Sophie's Slimming World and Cinema critiques!

Good luck for WI in the morning and that -20 ;)

I can totally see why you didn't like the Host. I fully expected my friend to say it was super boring. But, embarrassingly, I really liked the book :eek:

Tis a shame no one seems to like Jack as it seemed to have promise from the trailers.

Sounds like you've had a good day today :) x

Good luck with the WI =)

I was really disappointed with the host. I loved the book but they missed out huge chunks of it. I was interested to see how they did all the stuff about wandas past, they didn't even mention it. And mel and wandas relationship was too confusing. My friend who hadn't read the book said 'why is she suddenly saying she loves her and they're like sisters?'. The book was 600+ pages but they still could have done a better job.

I liked Jack the giant slayer. I love films like that.

Hey Gizmo- interesting that you say that as Cheekychinchilla said she thought they missed huge chunks too. I'd have loved to see more about Wanda's past! And yeah, the relationship was confusing- I wasn't sure why she'd get so angry about Wanda kissing her love when really it was like securing the fact that he still wanted her even if it was through someone else? And that he was now on her side again? I don't know, seemed weird.

So, drum roll, WI this morning... -1! FFS. So I'm back to my pre-period weight TWO WEEKS AGO. So no loss in 2 weeks basically :mad:
Oh well, roll on Monday. I've been so friggin' good as well :/ I see so many people on here go off the rails and have huge binges and then lose- and I've not once had more than my weekly syns amount so what's with this fortnight?!
To be fair (way TMI coming up, look away now) I haven't poo'd properly since the weekend- I squeeze a tiny bit out after the Chinese on Monday but barely anything, so it sort of feels like there must be a lot sitting in my stomach :S I might get some laxatives.

Good news is that the Jewellery photoshoot pics have gone down really well with the client and it sounds like she's going to buy a lot of edits- kaching! Good thing too as I'm getting low on dinero...!

Good luck with the WI =)

I was really disappointed with the host. I loved the book but they missed out huge chunks of it. I was interested to see how they did all the stuff about wandas past, they didn't even mention it. And mel and wandas relationship was too confusing. My friend who hadn't read the book said 'why is she suddenly saying she loves her and they're like sisters?'. The book was 600+ pages but they still could have done a better job.

I liked Jack the giant slayer. I love films like that.

Yeah they missed out most of the important bits really lol! It's like they felt they could only fit in the basic story. Maybe if they had of pushed it to a 3hr (not exactly unusual now) film they may have been able to go in and out of the story more. I agree with Tetris that the love story bits appeared to be "I've only just met you, but I love you" in the film, but it's actually quite complicated in the book. I really enjoyed the book and I think they did well with the film considering the 2hr time limit. But I was disappointed with the lack of some important bits. And you know, her 'cell' really annoyed me as they didn't even attempt to make it the same as the book :p
It's almost like the film peeps relied on you having read the book to understand the film. Maybe? I did like it though and I'll buy it when it's cheap ;)

I don't care what you say. You're getting a :bunnydance: for the 1lb loss. So there :p

Oh I hate reading about the bingers who then lose like 5lb in a week! Sometimes if I've had a meal out or a day off I'll be lucky and get a sts, but never a big loss. Sometimes though a day or so off plan does confuse your metabolism and gives it a bit of a boost. Like I put on all that (probably not true weight) weight while I was on holiday, and now it's nearly gone. And seen as I moan about it so much, you know I'm a slow loser. Sometimes you just can't guess how the weightloss will go. And our bodies have their own stuff going on that we can't control too. I always wish I'd have tried to keep a track of inches lost, esp when my actual weight loss slowed. That could be something you could do to keep you motivated if you have a sts or a slow loss week :)

Oh I know all about the not poo'ing dilemma. You KNOW it's all sitting in there and come WI time there's nothing you can do. How about some extra fruit or extra water/squash/peppermint tea to help things moving? Getting yourself moving often helps too if you feel up to it :)

Excellent news about the jewelery shoot :D xx

Thanks for the film reviews Tetris - always interested to read them.

