Some fascinating research about VLCD

GoingToLoseWeight

I am an academic, nosy, curious type. So both before and since starting the CD (Day 7 today!) I have been looking into it.

I found a couple of interesting articles I wanted to share with the rest of you.

The first states:

"Objective: This study examined food cravings during a primarily food-based low-calorie diet (LCD) and a supplement-based very-LCD (VLCD).

Research Methods and Procedures: The Food Craving Inventory (FCI) was used to measure general cravings and cravings for specific types of foods (sweets, high fats, carbohydrates/starches, and fast food fats). The FCI was completed by participants in the LCD and VLCD programs at baseline and after 11 weeks of dieting. The VLCD group also completed the FCI at Week 6 and after 5 weeks of a refeeding phase, when their diet consisted primarily of solid food.

Results: From baseline to Week 12, craving decreases were greater for the VLCD group than for the LCD group on all measures. All craving measures decreased significantly for the VLCD group. The LCD group experienced a marginally significant decrease in sweet cravings. Within the VLCD group, all craving measures decreased significantly by Week 6 and did not change thereafter, including after resumption of solid food intake, and craving scores during all dieting points were lower than baseline. Changes in cravings were not related to weight loss.

Discussion: Cravings did not increase during either diet; all changes represented decreases. Compared with a primarily food-based diet (LCD), a more restrictive supplement-based diet (VLCD) resulted in significantly larger decreases in food cravings that occurred by the end of the 5th week of supplement use and did not rebound with resumption of solid food intake. The results of this study suggest that food cravings diminish with calorie restriction."

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/...ourcetype=HWCIT

The second suggests increased insulin sensitivity after 8 weeks on a VLCD (a good thing!)

http://www.obesityresearch.org/cgi/...stract/15/1/117

VLCD may well help to keep weight off long-term:

"Abstract

Objective: To review of the literature on the topic of very-low-calorie diets (VLCDs) and the long-term weight-maintenance success in the treatment of obesity.

Research Methods and Procedures: A literature search of the following keywords: VLCD, long-term weight maintenance, and dietary treatment of obesity.

Results: VLCDs and low-calorie diets with an average intake between 400 and 800 kcal do not differ in body weight loss. Nine randomized control trials, including VLCD treatment with long-term weight maintenance, show a large variation in the initial weight loss regain percentage, which ranged from -7% to 122% at the 1-year follow-up to 26% to 121% at the 5-year follow-up. There is evidence that a greater initial weight loss using VLCDs with an active follow-up weight-maintenance program, including behavior therapy, nutritional education and exercise, improves weight maintenance.

Conclusions: VLCD with active follow-up treatment seems to be one of the better treatment modalities related to long-term weight-maintenance success."

Hope this is encouraging!

Amy

Thanks for posting it here to Amy;)

x
Trio

My pleasure - hope it helps some of us.

Amy

thanks for that, very interesting, we are doing the right thing:D :D

We are indeed!

Can't wait until tomorrow when I can move my tracker for the first time!

Amy

I found this one also very helpful Amy, if you like reading.

Reports on tasks

for scientific cooperation (SCOOP)

Task 7.3 – Collection of data on products intended

for use in very-low-calorie diets.

Report September 2002

Reports submitted on behalf of the VLCD European Industry Group to the SCOOP working group on very-low calorie diets between 1998 and 2001, consolidated 2001.

by
John Marks MA, MD, FRCP, FRCPath, FRCPsych Life Fellow, Girton College, Cambridge CB3 0JG
and
Jaap Schrijver . Manager Corporate Regulatory Affairs for foods for particular nutritional uses (PARNUTS) - Royal Numico NV

CONTENTS

Preamble

Summary
Conclusions

1.1`The prevalence of excess weight
1.2 Excess weight and morbidity
1.3 Weight increase and mortality
1.4 The economic cost of obesity

SECTION II THE SAFETY OF VERY LOW CALORIE DIETS IN EXPERIMENTAL AND CLINICAL USE

Marks and Schrijver

http://www.lipotrim.co.uk/marks/marksandschrivjer.htm

http://www.foodedsoc.org/vlcdtest2.htm

Last edited:
Thanks. I'd love to read it, but it says, "The GeoCities web site you were trying to view has temporarily exceeded its data transfer limit. Please try again later."

I will try later LOL

Amy

Hi Mini,

I've just read the whole report, and it is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for posting the link!

Amy

Hi Amy
Thanks for that posting, I like to read the science/nutrition aspect of VLCD also my husband LOVES all the data/papers etc. I have been reading the Patrick Holford Nutrition books, the Holford Low GL Diet Cookbook is great for maintenance.
Looks like there are lots like us trawling the internet for info.
This diet is so effective! ;0) Keep the links coming everyone.
Jane

Sadly I can't get to any of the articles, but if anyone has any, I'd be delighted to read them. :)

very interesting thanks

I've got some material with refs on VLCD and incidence of gallbladder problems in women if anyone is interested:)
Me please- it may be relevant to me.;) I'll know later on today hopefully (after a US scan!)

Back