Something that really helps you?

CupcakeMummy

Do you have a low calorie snack that really helps you?

Mine has to be diet sodas! Coke Zero, Dr Pepper and Fanta. If I have them it makes any meal, even if it is something a bit boring just seem that much more of a treat!

Oooh I think I might get some of those next time I shop! How many calories are they?

Mines not a snack, it herbs and spices. Garlic, coarse ground black pepper and cayenne pepper. I love my veg but I'm eating a lot of it (200-300g for a meal when nothing else appeals etc) and it would get a bit boring without my spices.

I love Schwartz Cajun seasoning! We have it on sweet potato wedges and it is delicious!

Seasoning is underestimated. I think a lot of overeating isn't just plain greed I think its trying to satiate a taste.
I prefer to mix my own blends up...go to the supermarket, look at the Schwartz jars, take a photo on my mobile of the ingredients then get ordering from my spice supplier...I started because I would use a whole jar of coriander in one go and it was just getting too expensive. Never mixed cajun tho so maybe i'll tackle that next...I used to use the jarred ones on chicken, YUM!

Mine would be Pepsi Max and the vanilla and chocolate Muller lights. Oh, and crab sticks!

Its such a good idea about adding seasonings.....I just wish I could cook properly so I could make my food less bland. I dont have a very good idea of what herbs etc go with what dishes....

I would say a few nuts every now and then keeps me going, or a small square of dark chocolate

Do you have a low calorie snack that really helps you?

Mine has to be diet sodas! Coke Zero, Dr Pepper and Fanta. If I have them it makes any meal, even if it is something a bit boring just seem that much more of a treat!

I'd totally agree! Every now and again I'll go through a phase of having fizzy drinks because they take a while to drink and they do seem like a treat :)

Mine would be egg whites!! They're only 17 cals each! And if I've eaten too much during the day and only have a few calories left for tea, I know I can whisk 4 of these together (70 ish cals) add a can of sliced mushrooms (20 cals) add in some seasoning and make a huuuuuuuuuuge omlette that fills me right up for less than 100 cals!!!!

Umm... I also like satsumas at 25 cals each... they're good because they take a while to eat :)

Oo and if you freeze weight watchers yoghurts they take soooooo much longer to eat than if they were unfrozen, and they're only 50 cals :)

I'm sure there's loooooooads more! :p

Great thread!! :)

Its such a good idea about adding seasonings.....I just wish I could cook properly so I could make my food less bland. I dont have a very good idea of what herbs etc go with what dishes....

I would say a few nuts every now and then keeps me going, or a small square of dark chocolate

Post what youre planning on having and ask for advice on what herbs or spices will liven it up. I'm sure there are plenty of us that can and will help. Also have a look at the recipe section on here, lots of ideas on there.

My staples are garlic, cayenne, coarse black pepper, chives and italian herbs. A plate of green beans IS a meal when tossed in half a tablespoon of olive oil, a pinch of cayenne, black pepper and garlic. I used to add pine nuts but theyre off my menu at the moment :sigh:

Oo and if you freeze weight watchers yoghurts they take soooooo much longer to eat than if they were unfrozen, and they're only 50 cals :)

Good one. I'll try that with my shape zero yoghurts. I accidentally froze a 100cal chocolate mousse recently, left it to partially defrost and oooh it was like chocolate icecream...without the guilt!

I will so be freezing some chocolate mousse!!

And that egg white tip is awesome! I don't like the yolks anyway.

I'm so glad I started the thread now! Keep your tips coming!

Also, chicken and sweetcorn Slim-a-Soups. And a recent discovery - Tesco's sweetcorn relish, lovely crunchy and tangy and only 20-ish calories a tablespoon!

2 big scoops of fat free cool whip ontop a bowl of fat free jello.. you can have a whole bowl and it's only 30 calories ! i limit this though because it gives me too much of a sweet tooth and the cool whip is full of hydrogenated palm oil which is horrible for ya.. but it's OH so yummy !

I love the Options drinks, especially Caramel which is 39 cals, but I can only find that one in Morrisons so I have to buy loads when I go!! I find they really fill you up when you're feeling like something sweet!
Great thread, loads of ideas! Going to buy me some crab sticks!! xx

Its not a snack or food but...

I've found using a knife and fork is really good... for foods that might otherwise have just been slammed between 2 slices of bread. 1, it takes longer to eat and 2, food eaten with cutlery feels more like a meal

@letty. I asked one of my US FB friends recently about coolwhip and she said its like a cross between mayo and salad cream but its sweeter and can be used with savoury or sweet food. I asked because she was having filled potato with navy beans and coolwhip (roughly equates to baked spud, baked beans and mayo)

Back