slow cooker?

Those of you who user timers with your slow cooker - do you not worry about leaving food lying out for several hours, particularly meat?

ive used the slow cooker like this for ages, and never had a problem. the food really does get quite hot in the end, and i think all the bugs are killed off

On this topic I was in asda last night and they are selling slow cookers for £9!!!! Bargain!!

Me too! - I was going to get one for £9 - it was the 3l capacity, but not sure what I'd use it for or how I'd benefit.

Someone please tell this bloke what a slow cooker can do that my existing pans/pressure cooker/casserole dishes etc. cannot do?

Are they on a timer for example?

Slowcookers can have timers if you buy a posh one, most cheap ones are not. I have a cheap one.
The idea is you can put a stew/chilli/chicken/rice pudding endless recipes really in it either the night before and keep in fridge. Or in the morning before work. Turn it on low when you leave for work /day out etc. And come home hours later to a beautifully cooked meal waiting.
They are more economical to run than a cooker.
Or like me who has teens in and out as they please, it's just ready to dish up whenever they appear like hungry birds.
It can cook any dish that involves water. Not really for dry things like a normal oven. Hope that helps x

Slowcookers can have timers if you buy a posh one, most cheap ones are not. I have a cheap one.
The idea is you can put a stew/chilli/chicken/rice pudding endless recipes really in it either the night before and keep in fridge. Or in the morning before work. Turn it on low when you leave for work /day out etc. And come home hours later to a beautifully cooked meal waiting.
They are more economical to run than a cooker.
Or like me who has teens in and out as they please, it's just ready to dish up whenever they appear like hungry birds.
It can cook any dish that involves water. Not really for dry things like a normal oven. Hope that helps x

Thanks, help me out here (as never used one) do they not spoil/overcook/burn etc.? - can't the same be achieved on a very low oven and casserole dish ovenware pot etc.?

Those of you who user timers with your slow cooker - do you not worry about leaving food lying out for several hours, particularly meat?

truthfully I'm not worried by leaving food out, if its fresh enough when I leave it a couple of hours isn't going to make much difference and as posted before the temp it gets to would kill any harmful bacteria off IMO x

They'd it b urn as long as there's been enough water in it to start. The sc makes condensation therefor is adding more water as it cooks. I made Ragu for 16 hours this week in mine.
The same can be done in the the oven but I'm guessing it would dry up , and cost a lot more to run your oven all day.

Just bought one from Tesco for £10! Going to have a look for some nice recipes on here. :)

Slow cooker out of hibernation - autumn is definately here.

Gammon joint cooked in diet coke yesterday - delicious.

Trying the new slow cooker out tomorrow. Chicken curry.

I so want to try diet coke gammon,I may have to buy one tomorrow,do I put anything else in? Xx
I didn't just the gammon, cooked on low for about 7 hours - ooh I love the flexibility of slow cooking :D

Today I'm doing chicken, leek & carrots in diet coke - definately a theme running here!

Right you lot - in need of coaching and inspiration!

I picked up the Asda £9 special today (3l capacity only).

I have also picked up a chicken, a gammon joint and a joint of topside.

I have assorted veg & spuds. - oh and a reservoir of diet coke if necessary.

The booklet included only has safety instructions etc. please advise how on earht I go about using this contraption and especially the diet coke-infused meats. I can cook in the traditional manner in roasting dishes etc. but what exactly does this use. Surely it is a little more complex than shoving everything in setting a low setting and eating it after work? - it must be a little more complex than that?

Please advise so I can have something hot to look forward to after work tomoorow!

Many thanks

Steve.

It's no more complicated than you said. People differ,I prefer to brown anything I would normally brown ,say when making chilli, bit other people live with throwing it in and enjoying. If you get home and you have time,some people open the lid a little to help the stock thicker. If making beef,carrot,potato stew with stock cubes,I add a tbsp bisto just before eating. You can buy thickening granules too.
I'm doing gammon diet coke fir first time tomorrow,I'm taking the fat off, adding one or two cans diet coke (seeing how much one looks) some Chinese 5 spice and maybe a bay leaf ( but just diet coke s fine)
We can compare notes as to how it turns out.
If it's a big thick piece of meat the size of the pot,always cut into the middle to test it's heated through.
I don't think I've ever done a full chicken, just make sure there's stock for a couple inches,remember the pot wool produce some water of it's own,as there's nowhere for it to go,so don't fill water to top.

I'm sure other people will have advice.
Good luck x

Make sure if you do crock pot recipe search you find UK recipes, I cannot believe the bland processed crap that pretends to be a 'recipe' from the US! I mean a can of soup in everything yuk!
Crockpot 102 - Slow Cooker Cooking Lessons - How to Use a Crockpot Helps with timings

I have heard people 'bake' potatoes in the slow cooker, making a 'trivet' of scrunched tin foil balls.

Layering is important so root veg on the bottom as it takes longer to cook.

I love my zip lock bags, so I prepare the ingredients, pop into a bag in the fridge overnight then empty into the pot in the morning and turn on. There's not enough room in my fridge for the pot!
Cooking healthy living mince in the slow cooker gets rid of the bounciness!

Back