Slow cookers/cooking !

Oh god can't recommend one enough!

Cheap meat in --> 8 hours later --> Lovely stew!!

M.

what do you do about vegetables ??? many decades ago I remember they never used to cook properly, unless it was my rubbish cooking. :eek::D

Do you think quorn will be ok in one ? I dont eat meat these days.

Deb x

I brown the meat first in the pan and then throw it in, I then cut the vegetables into 1 inch squares (potatoes, carrots, turnips, swede, onions, mushrooms, sweet potatoes) and then put in some stock (I usually use vegetable stock), and then just throw it on.

I got a big one for about 25 quid from Argos and is ideal for a family of 4.

Mike

Vegetables take a long time and root veg need to be sliced thinly. I haven't used a slow cooker in years and they may be more effective these days but from memory the vegetables needed a lot more cooking time than meat. On the plus side they don't dry out or mush up.

Quorn is absolutely fine I find as well, they do Quorn swedish meatballs (frozen) which I have used.

I do tend to leave my meat very big though so it doesn't fall to bits and disappear.

M.

:D We still have one, they are very handy as we both work, we have a steamer for our veg, you dont lose the flavour of the veg, we also do our fish in it :D

Quorn is absolutely fine I find as well, they do Quorn swedish meatballs (frozen) which I have used.

I do tend to leave my meat very big though so it doesn't fall to bits and disappear.

M.

I quite fancy the Quorn swedish meatballs, are they nice?
xx

I have gone and treated myself to one, and as I type my first attempt at doing a vegetarian chilli in it is now in the pot!! :D

Will let you know how it comes out. :). Hopefully it should be nice and cooked ready for tonight (fingers crossed).

Hubby is eyeing it up to cook his lamb joint in it the weekend :eek:

Deb x

Well tonight I am gonna do myself a chicken casserole in my slow cooker.
Chicken, potatoes, carrots, onions and minty gravy.
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Wooohooo I am delighted with my slow cooker! :D

The chilli came out fab, and even hubby had a nice dish too with some scrummy butternut squash mash! All a very heathly 6 points and two stuffed tums.

Made enough to have a small portion for lunch today and have enough for another dish some time in the week.. unless it disappears at supper time when hubby goes on the mooch in the fridge. :eatdrink051:

Today I chucked for stuff in to make a nice caserole with lentils, soya beans, spuds, carrots etc... and yummmmmmy had a portion tonight for my tea with some oven roasted aubergine.! Pointed it all up. :)

Will switch it back on low tomorrow morning so that when I come back from the Race for Life run am doing it will be nice and warm ready for scoffing. :D

I am quite chuffed with my slow cooker at moment. They seem so much better than the one I had years ago.

Deb x

"Well Stuffed " :party0038:

Feel like I am eating too much to loose any weight this week, but will see how it goes, am enjoying some nice healthy food for a change. :eat:

Slow Cookers, best thing invented since sliced bread LOL

Did a chick casserole the other day and today a chilli absolutely fab things. Mine is quite big and it was knocked down in argos. It was only 8.99 and it is fab, cooks everything to perfection, well recommended......xx:D

Back