Sophie's Slimming World and Cinema critiques!

I totally get what you mean in the above post! I sometimes tweak and allow myself thing and rationalise it by saying its less or similar calories to something free, everything in moderation and all that as I know slimming world is all about the healthiness of the food rather than the calories but sometimes it makes more sense to have less calories but the thing you really want! x

Well done on the 2lbs off! I definitely think the high/low days thing is working for me too going on the last couple of weeks losses. It's great really as I no longer feel guilty when I go out for a meal or something, I just class it as a higher day and get on with things as normal. It'll be interesting to see if I get in a rhythm with losses like you have. My big 5.5lb loss last week was the week after * week, so will have to see whether a pattern starts to emerge...

I'm growing increasingly sceptical of SW too. Don't get me wrong I love the plan because it works, but they seriously need to rethink the concept of 'free' food. You can't eat unlimited pasta and lose weight, end of, so why do they market the plan as if you can? When I first joined they were really plugging the fact you can 'eat as many slimming world chips as you want' thing and it sounded more like man v's food than a diet programme! I guess as long as you use common sense it's okay, but they shouldn't make out you can gorge like a glutton on the plan. Sometimes when i talk to people about slimming world they mention how it doesnt work because you can eat as much chicken/pasta as you like and how that's completely ridiculous, and tbh I'm inclined to agree with them if anyone actually takes the 'free' food thing too literally! I guess it's primarily a marketing concept aimed at luring people in with the fact they won't be deprived, but the whole syns/free food thing doesn't add up at all sometimes.

Yeah I totally agree!
The thing is... When people join who have been eating a full large dominoes as a standard meal, if they are having 2000 cal of 'free' food like pasta it is still an improvement so they still lose! But then by week 3 they are wondering why it doesnt work anymore... :rolleyes:
I wish there was more of a free food warning in the books is all! They should stress more the 'only eat until full' rule! It takes more common sense than a lot of obese people may shrug off to satiate their food habits, I guess!

Man, sweet cravigs were running riot today! Had about 12 syns of sweet/chocolatey things and then made a sort of milkshake with this blue diamond almond milk (can have somethig like 800ml as a hexA as it is so low cal!) added a teaspoon of splenda and some cinnamon and shook it in the 1/4 full carton so that it went a bit foamy- quite nice!!

I really need to sort my sleeping pattern out! I go to bed at 5am, wake up mid afternoon, have lunch at dinner time thinking I wont want dinner as it is so late but he of course am up late so want a meal later and end up snacking instead! Doh!

Filming a quick pick up tomorrow eve to add onto the previous edit I was doing. Spent today writing and researching... And eating! Gah. Bad girl!

More losses?! :eek: Lol! Super well done mate :D

I think you're right about looking at SW and what you're doing is proper Food Optimising I think, probably what SW actually want people to do. What you've said makes complete sense. I think I've said it before but if I'm hungry in the evening I would rather spend syns on something than use a free food like MugShots or Supernoodles, etc... I do sometimes have yogurt, but usually with fruit or a HexB and make it a bit of a dessert. But I usually only have one yogurt a day, and never go nuts and have like 5 as I've seen on some people's diaries.
It's totally about common sense. Some days I think we all 'tweak' things and may save syns by having a free food we maybe shouldn't, but I think it is about being sensible and looking at your food better. Think you've got a really good handle on it, I really do. And your fantastic losses prove that!
You're also right that denying yourself things to get quicker losses is just setting yourself up for a fall. Think you're doing really, really well :) An absolute inspiration! xx

Thanks dude, so sweet :D
I love this forum, I really think I have learnt so much about weight loss from you guys on here...!

Shooting sucked today, man I hate this client! It was just a few add on shots to the art video I've been making... But yeah, really cant stand the woman, she is so rude sometimes without even knowing it! Also wanted to credit herself as director on the video when I directed it! What?!

Shots were of her exhibition for the end of the video, a bunch of people who were there had seen the video and were all super complimentary which was nice, they all asked for my card etc.

Had bolognase with lettuce before I left (4ish) but might treat myself to some rice later or something... Not really sure what I want but feel hunger looming now. Might even get a take away! Feel so crap from being around this woman that I want a treat to perk me up lol :rolleyes:

Just heard that Lostprophets frontman Ian Watkins pleaded guilty in his court case about multiple pedophillia accounts :| holy crap. I hugged that man once! Kinda devastating...

Last edited:
I havent read much about it just heard from a friend but I really cant believe it...! He always did seem like a creep and he was really aresy when we met him. :( cant believe someone who fronts a band with a cult teen following could do this! So many fans must be heartbroken and horrified...

Decided to order a nice Chinese :D it's on its way. Getting grilled dumplings and splitting a sweet and sour chicken and special fried rice with G whonis having crispy lamb pancakes- I might have to have one in exchange for half the s&s! :rolleyes: but I know that they are like the worst syn wise!! I just love hoi syn (lol ;)) sauce!