Sorry you're disappointed with your small weight loss but stay positive - I'm sure it will work in your favour eventually (the sticking to plan thing I mean). Being a bit bunged up is bound to have a negative effect I would have thought. It would be better if you could "get going" so to speak naturally but a herbal laxative might help. I remember being told by a doctor once that it's okay to go up to a week without a bowel movement but that must be soooo uncomfortable! Good luck anyway.

Great news re the photo shoot.

Had another Red day today- yay! But did eat some naughty nosh at my dad's house! They'd just gotten back from a hol and my sisters had easter nests/eggs everywhere and omg I kept picking at bits! NAUGHTY.

Our toilet is blocked now. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT?! I haven't been to the friggin loo all week and it's somehow blocked! What's worse, the rabbit pellet I managed to squeeze out earlier is just floating around constantly now. No idea how it's happened but it seems our terrible bathroom 'up-dooers' this summer must have thrown out the plunger too so we're a bit screwed at the moment. Actually feel like I probably could go, as well, but am not going to try now! Will have to get a plunger tomorrow or some mr muscle or something.

Today at dad's we brought our cameras to do some underwater filming with my sisters in their pool. I have a little go pro camera with underwater housing, so wanted to play around with that and get some shots in my showreel- but not sure any of the underwater stuff will look any good as it was so bloomin' hard to stay underwater deep/still to get a good shot of my sister on the surface... Really wanted to do a cool silhouettey thing but... Not sure it worked! But anyway, it was fun and I got a good work out diving about in the pool for 3 hours. We set up one of my film lights in the neighbouring play room that has a window into the pool room- and managed to crack the window because of the heat of it :/ eek! Was really awkward telling dad but luckily he was tipsy while watching the game with a couple of pints so he took it well :p think we got some good stuff on the surface with our non waterproof cams though! Tis transfering now so, we'll see.

Am booked as of today to go out to Dubai again for a shoot next week (well, actually it's Abu Dhabi this time which is cool because I've never been there and hear it's really trendy! Not that I get to do ANYTHING but work...) but that means a lot of stress out there and it's really hard to stick to SW as they kinda throw food at you on the shoot and you get what you're given. Also on the plane it's hard to bring healthy stuff as they won't let you through security with fruit and stuff- grr. Last time I went (a few times over xmas when I was 1 week into SW and totally overwhelmed by it) I brought a load of things with me like savory rice, mugshots, porridge pouches etc and that helped for breakfasts/hotel room meals (rather than the greasy stuff they have on the room service menus) but on the shoots (shooting events/weddings) we have about a 3 minute break to eat and have to have whatever is availible. I'll try to find a place to get fruit when we arrive but usually we land late and shoot as soon as we wake up. Anyway- long story short, it'll be a few days semi-off plan. I'll stick to plan as much as possible but it really isn't easy.

I'm stressed just thinking about the shoots, let alone thinking about working SW into it. It's always the same out there: 8 hr flight, landing late (2/3am), get to bed at 4am, wake up at noon, leave for shoot at 1pm, hour setting up, ten hours shooting, hour packing up, half an hour to get back, usually get to bed at 5am, wake up at noon- same hours for shooting again- get to bed at 5am, wake up at 10am, straight to airport, 8hr flight home, 2 hours of airport/transfer **** home, curl up and die for a few days. It's horrible! But it's decently paid and I need the money! It's also stressful actually on the shoots because there's a lot going on and the timings for things ALWAYS change at Arabic weddings so usually you're trying to shoot while think about what might be happening somewhere else. Something always goes wrong/gets missed and the brides are always total divas. It's... Friggin' stressy. As soon as I said yes I felt a sickness in my stomach that I know from experience wont leave until it's over. Luckily- as it's such a fast paced trip with so much going on- it passes really fast and I know it'll be over soon enough! But yeah, off on Tuesday and back late on Thurs so hopefully my decent number kicks in for Monday :( am used to two bad weeks, two good weeks with WI's so hope being away doesn't sabotage my good week after this past crappy two!! I'll be on my feet a lot so hopefully that'll balance things, though sometimes these events have buffets and I stuff myself as I'm starving from odd eating hours/physical working! :p

