Solution Focused Therapy (Brief Therapy) Very Interesting!!!

niki2009

I am quite interested in Solution Focused Therapy.
I wondered whether it would be helpful to use the some of the basics of the theory to help ourselves.
Solution Focused Therapy is about taking the presenting problem and setting small realistic goals(our weekly weightlosses) towards the final goal( a healthy weight).
Its about not dwelling in the past - but looking forward.
One scenario used in brief therapy might be:-

Suppose one night while you were asleep this miracle happened and you woke up at your healthy weight!!!!!

How would you know?
What would be different?
How would your children, partner etc know?

The idea is to focus on current resources ( LT for e.g). and future hopes ( wieghtloss and maintanance rather than present causes and past problems) Hopefully in doing this when your having self doubt and weak moments you can re-focuss on you intended goal.
We are kind of annonymous here so i feel i can share my feelings, if anyone one else wants to post - then fire away.:):):)

Good luck to everyone!
N
x

If I woke up and found myself at my desired weight....
I would Know because - every morning when i get up and go into the bathroom i would be able to look in the mirror and like what i see.:D:D
I would be able to open the wardrobe (on a weekend) and feel happy about being able to put on a pair of jeans without wondering whether i'll be able to fasten then or whether i have a bulge over the top of the waist!!!!:D:D
When the kids say can we go swimming - my first thought would be what have we got on today - not Oh my god! I'll have to bear all infront of all those people.
When i go with the kids to McDonalds I won't want to stare at all those slim people who are happily downing fast food without a care in the world while i begrudgingly sip a latte ( obviously prior to LT)
When my hubby says do you want to go out with my work colleagues i will think - absolutely!!!:D:D:D
I will spend less time getting ready - because i will like myself in what i wear.
I will be able to see friends that don't live(the ones i've avoided meeting up with)
And when i see someone in the supermarket that i haven't seen for a while and they say ' Oh you look well" I know they don't mean " Oh you've put on weight"!!!
I'll have more energy to go on bike rides and play badminton and play football in the park - the kids will notice this.
When i book a holiday i won't count down the weeks and try to work out how much weight i've got to lose beforehand. Then wonder just as it's nearing how on earth i can lose three stone in fourteen sleeps!!!:):):)
Right that's me done for now:-
Feeling much better and re-focused.
N
x
:p:p:):):p:):p:):p:):p:)

Niki -that's just about everything I would want!
I would know by getting dressed without the tears and fears. My OH would know because I'd want sex again lol (sorry if TMI!!). My purse would know cus I'd stop buying cover up clothes and wear all the gorgeous clothes I already have. My kids would know because I'd wake up after a proper nights sleep and I'd have energy to cope with the day. So my house would know too because I'd have energy to clean it properly. My legs would know because I'd start going for my beloved walks again. My brain would know because I'd lose the fear of sitting in my uni classes. And my friends would know because I'd stop yapping about how unhappy I am in my own body.

Christ! My weight affects everything. Thanks for this -yet another wake up call telling me to sort this out now!

I just want rid of this obsession!! Lmao

mmm not heard of it before but very interesting,

I agree with everything said above!!!, we are all pretty much in the same boat its just being brave enough to see the whole picture...now i'm loosing weight i realise all my excuses before were weight related....
makes you think doesnt it!, but In the distance i can imagine waking up and feeling that "O YEAH" i feel good feeling x

These thoughts have really kept me going this afternoon. :):)
This is what i'm going to do - when i have a weak moment i am gonna read back my first post and remember all of the things i want to feel/ think etc. As each week passes i know i'll be that much closer....:D:D:D:D
Also went on the wii fit this afternoon, shamefully not been on since december however it recorded my BMI as 29.?? and changed my classification from obese:( to overweight:D:D - gave me a bit of a boost!!!
N
x
:p:):p:):p:):p:):p

Back