Slimming World Overseas?

How many of you are doing SW that don't live in the UK? I am in Cyprus and whilst fresh fruit and veg is available in abundance, a lot of things aren't available here. i.e muller yoghurts, fat free salad dressings, sugar free jellies etc etc. Or if they are in the shops they are so expensive you can't justify buying them.

How do you cope if you live overseas? what do you buy instead?

Maybe we can help each other?

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

Wow I just looked at our starting weights and heights and we are very close....I live in Turkey and am doing the SW plan....doing the extra easy now and am finding that although I need to plan its working really well.

What meals do you tend to cook?

Claire xx

Hey, I live in Canada and do SW through the body optimise site.

It was a bit hard when I first started, trying to finding substitutes for things etc, but after hunting around in various shops, I have found most things.

The beauty of slimming world is that most meals are about cooking from scratch with fresh products which you can pretty much get anywhere.

We can't get mullerlights here, but most fat free yoghurts should be free, just enter the nutritional information into the free foods syn calculator and it will tell you if they are free or not. You could make you own fat free dressings, with balsamic vinegar and juice of a lemon etc and stuff like that and then for jellys can you get some gelatine sachets and just make your own? I don't really eat jelly or flavoured yoghurts very often to be honest, so havent really found it too much of a problem. I prefer to get fat free greek yoghurt or similar and add fresh fruit, as I try to avoid artificial sweeteners where possible.

Last edited:
I'm in France and can't get a lot of stuff like Splenda (although other aspartame based products are widely available), Mullerlights, Options, Frylight etc. Baked beans come at a price (1 can costs the same as 4 in the UK).

I tend to buy plain ff yogs and fromage frais and add my own flavourings, or fat free, no sugar added flavoured yogs. Options, Splenda & Frylight are requested from visitors, or I try to stock up in the uk - though I have made my own frylight by using the proportions on the back of the bottle (55% oil, made up with water) . Much cheaper and it seems to work just as well, so might delete that from my wish list.

Otherwise, we probably eat very healthily, as we don't have any ready meals, sauces etc. The biggest difference here though is that our fruit & veg are very seasonal - we can't get strawberries & melon in winter, for example. But that really makes me appreciate the seasons, which all have their own delights.

I know exactly what you mean about the seasons of fruit and veg. We have only lived here for six months so I am still getting used to what I can buy and where i can get it from.
Also the prices of things are through the roof.... the local baked beans are 50c a tin but they are like bullets and the sauce is not nice. Heinz beans are 1,69 eu a tin!
I do make a majority of meals from scratch, I just miss wandering round Asda and being able to find everything exactly as read from a recipe, without having to work out the greek version of it.

BritMumInCanada

Hello BMIC! I was told to look you up (but I don' know how to send you a message other than posting on these boards) since you are in Ontario - so am I! Can you help me with finding what brands of foods are good for SW here? Thanks so much in advance!

Hello again BMIC! Every time I try to access my personal messages it says "ChronicDieter, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons...." *groan*
Could you please post your message to me on this board? Thanks so much! :)

ah it must be because you are a new member, you need to get over a few posts to be able to access things like private messages etc.

I basically said, whereabouts in Canada are you?

these are some of the foods I have found

Meijer (US store): Scan Bran (in the international sections), as well as Heinz and Branston Baked Beans etc
Zehr's/Canadian Superstore: Quark (near the cottage cheese)
Trader Joes (US store: Fat Free Greek Yoghurt and various other SW friendly products
Walmart - Turkey Breakfast Sausages only 0.5 syns for 2 (they are 80 calories for 2), there own brand wholewheat bread, is 2 slices for 1 HEb (should be 57g in weight for 2 slices) is much cheaper than WW bread which is pretty expensive here.

Also you can have a wholewheat english muffin as a HEb (as long as it is 57g and under) this is one of the new additions to the HEb's.

Also a US consultant told me the below are free foods, but I havent had it confirmed by Slimming World HQ,so can't guarentee it is true.

PastaRoni, Pasta Sides, Fiesta Sides, Asian Sides, RiceRoni - they are free if you make them with water (not with the oil, butter, milk they call for)

There is a list of more Healthy Extras on the body optimise site.

Also for snacks, the 100 calories packs are fab. Only 5 syns each. The 100 calorie pack popcorn packs are particular good, I think you get about 4 cups worth.

If there is anything else in particular, let me know. :)

Hi,
I live in The Gambia West Africa and also cant get many of the items unless i pay through the roof for them, which i do tend to do as i have stopped eating out so can afford the imported ff yogurts, low fat cheese etc. There is an abundance of fish so i am lucky there. It is difficult but manageable but is getting a bit boring now. I would like to switch over to WW but that would be even more difficult here.
Cant think of any substitutes for you as i have difficulty with that too. I tend to eat the same things all the time!!
Good luck with the plan

P.S. i always ask people to bring out frylight, and other low fat goodies when they come to visit. it keeps me going!!!

Last edited:
Back