RED today:
_______

B: 1.5 mangos (8 huge beautiful ripe mangos for £2 at the market- they're so nice! And the pips are tiny!) yoghurt, banana
L: Reaaaally nice rump steaks (they were a bit spesh- not in the 3 for £10 deal for once!!) which I marinated in soy sauce, worchester sauce, balsamic vinegar, mustard and garlic for 4 hours- veeery yummy!! Also caramelised onions in the remaining marinade and had it with a bed of spinach leaves and a splodge of instant mash (3 syns worth on Red) and used hexB Olive Oil to fry the steaks.

D: Didn't have dinner but ate two bananas, two yoghurts, 1/2 HexB2 Alpen Light bar, 1/3 easter egg (8 syns), 3 maoam balls, 4 jelly beans, another small chewy sweet thing, blah blah... probably 4 syns worth? I couldn't help it... It was just there... I'm SO glad I don't live in a house where this stuff is just there- it was EVERYWHERE! G hides all his stuff high up in a cupboard I don't have any reason to go in, so it's safe from me and I never miss it :p

Syns: 15
Saved: 5 (though probably less *sigh* maybe I'm not giving enough syns for these sweets...)
_______

Anyway- I feel good for having had another Red day! I really want a green day now but I've got two packets of chicken to use up by tomorrow :S so guess I'll be doing another Red day!! Shouldn't be too hard as there's lots of nice fruit and veg from the market stall around and all that chicken too of course :) but dang I want pasta/potato pancake sooooon. Maybe Sunday :p
x

Just made a really yummy chicken dish, kinda improvised it after looking at some basic marinade recipe's online but thought I'd write it down so I can look back at this and make it again!
I made the marinade with dark soy sauce, Worcester sauce, white wine vinegar, a slather of BBQ sauce from the fridge, then squeezed half an orange that was leftover from breakfast (was quite bitter) over the lot and let it soak for half an hour with sliced fresh pineapple on top. Then I grilled it for 20 minutes (left the chicken breast whole, didn't dice it) in the halogen glass oven thingy and topped it with caramelised onions (with some honey) and green peppers. The grilled pineapple was what really did it though- it made each bite so sweet and so tasty! I refuse to syn it as cooked fruit though... It wasn't a desert and there wasn't much of it. I don't like the fact that you have to syn cooked fruit when it's still whole and a savory dish :S what? OK, syn blended/pureed fruit or baked fruit in a desert, but not like this! Anyway :p about 5 syns of honey and maybe 3 syns of BBQ sauce for the whole 4 portions, so 2 syns per portion :) yay.

Grilled pineapple would have been another 6 syns or so for the 4 portions, but am not counting that. Don't like that rule! Same with when I make sweet potato pancakes for breakfast sometimes (or, used to!) and I'd chop a banana into the pan with it- I would have otherwise eaten the banana cold and chopped in, so what difference if it's slightly caramelised (without additional sugars) and chopped in? Think this should be a loophole. No baking it for deserts or blending for sauces/smoothies but adding it whole and cooked to a meal you'd otherwise just have it cold in (with less enjoyment) shouldn't add syns!
K, rant over :p

Toilet is unblocked- phew! G looked up online how to do it and ended up pouring some washing up powder and a kettle of hot water down it, sorted it out! Way cheaper than mr muscle at a fiver a bottle!

Still haven't 'been' though, all week. Sigh.

