Smokey Bacon Tomato Pasta

Eliza32

Made this last night, turned out really lovely, so though I would share. Is free on EE and would serve 2 hungries, or 3 not-so-hungries.

500ml carton of passata
1 fat clove of garlic
medium red onion
5 or 6 medium mushrooms
pinch sweetner
half teaspoon chipotle chilli or teaspoon chipotle cholula sauce (available in Asda)
250g pasta (I used penne)
Pack of smoked bacon

Put pan of water on to boil for pasta.
chop garlic, mushrooms and onion
cut up bacon into strips about quarter inch wide, so they look like fat matchsticks (I bought pack of 6 thick slices middle bacon, cut off all fat then cut across the meaty part)
when water boiled, drop in pasta, then in another pan fry onions in fry light, when browning slightly, add mushrooms and garlic. stir for a couple of minutes then add bacon until cooked through. Add chilli (or sauce) passata and sweetner.
Turn down heat and simmer for remaining time that it takes past to cook (it will go quite thick)
Drain pasta when ready, stir into sauce and serve.
Scrummy, meant to take a photo to put on here, but it was too good so couldn't wait!!!

Mmmm that sounds yummyyy x

Thought about stirring in a bit of 0% yoghurt at the end to make it more creamy, but didn't want to ruin it!! I'm not noted for my cooking skills, so it was great to cook something that OH actually asked if we can have again!!!!

Ooops, didn't think about that. Don't think there's any info on the label, but will check. Didn't think about it as I used actual chipotle flakes which will be free. Suppose you could use normal chilli flakes and a bit of smoked paprika to achieve a similar taste and they would both be free. Can't see the cholula being much tho for only a teaspoon (and trust me, that's all you need - chipotle is smoked jalapeno if you didn't know, so it's rather hot!)

Sounds Fab, i will def. try this. I love Pasta.

Donnax

One thing I love about this forum is you can search what is in your fridge and find a meal... I searched bacon tomato pasta and this come up! I used smoked paprika and chilli flakes instead of chipotle sauce and also tipped a load of frozen veg into the passata instead of the mushrooms. Yummy and makes a huge pan full. Got loads left!

Back