Slow Cookers

good tips, i've been debating getting one for ages. im really bad when it comes to new gadgets, i.e i bought a steamer and used it tons at first now its relegated to the back of the cupboard! but if i can make lots of yummy sw recipes with it i might give it a go!

I must admit, the one that I have bought is a CrockPot which was expensive - £42 but it is fantastic, you can use the insert on a naked flame, in the oven, in the freezer etc... so I will probably get a great deal of use out of it...The recipe book that came with it has been written by Phil Vickery and they all sound gorgeous... that's where the Indian Korma has come from..

OK - but remember that this is not a SW meal and you will need to customise it ..

1lb boneless Lamb
2tbsp olive oil
1tbsp Ground Coriander
1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
1tsp ground turmeric
1tsp ground cinnamon
6 cardamon pods crushed
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 medium onions
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
4 floz boiling water
chicken stock cube
pepper & salt
6 tbsp cream - optional !!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:
2 tomatoes roughly chopped
2 tbsps fresh coriander to serve

Warm the oil and add the spices.. cook gently for 2-3 mins. DO NOT BURN
Add the garlic, onions, and ginger - cook for 4 mins, coating well with the spices.
Add the lamb, water and stock cube,season well and cook for 5 - 6 hours on low.
Once cooked stir well, add cream, tomatoes and coriander.
Check seasoning and serve

Enjoy !!!:D:D:D:D

slow cookers are great for soup ,just chuck in all your veg,tinned tomatoes ,tomato puree,stock cube,spices etc, leave to cook, whizz up with a wand/whizzer thingy and you have a fantastic soup that you can drink anytime even take to work in a flask. you can add fresh herbs as you serve it,,,,,,,,get cooking

haven't been on for a couple of days come on and see this thread and guess what i brought one today!!!
i got it from argos only £12.99 its a cook works one and i have a spag bol cooking in it now!
It smells delicious already ....
i work all day mon/wed/fri so it'll be ideal...
although i have read its best to fry the mince onions b4 hand but i haven't cos the whole point is it being easier!? i hope it turns out ok!
Bit annoyed cos mine says low-cooking time 8-10 hours and high 7-8 i thought it might be a bit quicker than that!
I normally have dinner at 5 ish but have to wait an hour longer tonight :-(
xxx

I'm sure I've seen a recipe somewhere for polenta or couscous dumplings - ideal with the EE plan. I'll have a scout round for it. Unless it was a dream :rolleyes:
Stacey - how do you do your kleftiko please? Love it, and stifado and gyros and being on holiday lol :character00180:

I have a feeling I just used a recipe from the SW site but just bunged it all in the slow cooker!

ETA: I used the 'slow braised lamb shanks' recipe off SW site.

I'm buying one today as soon as OH gets out of bed (he's been on nightshift not just lazy. Honest :8855:)

Well i bought my slow cooker today and i am so excited to try it out. It seems to fit in really well with slimming world recipes.
Beef stew tomorrow and I can't wait :)

After the advice on here I bought one too at the weekend and did the SW Beef Stew yesterday and it was gorgeous! Thanks ladies x

When putting beef chicken stock in recepies is it beef/chicken cubes?

Having read all about slow cookers I am thinking of getting one. Could anyone tell me which one they got and where from? What size and settings should I go for?

Irene xx

Size really depends on storage space and what you are planning on cooking. I have quite a big one and am able to do a large chicken or joint in it. My aunt has a teeny wee one which she uses all the time as she just cooks for 2 - even buying joints of meat and cutting them down to fit! the book that came with mine also said not to brown the meat or pre heat the dish - some do require you to do that. I do like mine and could probably use it more than I do.

i got mine from argos, i saw it on the website it had over 70 great reviews its cook works and it was £12.99

Back