Red again today, can't believe I've had 3 days without pasta :p WHAT!?
______
B: Mango, banana, FF nat yoghurt
L: Chicken thingy mentioned above^ 2 syns for marinade/honey in caramelised onions, with green peppers and spinach.
D: Lunch leftovers (2 syns)
S: SF Jelly (.5 syn) went for a double bill at the cinema where I ate: 3 bananas (!!), 2 activia (one at home), a muller light (they're on offer at Morrisons- 10 for £3!) 2x Alpen light bars (HexB1), 1 x Chewy D (HexB2) and a packet of skips (4 syns- contrary to what a quick online search came up with (5 syns) as the packet says 82kcal a bag!)
Drinks: HexA1 choc oatly milk, 2 x mint green tea, 2L NAS squash at cinema

Syns total: 9.5
Saved: 10.5
______

I don't plan on using saved syns because of those sweets I probably miss-synned yesterday, but they're there just in case. To me it feels more of an acheivement to have done so many red days than to have had less syns :p

Stocked up on some HexB stuff for Abu Dhabi trip as cereal bars and instant porridge are really handy out there. I'll try and stay low syn but will be having more Hex's than normal as I'd rather eat a porridge breakfast and cereal bar snacks later when hungry than having dodgy stuff I'm offered there. Usually we get in late from the flight and sleep late because of jet lag which means we miss breakfast- the first time I went out there I had to have a hamburger for breakfast as there was a really limited menu on offer at an american diner style place within the hotel- yuck! So yeah, extra Hex's will be better!

Also (brace yourselves...) I managed a bowel movement today- huzzah! Hopefully a few more to clear out the rest of the week's stuff too before Monday WI.

Cinema Crit: Scary Movie 5 - 6/10

I mean- I laughed, and it was funny at parts, but it was sloppy and just a bit blah. Scary Movie 3 is one of my all time fave comedies- it's comedy gold! So many genius lines and moments! But the others all sort of lack the polished awesomeness of number 3, and this one (number 5) was probably one of the weaker ones of the set.
It interestingly was spoofing some seriously recent horror films though! Evil dead (which isn't even out yet!) Mama (was out last month?) and one of the more recent Paranormal Activity films which I haven't seen. It also had some Inception parts (with an uncanny Leo lookalike) and a fair bit of Black Swan spoofing which was quite fun at parts!
A bit of a let down that Anna Farris wasn't in it- I LOVE her. It followed the guy from Scary Movie 3 (can't remember if he's in 4 or not- can't remember much about number 4!) who she marries at the end- but in this film he has a new wife :S Ashley Tisdale from High School Musical (the b*tchy blonde one) huh... Also stars Charlie Sheen and Lindsay Lohan for a cameo scene at the start, but sadly they're not in the rest of the film :( but it's great how they take the piss out of Lohan- her drink driving etc, she obviously has a great sense of humour about it :D Snoop Dogg is in it too (and credited as 'Snoop Dogg'- didn't he officially change it to 'Snoop Lion' recently? :S)
But yeah- it's worth a watch if you like a silly giggle but it's nothing on number 3 and generally nothing special. Sort of seems like the writers were stoned for the writing of all of the movies but for number 3 they edited the script sober, so it worked so much better :p just a theory!

Cinema Crit: Spring Breakers - 8/10

So glad I saw this- it was pretty good! If you like James Franco and get a thrill from watching Disney stars rebel in the raunchiest ways, def go see this. But aside from that- it's actually a pretty good film! Very artily shot, indie vibe, all handheld and whatnot, pretty colours, a sh*t ton of nudity (all female, of course) and one of those 'coming of age' films following hot skinny girls who take loads of drugs and live the life we all wish we had at school as that trendy skinny gorgeous girl with big boobs. Ahem.
It's a story about some rebellious girls who end up robbing money to go on a spring break in Florida and pretty much do every illegal act in the book while out there. James Franco was fab! The girls were a bit rough around the edges at parts with the acting but Vanessa Hudgens was far from her High School Musical part and they were all very visually pleasing. I'm not going to go into spoiler details with the plot but it's an interesting one- has some rather surreal moments and is quite unexpected at parts, I also was left feeling quite uncomfortable at a particular part where they were playing with guns- it kept me on the edge of my seat! I sort of thought from the trailers that they were being kidnapped by James Franco or something. It was decently written, had a decent (slight weird) ending, and will no doubt inspire a lot of young girls to lead a life of sex and crime. Yay! I do recommend it though, if you like dark teen stories about drugs and crime and being super hot. I do!
______

x

Super well done on the red days! I seriously think red is how I lose the most weight but I find I don't really eat enough so that's probably why. Lol. I find I tend to be more hungry the next day, so 3 in a row really is impressive!!

