¼ cup chopped pimento
1 can (4 ounces/ 110 g) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
3 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey
½ tsp seasoned slat
1/3 tsp pepper
1 can (about 10 ounces/ 280 g) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 can (13 ounces/ 370 g) evaporated milk

Method:
Put all ingredients into a slow cooker; mix. Cover and cook on Low 2 – 3 hours, or until thoroughly heated; stir once. Serve with rice.

Coq au Vin - Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 tbs butter
2 tbs vegetable oil
¾ cup chopped shallots
¼ pound salt pork, finely diced
8 pieces chicken
½ cup flour
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ cup brandy
1 clove garlic
1 Bouquet garni *
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 cup red wine eg. Burgundy

Method:
Heat butter and oil in a skillet. Saute onion, then add salt pork and brown it. Remove port and onion with a slotted spoon and reserve.
Coat chicken with a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Brown chicken pieces in fat remaining in skillet. Drain off any excess fat.
Warm brandy; pour over browned chicken and set aflame. When the flames have burned out, put the chicken into an slow cooker. Add onion, pork, garlic, bouquet garni, mushrooms, and wine.

Cover and cook for 6 – 8 hours.

Remove bouquet garni and garlic.

* Tie 1 bay leaf, 1 stalk celery with leaves, 1 sprig parsley and a pinch each thyme and rosemary leaves in a small piece of cheesecloth

Roast Chicken

1 roasting chicken (3 ½ lbs/ 1.6 kg)
2 tsp / 10 ml Liquid gravy browner

Bread stuffing:
2 tsp/ 30 ml Margarine / butter
1 chopped onion
1 stalk celery chopped
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp parsley flakes
5 bread slices cubed or crumbed

Method:
Brush chicken with gravy browner. Place in slow cooker. Cover chicken legs with foil. Cover slow cooker, cook on Low for 8 to 9 hours or on High for 4 to 4 ½ hours.
Bread stuffing: Melt margarine/butter in frying pan. Add onion and celery. Saute until soft. Remove from heat. Mix in salt, pepper, parsley and poultry seasoning. Add bread cubes. Toss well. Wrap in foil, leaving an opening at top.
Make gravy with remaining juice from chicken. Stir stuffing before serving

Lamb Stew - 6 – 8 servings

Ingredients:
3 pounds/ 1.4 kg lamb shoulder, boneless, cut in 1 ½ inch/ 4 cm cubes
1 pound potatoes, cut in large pieces
4 large carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
1 medium onion halved and thinly sliced
1 cup diagonally sliced celery
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Herb Bouquet
1 can (8 ounces/ 225 g) tomato sauce
½ cup water
1 can (16 ounces/ 450 g) cut green beans, drained
8 ounces/ 225 g fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 tablespoon flour

Method:
Put lamb into a large electric cooker. Add potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, salt, pepper, herb bouquet, tomato sauce, and water; mix.
Cover and cook on Low 8 – 10 hours.
Remove herb bouquet . Add green beans, mushrooms, and a blend of sour cream and flour to cooker. Stir.
Cover and cook on High 30 – 60 minutes. Garnish with snipped parsley, if desired.

"Irish" Stew - 4 Servings

Ingredients:
1 pound/ 450 g lamb for stew (cut into 1 ½ inch/ 3 - 4 cm pieces)
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
Pinch pepper
Oil
4 small onions, peeled
3 medium potatoes, cut in quarters
2 small carrots, cut into pieces
2 stalks celery with leaves cut into slices
1 small white turnip, cut into quarters
½ teaspoon salt
pinch pepper
1 cup hot water

Method:
Coat meat with a mixture of flour, 1 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Brown meat in oil in a skillet. Put browned meat into an electric cooker. Add vegetables, remaining slat and pepper and water, stir. Cover and cook on Low 10 – 12 hours.

*Stupid Question Alert*
Whats a slow cooker?? I want one!
They are basically an electric pot!! Put on yer dinner in the morning, go to work, come home 8 hours later and dinner is cooked, hot and waiting for you eat it :)

Cooking Safely... ***FYI FYI FYI***

Cooking food at in the temperature range of 175–200°F (80–95°C) has some disadvantages that you should be aware of.

1. Large meat cuts

The danger zone (40 -140º F or 5 - 60°C) is the temperature range that food bacteria can grow. These bacteria have the potential to cause food poisoning.

Large cuts of meat like pot roasts or whole chickens heat up slowly in a slow cooker and can allow food poisoning bacteria to multiply to substantial numbers while the food is in the danger zone. Bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus and some strains of E. coli produce toxins which are heat stable at normal cooking temperatures, even though food bacteria are all destroyed at 165°F - 75°C. These toxins can make the people very sick when they eat the food.

The risk of food poisoning can be minimised by browning the roast or searing the meat in a hot skillet or pan. This kills most of the surface bacteria where the majority of the bacteria are. Be careful not to cross contaminate! That is, do not place the cooked meat onto a surface that contains the raw juices and the bacteria of the uncooked meat. An additional benefit of searing the meat is it produces browning reactions in the cooking process which help develop the full intense flavor of cooked meat.

Stainless steel prongs can also be placed into the seared meat cut. Metal is a good conductor of heat and this will heat up the inside of the meat cut much faster.

The meat can also be cut into smaller pieces to ensure thorough cooking. This also shortens the time the food will remain in the danger zone.

