• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Slow cookers and instant mash

S: 19st7.0lb C: 17st0lb G: 12st0lb BMI: 34.1 Loss: 2st7lb(12.82%)
Hi folks, I read on here that a lot of you guys use instant mash to thicken you sauces when you've used your slow cooker.

Perhaps a stupid question, but when do you add the mash?

I'm guessing it's at the end of cooking and that I should just add a bit at a time until I get the right consistency. But, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

I've got a Lamb Tagine on the go ATM and want to to be just right.

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

sarah83

I will be a yummy mummy!
S: 16st9lb C: 15st8.5lb G: 12st7lb BMI: 38.7 Loss: 1st0.5lb(6.22%)
I usually check it an hour before the end, then gradually add every so often until the consistency is right - it's a brilliant syn free way to thicken casseroles and curries

thanks for the replies.

I added a sprinkle of instant mash when I got home from work and it did the trick brilliantly.

The tagine was one of the best things I've ever tasted in my life!!!!!!

where did you get the recipe for the lamb tagine missyp284 ?
I kind of made it up.

I just googled Lamb Tagine and then combined a few different recipies. I missed out the apricots and cashew nuts though, too many syns :rolleyes:

I'm at work at the minute, but if you want the recipie, I'll post it when I get home.

ok folks, as requested, heres my recepie for slow cooker lamb tagine

Serves 4

1kg cubed lamb
tin chopped tomatoes
large chopped onion
4 cloves garlic
2 tspn ginger
4 tspn paprika
4 tspn chilli flakes
2 tspn turmeric
1 tspn ground cinnamon
4 tspn ground cumin
3 tbspn ground corriander
2 tbspn chopped parsley
2 tbspn chopped corriander
2 tbspn honey (5 SYNS)
4 tspn sweetner
2 chicken stock cubes

Bung everything in the slow cooker, except for the chopped parsley and chopped corriander. Cook on low for approx 8 hours.

Just before serving add the chopped parsley and chopped corriander, and if needed add a sprinkle of instant mash to thicken.

And voila, a beautiful lamb tagine, with only just over 1 SYN per (GENEROUS)portion.

I'm not a big fan of cous cous, so I had mine with quinoa, mixed with peas and sweetcorn and a bit more copped corriander.

Now I'm also aware that I've used a LOT of spices, but I love them, you might want to reduce the quantities a little bit if you don't like things too hot.

Hope you like it, let me know.

ETA, I'll post as a seperate recipe thraed as well.