Someone told me grapefruit burns fat

Chef Loz

So having a chat with some folk
at wkend and they say eatng grapefruit burns fat???.

Last edited:
Grapefruit are low in calories, high in Vitamin C, and unless you are taking medication such as statins, good for you. It is possible, but not proven, that eating grapefruit could result in lower insulin and cholesterol levels.

But they don't have any miraculous fat-burning properties and the only study that I could find which claimed that they did aid weight loss was funded by the Florida Department of Citrus.

(Pink grapefruit might be slightly better for you than yellow, because they contain beta-carotene.)

A lot of quick loss diets such as James Duncan etc use grapefruit as one of their main ingredients. It's 'thought' to speed up weightloss, no harm in adding some to a fruit salad. I'd suggest leaving them to ripen as they sweeten up quite a lot

While doing ww over the years quite a few people reported better weight loss after eating a grapefruit before every meal but tbh its prob that they filled themselves up on lower calories food.

I've lost 76 lbs since last august and every day I eat half a tin of strained tinned grapefruit and don't syn it. I think my results speak for themselves!

I've lost 76 lbs since last august and every day I eat half a tin of strained tinned grapefruit and don't syn it. I think my results speak for themselves!

Wow! I might try that! :D haha x Well done! :D

I have 2-3 pink grapefruits every ay, and i'm not losing much weight!
Just think it's like everything else, some people lose weigh quicker than others,
Me and a friend ate exactly the same foods and had the same drinks one week and i lost 1lb, she lost 5lb, just think it depends on the person and their metabalism.

Oh, absolutely, you have to find what works for you. I love the green plan but I actually put weight on with it!

I have 2-3 pink grapefruits every ay, and i'm not losing much weight!
Just think it's like everything else, some people lose weigh quicker than others,
Me and a friend ate exactly the same foods and had the same drinks one week and i lost 1lb, she lost 5lb, just think it depends on the person and their metabalism.

2 - 3 that would play havoc with my tummy ouch , they are super speed though so they can only help :)

Ah!( Those of us old enough) the "Grapefruit and egg diet" Supposedly burnt more calories digesting them than they had in them! All they did was give you terrible wind :eek:

How come you gain weight?

I have PCOS and have to really watch a carby diet as i'm isulin resistant. I lose the most on red but enjoy EE the most and thats fine as long as I dont overdo the refined carbs esp, pasta and rice. I actually gain heaps if I do only green!

Just found this thread...

Grapefruit can be dangerous if you're taking medication, so if you're taking any, please check out if grapefruit interfere's with it. Here's an example list:

Examples of grapefruit-medication interactions

Anti-anxiety
...Buspirone
Anti-arrhythmia
...Amiodarone (Cordarone)
Antidepressant
...Sertraline (Zoloft)
Antihistamine
...Fexofenadine (Allegra)
Anti-retroviral
...Saquinavir (Invirase), indinavir (Crixivan)
Anti-seizure
...Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol)
Calcium channel blocker
...Nifedipine (Procardia), nimodipine (Nimotop), nisoldipine (Sular)
Immunosuppressant
...Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), tacrolimus (Prograf), sirolimus (Rapamune)
Statin
...Simvastatin (Zocor), lovastatin (Mevacor), atorvastatin (Lipitor)

The reason for mentioning this, is that somebody told me about it, and I didn't have a clue....something so simple as a piece of fruit interfering with my medication!

Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

Paula xx

The leaflet that comes with the medication will tell you - trouble is, most people don't bother to read it.

Even though I have been taking the same medication for over ten years now, I still get the leaflets out of the boxes and read them every couple of months or so, just in case anything has changed.

Thanks for that Paula, it actually helped me as one of my meds has changed recently and I haven't got around to reading the leaflet yet. Poo, now I can't have grapefruit or pomelos.

Just found this thread...

Grapefruit can be dangerous if you're taking medication, so if you're taking any, please check out if grapefruit interfere's with it. Here's an example list:

Examples of grapefruit-medication interactions

Anti-anxiety
...Buspirone
Anti-arrhythmia
...Amiodarone (Cordarone)
Antidepressant
...Sertraline (Zoloft)
Antihistamine
...Fexofenadine (Allegra)
Anti-retroviral
...Saquinavir (Invirase), indinavir (Crixivan)
Anti-seizure
...Carbamazepine (Carbatrol, Tegretol)
Calcium channel blocker
...Nifedipine (Procardia), nimodipine (Nimotop), nisoldipine (Sular)
Immunosuppressant
...Cyclosporine (Neoral, Sandimmune), tacrolimus (Prograf), sirolimus (Rapamune)
Statin
...Simvastatin (Zocor), lovastatin (Mevacor), atorvastatin (Lipitor)

The reason for mentioning this, is that somebody told me about it, and I didn't have a clue....something so simple as a piece of fruit interfering with my medication!

Anyway, hope this helps somebody.

Paula xx

Thanks paula
That's crazy I never relies that either thanks for sharing this info!
I'm not on any meds thank goodness
Loz x

Back