Small Losses? My random thoughts..

LegoLass

OK, so this is obvious and simple.. but maybe someone hadn't thought of it this way... so here goes!

I'm a long time lurker that joined last night.. and whilst lurking i've seen a lot of threads with people that are so close to target (or didn't have loads to lose from the start) that are downhearted with their small losses. Other people.. like me, at 18 stone, are seeing consistent 2lb's a week.. whilst you may only be losing 0.5-1lb.

Whilst number crunching, I realised something. At 18 stone, I need to lose a much higher amount to achieve the same percentage of weight loss as you. So, your 1.7lb's loss is equal to my 2.5lbs (ish) loss in terms of percentage of weight lost.

Hope that makes sense and spurs you on!

:D

OK, so this is obvious and simple.. but maybe someone hadn't thought of it this way... so here goes!

I'm a long time lurker that joined last night.. and whilst lurking i've seen a lot of threads with people that are so close to target (or didn't have loads to lose from the start) that are downhearted with their small losses. Other people.. like me, at 18 stone, are seeing consistent 2lb's a week.. whilst you may only be losing 0.5-1lb.

Whilst number crunching, I realised something. At 18 stone, I need to lose a much higher amount to achieve the same percentage of weight loss as you. So, your 1.7lb's loss is equal to my 2.5lbs (ish) loss in terms of percentage of weight lost.

Hope that makes sense and spurs you on!

:D

i think that is a fabulous post. More people need to think like you :) <3 xx

That's such a good way of looking at it. It has been suggested on here that SOW and SOM should be done on per centage lost rather than lbs suppose it would make the ones with not much to lose feel better about small losses. But I think that those with more to lose may need the motivation of lbs (see the big number on scale) rather than per centage to spur them on? Hmm not sure myself!

That's such a good way of looking at it. It has been suggested on here that SOW and SOM should be done on per centage lost rather than lbs suppose it would make the ones with not much to lose feel better about small losses. But I think that those with more to lose may need the motivation of lbs (see the big number on scale) rather than per centage to spur them on? Hmm not sure myself!

I agree - I found I didn't take sotm seriously because my 2lb was as big percentage for me but no where near the 5lb so of the new bigger ladies. Surely the more u have to loose the more lbs you will loose if u do sw 100% - so means same people get sotw or sotm. Sorry if that makes me seem mean but I'd have loved to get sotm just once.

I agree - I found I didn't take sotm seriously because my 2lb was as big percentage for me but no where near the 5lb so of the new bigger ladies. Surely the more u have to loose the more lbs you will loose if u do sw 100% - so means same people get sotw or sotm. Sorry if that makes me seem mean but I'd have loved to get sotm just once.

I think it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other really, whichever way its done its not going to be totally fair. Those with not a lot to lose are generally not going to get big number on the scales in comparison to others who have more to lose. But then those with a bit more to lose are not going to get massive % weight losses even with a bigger number on the scale. Maybe the way it's done now is because those with more to lose have a longer :airquote:journey:airquote: and therefore need the shineys to keep them motivated? I'm just bitter cause whenever I have a loss that I think could be in with a chance of getting SOTW someone else has a massive loss :sigh:

Something that I found on here a long time ago and like to keep round for those weeks with smaller loses. It seems quite appropriate for this thread.

Hello, do you know me? If you don't you should. I'm a pound of fat, and I'm the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet. Want to know why?

It's because no one ever wants to lose me; I'm Only One Pound, just a pound. Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds or fifteen pounds, but never only one, so I just stick around and happily keep you fat.

Then I add to myself ever so slyly so that you never seem to notice it, that is until I've grown to ten, twenty or even more pounds in weight. Yes, it's fun being Only One Pound of fat, left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying "Oh, I only lost one pound." ( as if that were such a terrible thing!)

For you see, if you do this you'll encourage others to keep me around because they will think I'm not worth losing. And I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you. Happy Days!!

After all, I'm Only One Pound of fat!!!

Back