Im sure you'll be fine out there, you seem like your head is in such a good place that there's no way you'll fall off the wagon. Ok you might not be sticking to plan 100%, but your not ignoring it completely either, you're already making good choices. This is what SW is really about. Real life and making the best choices we can to be healthier.
And yay on the poo! I'm normally pretty regular, so really feel for u, if I'm stuffed up for just a few days I get bloated, hope your not too bad. Maybe some fresh berries to help its on its way?
Xx

Thanks Em! I agree about Red days... Unless there is a lot of meat in the fridge I find them hard, and I never feel as satisfied as green/EE. I seem to get hungrier quicker, whixh is funny because I swear one of the down.side with carbs is that the energy burns up fast and makes you hungry later? But I get that more when I dont eat them! Someone enlighten me on this as I probably have it wrong...
Tummy aches a bit this morning and have been embarassingly gassy, hoping tgis hurries up and sorts itself out. I used to go daily before slimming world! I've eaten a fair amount of berries this week and plenty of fruit and veg! Maybe I need some prunes...

Green day today! Oh how I've missed green days, def having another one tomorrow (but hoping that those red days help on Monday!)
____

B: Banana, strawberries and a plum diced into nat FF yoghurt with Splenda and some 'sweet freedom' syrup (1 syn for 2tsp) not sure what I think of that stuff.

L: Potato pancake :D (onion, potato, carrot and an egg in HexB olive oil) with stock cube boiled pasta, HexA1 cheese (kerry low low- 42g, is that right?) and ketchup (2)

D: HexB plain oats so simple porridge with more of that sweet freedom stuff (1) and a banana chopped in.

Snacks: Big juicy mango, packet of skips (4), muller light

Drinks: 1L squash, 2x Green tea with splenda (autocorrect wants that to say 'spleen'? No, autocorrect, I didn't have spleen with my tea!)

Syns total: 8
____

I wanted to try an Oats So Simple pouch with kettle water instead of milk in the microwave, as I'm not sure if we'll have a microwave in the room in Abu Dhabi and the porridge pots are too bulky/fragile to pack really. It wasn't bad- obvs less creamy but I diced a banana in and it was edible. A bit too much of that sweet freedom stuff but I squirted some in then wanted to check how much a tsp of it actually looked like so put an extra teaspoon of it in, lol. Tw*t. But yeah- it wasn't bad so will pack a few of them and if we're in a hotel room rather than hotel apartment then I can just use the kettle and have a quick breakfast fix. Might even take one on the plane as it'll be better than eating the scones and cream they bring around at teat time, eek. I caved to them last time, even while on SW (over December) as it's bloody hard to resist nibbles on an 8hr flight where you have no fridge to turn to.

I picked up some Ainsley Harriet couscous sachets too which were a life saver last time and can be made with just the kettle. Can you make plain couscous (as in regular packet stuff) with just kettle water too? Instructions say to boil it for 5 mins but if the sachet stuff is instant then...? Unless it is par-cooked already in the sachet?

I want to bring some splenda with me but I'm worried if I put some in a plastic bag (as the box is too big to pack) it'll look like drugs- LOL. I can't imagine it would be great to crush a splenda pill form into porridge though, but probably easier than getting held up for what looks like drugs at customs, rofl.

x

I'm very tired and need to go to bed. So, congrats on those red days. Hallelujah on the poo ;) And YAY for green days!!

The extra 'syrup' stuff made me laugh. What are you like?! I've switched to maple syrup recently coz it's half the syns of honey and normal syrups. I've been buying Clark's from Sainsbury's which seems to sell itself as healthy. Tis a bit thin, but a lovely flavour.