I need to stop reading your diary cos it always makes me hungry!!

I read your comments about SW and the 'free' food thing with interest. I have thought the same in the past, which is probably why I was slightly reluctant at first but I think, and I am being blunt here, the people most likely to take advantage of the system/plan are those who perhaps aren't really interested in committing or changing their habits. I appreciate we all mis-calculate, cheat a bit with syns and have bad days/weeks/months etc but if you are genuinely food optimising and having your Hex's then surely you wouldn't need to have mugshots and/or 3 mullers? I guess it's about taking some time to understand what SW is trying to achieve, how it works and how it differs to your old habits?

I read the news report after someone mentioning it on Twitter. It's pretty shocking stuff!! Hope he burns in hell! And the women who offered him up their children. Their own children!!! :mad:

Your Chinese sounds good. I miss sweet and sour chicken. Quorn's nice, but doesn't cut it as a chicken replacement in that lol! I used to go to a Chinese buffet place with my Mum at least once a month. God I miss them LOL! Oh and duck pancakes.... holy crap :drool::worthy: And mini spring rolls I can eat till they come out of my ears ;) If my Mum went without me she'd sneak me some spring rolls back. Oh yeah!!

Just been having a nosey at the Harvester menu. I've still not tried it but would like to go and check it out. Would be quite happy with a side of chips or garlic bread and the salad - the veggie mains don't look that great any way. But the salad bar looks awesome ;) Might convince Mum and some friends to go as a "Yay I'm going back to work" meal ;)

Well done on your latest loss! You are on such a roll.

Re-free foods that were discussed before, I couldn't agree more with everyone's comments. I think SW need to educate people more to chose super free as snacks rather than muller lights/mugshots. I know SW has the big rule about cooked/blended fruits but I wonder how much difference a fresh fruit smoothie made with ff yog or HXa milk would make to weight loss compared with a mugshot or 5 mullers?!?

That's a really good point Summer! We have to count cooked/blended fruit as 1 syn per 20 cal rule- that's crazy!! Cooked fruit is still better for you than all the artificial sweetners (that make us crave sugar) that are in mullers etc! And a banana blended milkshake would be a great breakfast...
I used to chop a banana over my breakfast potato pancake so eventually I was like "what bloody difference if I fry it with the pancake?" as it would go all caramelised and delicious! If you're going to have it anyway... :rolleyes:

Jodie is right too- anyone committed to making a change would be careful... I guess I was a strange case as most people have tried dieting before. I'm 23 and had never looked at calories, attempted a diet or had a clue about nutrition! Had a go at my mum for leaving me so in the dark about this stuff while she would go around playfully teasing me for being fat as a teenager (?!?) but anyway... I came into SW not knowing that carbs were high calories or that a 100 cal muller was a pretty hefty amount to have 4 times a day! I would use them as my way of not noshing on crap instead... Especially late into the night. So for the newbies at least there should be a page in the book about how 'free' foods should be used carefully. To be honest- it all worked out in the end and I guess I learnt through this site as I got into the plan- phew!
Bit naughty but at he moment I am looking at post dinner snacks as whatever is lower cal that I fancy... I dont want a big filling yoghurt, I want a taste! So I am not bothered about having something worth 4 syns (80cal) rather than a muller.

OK sorry for making everyone hungry with tales of my take out :D boring day of food ahead, I promise ;)
Need to detox after that (and the previous dat where I had mini sugar binge... Only went over the days syns by a few but that is two days over synned in a row now), time for a low cal day before official WI tomorrow!

X

That Ian Watkins thing is horrific, read it in the news the other day and was completely disgusted! Ugh! Must bring it home even more as you actually met and hugged him! Scary to think what kind of people are actually out and about in this world... :sigh:

Anyway! Onto brighter things, Chinese sounded yummy. I had sweet and sour again the other week after not having it for AGGGEEESSSS and found our local place had literally halved the portions! Was quite disappointed at first, but after I'd finished realised either my appetite had shrunk or portion size is psychological for me as I genuinely felt like I'd had enough, Chris on the other hand was about ready to cry at the tiny portion! :D Anyway all this talk about Chinese is making me want another one...

I pretty much agree with what everyone has said about the mug shots/mullers. I guess SW don't want to make the plan too complicated for people. It's like you were saying how at first the plan works if you eat **** loads of mullers compared to burgers and pizzas etc, but after a few weeks surely the losses stop. Would explain the high number of new members I see who never come back after a STS or gain a few weeks in... Pretty sad really as SW should really focus more on the education side of things rather than pushing the 'unlimited' quantities thing.

