Somethings not working...

LisaC

Gold Member
I re-joined SW in March & its been a very slow process.It took 5 months to get my first stone award.

The last 4/5 weeks I've mostly sts but last week I put on 1.5 for no reason, if I'm off plan I gain but never when I'm sticking to it. My consultant told me I'm being "too good" & suggested havung more syns each day on top of the 15 I already have.

After my 5.30pm weigh-in I usually have a treat night & its always worked for me but the one time I have a SW meal I gained that 1.5 the following week so I wondered if that was the cause. This week just gone I had a my treat night (I didn't go crazy as I was upset from gaining), I varied my meals, wrote a food diary, had my 15 syns per day & also varied my exercise but last night I gained another 1lb.

I couldn't stay for class & I'm waiting to hear from my consultant but I wondered if anyone else has been in a similar situation & has any advice. I can't understand how I'm giving 100% & doing it by the book but all of a sudden gaining for no reason what so ever. Any advice??

Not really sure what to say Lisa other than maybe relax? I know I've seen it when people are too strict and when they relax a bit they start to lose.
Just didn't want to read and run hun, hopefully your consultant will be able to offer some advice to you.

Thanks Jaylou, I think my consultant originally thought I was skipping my syns which would be the answer but I think it worries me that when I stick to it perfectly I gain (only recently of course) so I could gain even more if I let myself go x

I think see if theres something on your food diary that could show something. Have you tried doing success express? I know a lot of the girls in my group, occasionally do it if they feel they're sticking 100% to the plan and then occasionally gaining.

One of my friends who goes to a different group than me was convinced she was being 100% and then when she thought about it and went through her food diary with a fine tooth comb - then she realised that really she had eaten an additional 89 syns throughout the week because some of the things she was SURE were free, werent x

Thank Delleh, yes I've gone throught my diaries in detail and they're fine which is why its so confusing!

I don't know anything about Success Express!? I do EE which I find really good, I'm also vegetarian so I don't know if I'd be able to do SE!?

Can I ask how your portion sizes of free foods to superfree foods are like. It may just be that now you are smaller you can't get away with the portions sizes of free foods in the way that you used to. Success express would be a great way of testing this because two thirds of your plate would have to be superfree while the remaining third could be free or synned foods. It doesn't matter if you are vegetarian as you would just have green free foods - you don't need to have meat and fish.

Hi Circes I always make sure its even with the 1/3 superfree to 2/3 free. If I have breakfast or something & can't include fruit in it I'll make sure I eat enough after. To be honest Ive lost a stone & noticed no difference with being smaller or clothes being loser. I did wonder if I eat too much free food (including yogurts to snack...) but I know you can't eat too much free food.

Do you do a lot of exercise? I'm pretty sure muscle weighs more than fat so you might not be losing weight but you'd still be getting smaller. It might be worth taking your measurements and seeing if you notice a difference there?

You could also start a food diary on here, I guess then it'd be easier to see what's going wrong, if anything.

Good luck either way. Even if you personally can't see the difference, 15lbs is a lot to lose so you should be proud of what you've accomplished so far :)

Emily

I dont believe the "you cant eat too much free food" bit. Fat free yoghurts are free but if you ate 15 a day you wouldnt lose weight. People with loads to lose can probably get away with eating loads of free food but you dont look like you have a massive amount to lose?

To me theres "free food" and theres "free food" meaning snacking on carrot sticks will result in a much better weight loss than snaking on Muller Lights.

A girl in my class was astounded at her 4lb weight loss last week but said when she looked back over the weeks food she'd had loads of superspeed ones (unintentionally) and she thinks that was what helped her

Another thing would be to get your thyroid checked as an underactive one can make a huge difference when losing weight

Not meaning to sound blunt but I'm not very good at coming across how I like using the written word.

Hope you get something sorted as its a pain when you feel lilke you're being so good and not getting the results you want

Thanks ladies!

My weight doesn't really match my size, when I started I had around 3.5 stone to lose so I'm not anywhere near target or anything.

I do the silver body magic so that only 90 mins exercise a week, my consultant told me if you lose 1lb of fat but gain 1lb of muscle you'd obviously stay the same but to gain from exercise you'd need to do a crazy amount, so that can't be it with me.

