Slow Cooker

will be interested to see what people so use thers for, Ive got one but havent used it since starting the diet x

Soup, it was nice too!

I suppose stews, I dont have one but my ex mother in law did

I used to always do stew type casserole type things in mine, but dont know how SW friendly that would be x

You could do the veg soup recipe in a slow cooker, I threw lots of veg seasoning and herbs in mine, then blended it all.

KAHARI CHICKEN CURRY - Free on Red (as far as I know!)

450g Chicken Breasts - Skinned and Cut into Strips
1/2 Pint of Water
Fry Light (Or you can use Veg Oil if you want to use a few syns)
2 sml Bunches of Spring Onions Roughly Chopped
1tsp Grated Ginger
1tsp Crushed Dried Red Chilli
2tbsp Lemon Juice
2tbsp Chopped Corriander
2tbsp Mint
3 Tomatoes Seeded and Roughly Chopped
1tsp Salt

Put Chicken and Water into a large pan, bring to boil and lower heat to medium, cook for about 10 mins or until water has evaparated and the chicken is cooked. Remove pan from heat and set aside.

Spray large pan with fry light or oil (whichever your using) add spring onions and stir fry for about 2 mins until soft, add the boiled chicken strips and stir over medium heat for about 3 mins or until chicken has browned.
Add ginger, chilli, lemon juice, corriander, mint, toms and salt and stir gently for a few mins!

Free on red
Chunky beef casserole - Serves 4
1Lb extra lean stewing steak
4 sticks of celery
2 onions
3 carrots
12oz swede
2 garlic cloves
400g tin of tomatoes
2 heaped tsp of bovril mixed with 400ml hot water
1tsp artificial sweetner
1 bayleaf, 2tsp dried mixed herbs, sald and freshly ground black pepper.
Preheat teh oven to 220'c/gas 7. Cut steak into large chunks; slice the celery; roughly chop the onion, carrots and swede; crush the garlic. Put all the ingredients in a casserold dish, season well and cover.
Bake for one hour, turn the heat down to 180'c/gas 4, stir the casserole cover and cook for 1 and a half hours or until the meat is tender.
Remove from the oven allow to cool for 10 mins and serve with fave veg.
This is also out of an old SW mag.

Just found these in the recipes Sticky, can't see why theycan't be done in the slow cooker.

For the caseroles I just used to put some stewing steak (from the butchers) carrots, potatoes, parsnips, sweet potatoes, turnip, water and gravy salts in, put it on low before work and voila it was ready by the time I got home! But Im sure it could be adapted for SW..... its ever so tastey! xxx

on a red day i'll bung a whole chicken in the slow cooker before work and serve it up with salad etc at tea time, it is soooo tender, I've picked it up out of the pot before and the breasts just came off the bones:eek:

Also I do quorn chilli in it, just put all the cold ingredients in and leave it simmering, add the kidney beans about an hour before serving :D

Just to let people know (incase you dont already) but....... You cannot cook dried red kidney beans from their raw state in a slow cooker because it won’t reach a high enough temperature to destroy the natural toxins - my BFs mum told me that when we bought ours xxx

Just to let people know (incase you dont already) but....... You cannot cook dried red kidney beans from their raw state in a slow cooker because it won’t reach a high enough temperature to destroy the natural toxins - my BFs mum told me that when we bought ours xxx

bfs mams are great for telling you stuff you never needed to know lol

hi i dont know an awful lot about slow cookers but i would most definetly think you needed to put water in with your chicken if you cook it in there...............am just guessing but almost sure you need fluid in with it (its worrying is this chicken in slow cooker malarky)......dont want you to burn the house down lol

Back