Hope you told the client where to go when they asked to have their name down as director, the bloody cheek of some people! Bet you can't wait to get rid of her, lol. Try not to stress and just look forward to your Disney break :)

I think that's one thing Weight Watchers does that SW doesn't - teaches you portion sizes! I've done well and before I got ill I was still getting some losses even with my man sized portions, but I know it's something I seriously have to work on. I eat HUGE portions of food :eek: And I'm sure even if I only cut them by a small amount to start with it will help me out. Definitely something to work on.
But yeah, eating 5 Mullers or a Mug Shot or Pasta N Sauce as a snack every you're hungry can't be doing anyone any favours.

Hope you find someone to look after the kitties so you can go on your trip :) if I lived closer I definitely would. Used to be a pet sitter and I was pretty good ;) xx

Should I admit to have a cheat Sweet & Sour chicken today with a Mugshot (just 1) and some chicken breast?! But it was lunch.................

I just read Harvester, their chicken and bacon bbq stack is DIVINE and my mouth is now watering!

Going back to the 'free food' issue, I wonder if that's what the 1/3 superfree is all about. I realised early on that it is a way of filling you up for few calories so if I am having a meal without any s/f (like beans on toast) I will make sure I try and eat a piece of fruit first, that way I am less likely to over indulge with the naughtier stuff?! I'm currently staring at a milky bar trying to force myself to eat it......I want to eat it......but I'm not 'hungry'!

Just popping in to subscribe!

Someone at group asked if they just had to eat their SF really soon after their meal if it was just made up of Free food. My C's response was that they shouldn't force anything down if they weren't hungry but yes. I sort of disagree because I do think you should eat the superfree stuff first, or at least in equal forkfuls with the rest of your meal, otherwise you fill up on free stuff which can be quite calorie-dense. It works for me anyway!

Surely super free should be incorporated in to a meal the best you can? That's really odd of your C to say. I'm finding it difficult to even think of a meal where you wouldn't have superfree in anyway :confused: I've never been to a meeting and just do SW by myself, but surely it's part of your meal?! x

I totally agree that superfree needs to be eaten first! I saw someone on here write her meal out and it was totally without superfree but she was like "I will have a fruit salad later to make up for it!" ummm...!? Haha... The superfree is to minimize the other food while filling us for less calories and more nutrition (fibre keeping us full longer etc), as you guys said... So forcing it after is a really silly concept! That fruit salad is probably 250 cal of extra sugar when you are already full from your big bowl of pasta or whatever!

Jodie- dont feel guily having mugshots!! They are a fab way of having a quick lunch, it is more when people have one as a snack to fill a craving that I find silly... Because they are less syns then a packet of crisps- but they are filling and often way too much for a snack if you plan on having proper meals too- pack of skips would be less calories but people pick the free food instead!

Cheeky is right that portion control is a big part of things but not pushed much in the books etc...!

What about the fact that a pinch of rocket can take up a third of a plate while being totally unfilling, letting us gorge on more dense free foods? I think that is another flaw really :p

Ahh cant reply properly now but this is a fun discussion :D
X

Noooo don't feel guilty about the mugshots! I think we're all ranting at the overuse of big calorie free foods :)

I do think portion control is a big issue for me and I do eat proper man-sized meals :eek: Sometimes I work on it and sometimes I don't lol!

It is a really good subject. But I guess SW is like everything and has its flaws. It's about being smart enough to spot them and not being silly with food all the time, but I think it does also gives us a bit of space if we are hungry and feel the need for a big portion of something filling. Excellent for winter comfort food ;) Which is probably why I bought another tub of Smash today lol! xx

It's definitely nice to have a healthy pig out without feeling guilty- rather than being deprived and thus having an off plan binge!

I had a +1 today which was a bit annoying! Probably from either the chinese or generallyballnof the evening snacking rather than a proper meal. I've been a bit too relaxed about things this week, especially unmeasured Hex's!
Out tomorrow night drinking and dancing, will keep the rest of the day very low cal. After recovering from that I'm getting straight on with sorting out my stupid bed times as I really think that is key to sucess in my diet, waking up at 2pm and eating my only meal at 4pm is not great for all the snacking that ensues!
Have been doing lots of writing which has had me at home and wandering to the fridge a lot. Am at 41k words so hoping to reach the 50k goal by Sat night but *gulp* we'll see!!
X

Rubbish about the gain :( Sorry matey. It'll be gone soon tho!!
Naughty naughty not measuring Hex's ;)

It's so hard readjusting sleeping patterns isn't it? For me, trying to get up before midday when I'm not in work or have no plans is an absolute nightmare. I do really sympathise!
My food will need sorting out and planning a bit better when I go back to work because I'll probably be eating 3 meals a day instead of the two I'm used to. So will have to think more about Hex's and stuff.

Good luck with the writing target. And have a brill night out tomorrow.xx

Back