fresh)
3) bring to the boil and then simmer for 15 mins with a lid on.
4) add the fresh basil if using
5) blitz in food processor or use hand blender.

use this sauce as you would a pre made jar. with mince beef or quorn and spaghetti

even if you dont like those veg, you cant taste them as indervidual tastes as they are all blitz.

Mince can usually be turned into lots of different filling meals. As sarahm85 said, shop later in the evening and pick up a bargin, I get 95% of my meat (and fish) this way. Places like Home Bargins and Poundland have lots of SW stuff in, Pasta & sauce, tinned veg, etc. and is especially good for your toilettries (not specifically SW I know but generally). Also, try the local farmshop, I get a tray of eggs from mine for £2.00!!!

Not much to add - except definitely do the green plan as it is so budget friendly. Batch cook in large quantities - a big chilli/curry/spag bol etc etc to save time and money. And don't forget the jacket spuds - delicious and cheap! Good luck, ZXXX

Not read the links added, but definatly green days!!

I switched last week for a few green days as it was easier, we were away in our caravan. Anyway, a big bag of potatoes lasted ages!! I was making SW wedges with beans for lunch, eggs chips & beans is another. Then things like chick pea dhal (77p a tin!) & some boiled rice for evening meal, yummy & cheap! Pasta is really cheap & you can make batches of sauce & spinkle some cheese on using HEa.

Def green is a cheaper plan IMO :)

the asda chick pea dahl is syn free and delicious!!!

If your not much for veg but like mushrooms...I made a cracking chicken korma the other night.

It's 3 syns for the whole thing on extra easy.

What you need:
Chicken
Onion
Mushrooms
Patak's Korma paste
Fat free fromage frais
Rice
Fry-light

Method:
Fry diced chicken, onions and mushrooms in a pan with fry-light until chicken is cooked.
Add 1 tablespoon of paste and stir well.
Add fromage frais and 1 table spoon of paste and stir frequently until hot.
Serve with cooked rice.

3 syns for the whole thing. I put it down as 1.5 syns because my kids have half between them :)

Back