Slimming World Syns

KDR

I am confused about Syns. I know you can have 5 to 15 syns per day. However, how do you know what is appropriate for any individual?
I thought that it might depend on how much weight you have to get rid of, or how fast you want to lose it, but everyone on these threads seems to say that 15 is the norm for everyone regardless of individual circumstances.

More importantly, everyone seems to say that using all your syns will mean a better weight loss than not using them!!!!! That doesn't make sense to me??!!

Help!

Last edited:
I was wondering the same. I usually have between 5-10 a day but that's just because I'm trying to not snack on food that has syns and I make most meals from scratch.

Lol it doesn't make sense to me either, but it works! Starting out use all 15- you won't feel deprived and you'll have something to adjust if your weight loss plateaus. I gather some people with more to lose can have more (20) but personally i think 15 is ample.
Don't think 'oh I won't use my syns because ill lose faster'- it's an important part of the plan and syns will help you stay on track :)
I find most days I use all 15 (or more but im struggling a bit!) I think sw recommend 5 as a minimum. Remember you don't have to use them on chocolate and crisps- dressings/condiments, full fat yoghurts, olive oil, extra Hexb, nuts etc... Good luck!

Without going to deep into calories (i hate thinking of them lol)

This may help.....

If you was to convert your syns to calories you would be having 100 to 300 Now a general rule is that ladies need to have 1200 to 1500 calories to lose weight.

Generally the food we are 'allowed' to eat freely is low in calories but high in density, so filling for longer. As a result you consume less calories as you're only eating until your satisfied. Eating this way could well mean your calorie intake maybe only 1000. This is too low so you need to eat your syns too boost your overall consumption.

This is without considering body magic which again burns calories, so there's again a need to eat your syns.

Enough of calories, back to thinking of all the wonderful flexibility I have from SW :)

My diary

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-food-diaries/342035-my-path-healthier-happier-me-9.html

I guess the brutal truth is you can overthink the plan or just trust in it. We're all quite naïve in the beginning (no offence intended) and it's quite natural to think the less you eat the more weight you will lose (but think of your body going into starvation mode and hanging on to all calories as long as possible for preservation). However, cutting back on syns doesn't work at the start on SW and quite often has the opposite effect. Nevertheless, it's down to the individual - you can either listen to the 'tried and tested' members who have 'been there and done that' or try what you think is most likely to work and judge for yourself.

On a final note you haven't posted your stats, so I cannot see how much weight you want to lose. But I would say if it's more than a couple of stone then go straight in with the 15. You have nothing to lose but the weight.

I think a lot of people are worried that SW will "force" them into eating a chocolate bar or packet of Crisps for the sake of it, just when they are trying to break their bad habits, just to use you the syns, I know I did when I was a member.

I think if you are honestly not hungry, don't eat them for the sake of eating, but a lot can be incorporated into the plan to enhance its healthiness (is that a word?). Use some for a small amount of olive oil instead of frylight to get some healthy fats. Have some healthy carbs on a red day, have some lean meat on a green. Use them to bulk out your preferred choice of HEXs, some of the portions can be tiny. Use it for milk in teas and coffees etc.

And it is true that the more you have at the start of the plan when losing is easier as you are a way away from goal then the more you can trim as you get closer if necessary.

Thanks for your replies. What you've said really makes sense. I am going to try have most if not all of my 15 syns then and use them to have extra HEs, oil etc, it's a good point that I can lower syns closer to goal if needed.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I feel very reassured. I definitely won't have any problem using up those syns! I guess I didn't really believe that I could use them and still lose weight. Thanks again.

Back