2. Toxins from raw and under cooked beans.
Raw or undercooked beans, especially red and white kidney beans, contain the toxin phytohaemagglutinin which is destroyed by boiling at 232°F / 100°C. Heating kidney beans to 175°F/ 80°C can increase the level of poison up to five fold as more of the toxin is released. Red kidney beans also contains about three times more toxin than white kidney beans.

The toxin, phytohaemagglutinin, causes red blood cells to clump together. Symptoms of bean poisoning include extreme nausea, some patients developing abdominal pain. Severe vomiting may follow and after several hours diarrhoea develops. Sometimes hospitalisation may be necessary.

Recipes on this site which contain kidney beans use canned beans which have been previously heated and are safe.

If other types of raw beans are used they must not be sprouted. All dry beans must be soaked overnight. Discard the soaking water, replace with fresh water and boil for 15 minutes.

3. Loss of Vitamins

Biological enzymes contained in foods, particularly vegetables brake down vitamins. When vegetables are boiled at 232°F / 100°C the enzymes are quickly denatured, like egg whites curdling when cooked in water.

The slow cooker process doesn’t boil the food so the enzymes reduce the vitamin content during the cooking process. This can be prevented by blanching the vegetables before they are placed into the slow cooker. Sauteing the food also destroys the enzymes and helps preserve vitamins.

Ill be googling this to see how much they cost - Thanks!!!
I only bought mine the weekend.. Only got a small one.. Says its for 1 - 2 people, I'd say defo only 1!! It was half price in argos and cost €8!! So they're aren't dear at all..

Yeah i saw that on the Argos website just now. 8 yoyo's aint bad at all. I only cook for two myself so wouldn't want to go spending money on something that cooks too much food!!
Yea but it is tiny.. Myself and my BF are planning on moving in together in the coming months so when we do i'll be getting a bigger one.. Depending on how much I use this one of course.. I just for the cheaper than cheap one as a trial to see how much I use it.. If I dont actually use it as much as I plan to, I obviously won't get a new bigger one...

Good idea - I'd say a big one would come in handy if you want to freeze some things for the week. it seems useful enough if you hate standing over a pot for ages too, making sure things don't burn!
I just love the idea of going home to a nice healthy homecooked dinner :D

Oh definitely!!! Sure the only reason we want takeaways is cause its late and none of us can be arsed cooking. So gonna treat myself to one after I get to one of my goals!
Good idea... And we'll have loadsa recipes on here so ya'll have a huge choice of dinners to experiment on..

Laura, absolutely.. The only reason take away is ever opted is out of sheer laziness for me.. Or a hangover!! hee hee.. :)

Your very welcome ladies xxxxx

Dubchick81 said:
Cooking food at in the temperature range of 175–200°F (80–95°C) has some disadvantages that you should be aware of.

1. Large meat cuts
The danger zone (40 -140º F or 5 - 60°C) is the temperature range that food bacteria can grow. These bacteria have the potential to cause food poisoning.

Large cuts of meat like pot roasts or whole chickens heat up slowly in a slow cooker and can allow food poisoning bacteria to multiply to substantial numbers while the food is in the danger zone. Bacteria such as Staphylococcus aureus and some strains of E. coli produce toxins which are heat stable at normal cooking temperatures, even though food bacteria are all destroyed at 165°F - 75°C. These toxins can make the people very sick when they eat the food.

The risk of food poisoning can be minimised by browning the roast or searing the meat in a hot skillet or pan. This kills most of the surface bacteria where the majority of the bacteria are. Be careful not to cross contaminate! That is, do not place the cooked meat onto a surface that contains the raw juices and the bacteria of the uncooked meat. An additional benefit of searing the meat is it produces browning reactions in the cooking process which help develop the full intense flavor of cooked meat.

Stainless steel prongs can also be placed into the seared meat cut. Metal is a good conductor of heat and this will heat up the inside of the meat cut much faster.

The meat can also be cut into smaller pieces to ensure thorough cooking. This also shortens the time the food will remain in the danger zone.

2. Toxins from raw and under cooked beans.
Raw or undercooked beans, especially red and white kidney beans, contain the toxin phytohaemagglutinin which is destroyed by boiling at 232°F / 100°C. Heating kidney beans to 175°F/ 80°C can increase the level of poison up to five fold as more of the toxin is released. Red kidney beans also contains about three times more toxin than white kidney beans.

The toxin, phytohaemagglutinin, causes red blood cells to clump together. Symptoms of bean poisoning include extreme nausea, some patients developing abdominal pain. Severe vomiting may follow and after several hours diarrhoea develops. Sometimes hospitalisation may be necessary.

Recipes on this site which contain kidney beans use canned beans which have been previously heated and are safe.

If other types of raw beans are used they must not be sprouted. All dry beans must be soaked overnight. Discard the soaking water, replace with fresh water and boil for 15 minutes.

3. Loss of Vitamins
Biological enzymes contained in foods, particularly vegetables brake down vitamins. When vegetables are boiled at 232°F / 100°C the enzymes are quickly denatured, like egg whites curdling when cooked in water.

The slow cooker process doesn’t boil the food so the enzymes reduce the vitamin content during the cooking process. This can be prevented by blanching the vegetables before they are placed into the slow cooker. Sauteing the food also destroys the enzymes and helps preserve vitamins.

Ohhhhh my word, thanks for the info frances, didn't no any off this xxxxx

Back