Smoked Salmon panic query

Zebs07

Dance the positive spin..
First off, im sorry for asking another panic question! Its about my smoked salmon which is pretty much my staple - i swiched to Aldis ss a few weeks ago but just today noticed its billed as cured in demarara sugar!!! For all i know this is normal - but it set alarm bells ringing!

After my first week losses, i didnt drop more than a pound in next fortnight - i was then BAD and fell off wagon for a late night choccy snack followed by the next day's meals aswell - which resulted in 8.75lb gain - eeeeek! Previous to that i had done 3 days pp in preparation for 3 days pv when i had family staying! The 'fall' was the day after the 3day pv when family left; so the next day i went back on 3 days pp and have kept up the same alternating 3day rhythm since! I have only lost 4lb of said gain since (in 8 days). I understand the gain is my fault but its not shifting as i expected given it was just 36hours (and presumably a fair chunk being water-glycogen etc) and that on top of a near-stall in previous fortnight has me wondering in case im missing something else!!

God i dont half digress - back to the smoked salmon! (which i really really hope is ok). Im just wondering/panicking if that cud be contributing to slowing me down or if its normal levels nutritionally for smoked salmon. Im not sure how to guage it given the good fish fats which is something i struggle to get my head around etc

Per 100g
Energy 771kj/185kcal
Protein 20.6g
Carbs 0.4g
of which sugars 0.4g
Fat 11.2
of which saturates 4.3g
Sodium 1.35g

Cals 10% rec daily amount
Fat 16%
Sat fat 22%
salt 56%

i easily have 150g a day and admittedly quite often 200% which is obviously twice the above....

PS. I do realise the sodium is high but im happy with that water retention risk as i have blood pressure crash issues and am encouraged to eat extra salt to help that! I also drink average 4litre minimum per day to help counteract salts. Its more the fats im concerned about

Thank you so much for trawling thru all this xx

Stay calm!

> Im just wondering/panicking if that cud be contributing to slowing me down

It's possible - smoked and salted food does cause water retention, so relying on it for most of your protein intake is not a good idea.

Could you bear to switch to fresh salmon instead - and add in a greater variety of fresh fish, meat or poultry.

Like you I have low blood pressure (I don't panic but a student nurse once convinced herself I was dying and started pushing alarms. I had no idea what all the fuss was until the crash team asked me to put the cup of tea down so they could check me over)

I too have to limit smoked salmon because of the salt, it definitely causes water retention with me. I use it sparingly and not everyday in some scrambled eggs, gives them a nice salty flavour. :)

In regards to the sugar, the only ss I have been able to find without it is some in Sainsburys and LIDL. All of the ss in Tesco and Waitrose have sugar so definitely off limits for me.

Thanks folks! I will try dropping the amount of smoked salmon some but bet ill cave to a degree and still end up having some everyday (but it will be less lol).

Normal protein wise, I do mix it up and have some ham, chicken and smoked salmon everyday - prawns 3/4 days a week and fresh salmon and mince maybe once a week - but will try and up the fresh/over/smoked fish ratio a bit! I admit a lot of my choices have been down to difficulties physically with me cooking (and laziness lol) and getting in habit of relying on opening packets a fair amount over actually using the steamer! Lol. No More! Im on it...

Im also gonna try keeping a rough tally of my dairy totals alongside my weight chart and see if any clues arise there!

Thanks again for advices... Its a minefield eh!

Last edited:
Atropos said:
Like you I have low blood pressure (I don't panic but a student nurse once convinced herself I was dying and started pushing alarms. I had no idea what all the fuss was until the crash team asked me to put the cup of tea down so they could check me over)

Eeeeeek :eek: - u gotta laugh eh xx

How peculiar! I have a packet of (French) Aldi smoked salmon here and there's no mention of sugar! hmm.

I adore smoked salmon and have it every Sunday morning for breakfast with scrambled eggs and fake caviar eggs BUT I know it causes a (water) weight gain if I have it in the evening. I still do sporadically but I know the numbers on the scale will increase the following day, only to drop again thereafter.

Last night I had normal salmon with eggs. Not as tasty, I admit, but far nicer for today's weigh in ;)

(I'm a 90/60 girl since losing my weight)

Back