Could you take a teeny little tub of Splenda? Would that look less suspicious? lol.xx

Haha, I know- I'm terrible :p that syrup isnt as nice as maple or honey. Maple syrup is way expensive for nice stuff though and honey is £1 a jar if you get the 'economy' stuff that tastes identical to the proper stuff... We get through so much honey! I dont mind using more syns on honey really as I always have syns left over each week anyway.
Do they do small tubs of splenda? Have only seen big bulky ones :( think it would crush open in the bag lol.
Will see how much space I have- depends on what case I take as usually I fill a tesco bag with sw snacks/food but if I take a hand luggage sized case that's like half my space! But the other option is a mahooosive case and I dont know if I have to take it on public transport to airport or not, yet. Lol first world problems.

IMG_0269.JPG

Just made this^ so yummy! Fruit crunch riveta (2 = 1HexB) topped with Fluff (1 syn worth) a banana and two strawberries with a tiiiiny bit of maple syrup on top (.5). I thought it would be one of those things that looked way nicer than it tasted but it was really yummy- the rivita has chewy bits in it and the fluff glued it all together really well. Def going to have this as a treat more often. The banana was actually nicer than the strawberries (bit sour) but they look nice :p I had a 4th one so that constitutes to both of my hexB's.

Green today:
_____

B: Yoghurt with lots of fruit
L: A side salad of lettuce, cucumber and tomato (ate it first) followed by spaghetti with sweetcorn, Hexa1 kerry low low cheese (40g for low fat cheese apparently) and salad cream light (1).
Snack: Rivita + fruit as above^ (hexB1+2) (2 syns)
D: pasta again (oops) with onions and peppers (and honey +1) hexA2 cheese

Total syns: 4
_____

Have been really hungry today! Trying to stay low syn today and tomorrow to make up for the extra syns I'll be having while away. I won't be counting and probs wont have time to write down all the nibbles I have at the shoots but will trrrryyyyy to be good. WI tomorrow morning, PLEASE be a decent loss to make up for the past couple of weeks! Still feel constipated though :/

Last edited:
I'm basically thinking of anything I can have fluff with :D it is less synfull than maple syrup even...we've run out now though :O

Had pasta for lunch and dinner, naughty lazy Sophie.

Great idea Em! I do actually have some sachets in my camera bag that I nicked from 'spoons! Oh but they're pill form too... Do costa do granulated ones? Will pop into a few places today and have a look :p I do have a little despenser of splenda pills.

Slept SO bafly ladt night. My thoughts were whirring for hours. We turned the lights out at 12.50, chatted for maybe 20 mins and at 3am I was still awake :( couldnt get comfortable or relax! Didnt help that G was slightly too much on my side so I couldnt getin my usual weird twisty sleep position, but even after I had shoved him out of the way I couldnt sleep for ages :( I even came on minimims for.a.bit and commented on some diaries/read some NSVs to get Abu Dhabi stuff out of my head, am so stressed after the last feedback session being full of comments on things that werent great- even stupid things like me not partaking in the social stuff with the crew- how if the girls want to go to the beach at sunrise after a shoot I should go with them to bond as it improves how we film the events together. What?! Aftwr working for 12 hours non stop when jetlagged I do NOT want to go to the beach for an hour at 5.30am when I have to do the same crazy shooting hours the next day! :/
Anyway, the company didnt really clue me up on how they wanted me to shoot and it turns out I'd been being a bit too creative rather playing it safe- but they didnt tell me until after 8 shoots! So now I feel self conscious that they keep reminding me things because they dont have confidence in me. Today I need to go all the way into town takes over an hr) for another prep chat and no doubt they'll repeat things and make me feel crap again. I take criticism terribly, am not used to it. Anyway- usually there are two or three of us filming and I can somewhat rely on the other(s) but the first shoot out there will be a half day on my own, which is stressing me and them out.

Cat woke me up at 11, could easily have gone back to sleep but have to be up at 9ish tonorroe to get ready and head to airport so thought maybe if I wake up a bit earlier I can sleep a bit earlier... But I dont think it works like that with me! Will def take some nytol tonight though. Sigh. Stressss.

Back