slow cooker?

mrsjoyt

resident foodaholic
can anyone recommend a good slow cooker? and how much are they usually? I think it might come in handy and keep me on track if i got one, esp with the winter months coming... :)

They are all much or a much to be honest and the cheap ones work just as well as more expensive models. I got a cheap Cookworks one from Argos and it's great - I actually went on to get one for other members of my family as xmas pressies. (It was on sale and cost anout £10)

Get an oval one if you intend to do chickens as you may struggle to fit them in a round one. You need one with low, high and warm settings and although you can get them with timers, they are more expensive and not really required. A 3.5L slow cooker if fine for your average size family of 4.

Get an oval one if you intend to do chickens as you may struggle to fit them in a round one. You need one with low, high and warm settings and although you can get them with timers, they are more expensive and not really required. A 3.5L slow cooker if fine for your average size family of 4.

I agree, mine is 3.5L and is sufficient for a decent joint of meat / chicken or huge casserole. Had mine a few years now, think it was from sainsburys (or tesco) paid around £20 - it's a godsend in the winter months to come home to a hot meal. :)

thanks ladies, I was expecting £50+ but thats really good, will look for the bigger ones (3.5l) then as there are 4 of us here usually and 5 on a weekend.

Thank you :)

I just looked online at tesco (were going tonight so thought i'd check what they had) and they have this one on....

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2168.aspx

looks good to me, esp price wise and 9.1 out of 10 in 299 reviews, it sounds fab :)

I've just got a standard one (well we have 2 because I had one and DH had one when he moved in)

you can buy a plug in timer for a couple of quid, I work 12 hour shifts so am out of the house for 13 hours so set the timer to come on about 6-8 hours before I'm due to get in

invaluable in the winter months x

I got a cheapie one from tesco ( own brand) for about £12 - it's brilliant. Wouldn't be without now.

Thank you :)

I just looked online at tesco (were going tonight so thought i'd check what they had) and they have this one on....

Tesco SC356 Slow Cooker - Tesco.Direct

looks good to me, esp price wise and 9.1 out of 10 in 299 reviews, it sounds fab :)

I have that Tesco one - works perfectly fine, and well worth it for a tenner.

Only thing it lacks is a timer, but as someone said, you can always use a plug in timer if you dont want it to come on straight away - always worth having those timers around the house anyway so you can set lamps to come on/off while you are on holiday.

ASDA have one on offer at £9 at the mo, but its a round one - as someone mentioned, not ideal for cooking whole chickens (not tried that yet - maybe its time I did!)

I have the cheap Argos one and it's fab. I've had it for years and it's still going strong. Cooks everything that a more expensive one will do. Love porridge in it. Makes it lovely and creamy even when made with water.

fantastic thanks ladies, i'm gonna get the tesco one tonight :)

Great idea with the timer plug, hadn't thought about that. I love mine but don't use it too often as out house for long days. But I will, off to buy a plug now x

The tesco one looks good. Might have to pop in and get one! Not really thought about a slow cooker before till i came across here. Thank You for posting :)

I have cheap and cheerful Rival one from Argos lasted me years. Does what It says on the tin. I took the massive one back as I found it too big for four.

Last edited:
On this topic I was in asda last night and they are selling slow cookers for £9!!!! Bargain!!

love my slow cooker! i use a plug in time with mine aswell.

im on the late shift today, so have got a curry bubbling away in it....and enough for tomorrow too. that should be a nice surprise for the BF when he gets home!

I have 2 slow coolers so I can do meat stews for the men of the house and veggie one for me. Once it gets cold I use them all the time. My fav Butternut squash and red lentil soup is so much better when its been cooked slowly all day. It just takes 10 mins prep in the morning and dinner is served!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Back