I won't eat unless I'm hungry, I'll snack on the Onken yogurts & shape but mostly fruit & I eat a lot of Superspeed foods, usually a punnet of raspberries & strawberries a day, and even that doesn't seem to be helping...

Do you do a lot of exercise? I'm pretty sure muscle weighs more than fat so you might not be losing weight but you'd still be getting smaller. It might be worth taking your measurements and seeing if you notice a difference there?

No no no. Sorry. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound.

Lots of exercise will not make you gain weight. There may be a temporary gain of fluid for a couple of weeks but you would have to be seriously weight training to gain weight from exercising.
Sorry, I don't mean to be dismissive to the previous poster but this is such a misquoted fact that it rattles me! :eek:

What do you snack on Lisa? Do you snack only on superfree? I try to only ever snack on fruit (usually grab a banana if I'm hungry between meals) and I do try to have lots of superfree with my meals too.

Have you tried the superspeed and speed food challenge? Try to eat 50 speed or superspeed foods in a week, it's a tough call but can result in a fab weight loss. It makes you get the book out and look for those symbols and change how you have your meals - so for me it meant less bananas and grapes and more oranges and apples and less beef and more chicken (I know you are veggie) so try lentils, baked beans, mushy peas.....

Lots to go at hun. xx

Lots of exercise will not make you gain weight. There may be a temporary gain of fluid for a couple of weeks but you would have to be seriously weight training to gain weight from exercising.

Jaylou I have a text from my consultant saying "you'd have to do lots of exercise to gain weight"....is that not right then? I know I don't do lots of exercise but I'd at least like to rule that out as the problem for me.

I snack on fruit mostly, I can't eat raspberries & bananas without yogurt on so that also gets included in my daily snacks. I know grapes aren't S or SS but I often eat a punnet a day & they seem to work pretty well for me... I like the idea of the SS challenge but not sure I'll have the pennies as its all so expensive right now x

I like the sound of the Superspeed/speed food challenge, gosh I bet its hard too!
With me, I hardly eat my Healthy A's due to being borderline lactose intolerant. Some days I'm ok, others im not. So I try and eat food with lots of Calcium, and checking stuff in the book really helps! x

I assume what LuhLuhLoser meant was a pound of fat has a bigger mass than a pound of muscle so you can stay the same weight but be smaller. Muscle weighs more than fat for the same size piece obviously not for the same weight piece - as you say "a pound is a pound"

Your consultant is agreeing with me hun, you have to do a lot of exercise to gain weight from it.

If you eat a punnet of grapes a day you could try missing them out and having something else?

Not all S and SS foods are expensive, lentils and beans are cheap, carrots are always a good one and they are cheap!
I buy frozen berries at this time of the year, they are great with some FF natural yoghurt on them.

Just give it a try, I didn't manage 50 s&ss foods but I got pretty close!

I've just got into the bags of prepared carrot batons. So easy to eat. Am going to make a dip with quark, cottage cheese and garlic if I dont eat all the carrots while sitting here!!!

I think thats a good idea, when I opt for S & SS its always fruit,
I think because I only cook for one I find it harder to try different meals with different things (i.e. a lentil curry or something where it makes a big meal) but I guess this could be a good time to try!

If you make something big just make sure its freezable then there'll be nights when you can stay out of the kitchen

Grapes have a lot of calories compared to other fruits and are SO easy to eat a lot of. I cant walk past a punnet without eating them so always put mine in the fridge

Lisa, I found one of the things easiest for me to eat quite a bit of was stir fry.
Even the cheap 50p bags (better if eating on same day) from Asda! Only contains cabbage, Bamboo shoots and carrots, all are S foods! :) combine that with Quorn or something and you've a filling meal!!! (Ive only just now liking stirfry) but you could always add in mushrooms and mangetout also and even whole baby sweetcorn, and thats another 3 S-foods and no fruit ;) x

Lisa, I found one of the things easiest for me to eat quite a bit of was stir fry.
Even the cheap 50p bags (better if eating on same day) from Asda! Only contains cabbage, Bamboo shoots and carrots, all are S foods! :) combine that with Quorn or something and you've a filling meal!!! (Ive only just now liking stirfry) but you could always add in mushrooms and mangetout also and even whole baby sweetcorn, and thats another 3 S-foods and no fruit ;) x

Think these are exactly the ideas I need, thank you :) x

Back