Sophie's Slimming World and Cinema critiques!

Summer- it really does feel good! I hadn't felt it before after lighter exercise... I feel so frigging motivated that I might even look into couch to 5k! I've NEVER been able to run before (tried once last year with G and nearly collapsed after 30 seconds with asthma! But we were running too fast methinks :p) and running has never ever appealed, but if I can push myself to give it a go maybe I'll love it!? Not making promises there hahaha
It seems like 5:2 losses can be quite slow like that, I guess if you are eating what you want on the other days and not showing any control whatsoever, it won't be AMAZING. The woman who wrote the 5:2 book I just read wast pretty excited to have lost 5lbs in a month (which is less than a first month of SW usually gets!) but the point of the 5:2 is how great it is for your body (weight loss aside!) and as Cheekychinchilla and I were talking about yesterday- it's really nice to feel like we can do something good for our body that is a step towards preventing all sorts of illnesses!

I just wrote a big post on CheeseTheif's diary and wanted to paste (and expand) this to explain my reasons for looking into 5:2 a bit (also was discussing with Cheeky earlier) as I'd like it here for future reference when I re-read my diary at any point, etc :p :
Basically I am really REALLY sh*t scared that once I get to my final target I'll get complacent and put it all back on, so I'm trying 5:2 to see if it's something I could do later that can allow me to have naughty days and then cleanse them out, if that makes sense? I realised over xmas/Paris that I don't have much self control once I start being 'half' off plan, suddenly it became MUCH harder- even after the festive period was over! I think I really need to focus on SW for a full 10 days (struggling through 100% days) after being slightly off plan, before it becomes natural and less painful again. So I'm hoping 5:2 could help as it'll give me that boost- I can do the half off plan SW, let myself slip up sometimes but keep my weight maintained with a fast day or two.
_

Was also saying about how research on starvation mode show's it's not something that happens from skipping breakfast, etc... Actually it takes around 72hrs of no food before your body starts munching muscle. Cheeky lost 5lbs after her 3 day fast in hospital, so just goes to show it can't slow down metabolism that quickly!

Anyway- today has been really interesting!! I woke up at noon (10hrs sleep- woop!) and decided to hold off eating as long as I could, as in the book it says this is best for cell repair...
It's been an interesting struggle mixed with pleasure :S I've had this light headedness that's actually quite pleasant, have been feeling quite sensitive and when I walk around I have this constant slight head rush sensation that's quite nice. The hunger has been annoying me- but when I have a cup of green tea it subsides for a bit, so I've basically been constantly drinking it!
At 4pm I was going to make food, but then I realised I didn't really need it, I didn't feel that bad and I wanted to see where this feeling would go. I've read that some people choose to do a 100% fast to detox the body (some people even do it every other day), so I know it's not dangerous... It actually sounds like a really good thing for the body!

The basic science behind fasting is that when you feed yourself normally, your body uses the energy to create new cells (we are made up of billions of cells), but when you fast, your body doesn't have the constant supply of food, so instead of making new cells, it repairs old cells! This is the formula that prevents diseases such as Parkinson's, various types of cancer, Alzheimer's, etc! Your body self repairs these broken cells that could otherwise accumulate to such a disease...

It is a really interesting head space to re-evaluate what 'hunger' is, the constant mental thought to put food into our bodies just because it is routine... To distinguish how much of hunger is actually hunger rather than boredom, thirst, anxiety, comfort craving...

Anyway, since I slept late and it was already 4pm when I thought about eating, I figured I could have an early night and then not eating the rest of the day wasn't as daunting :) it's actually kinda exciting... I'm SO reliant on food for comfort usually! Can't believe I'm even thinking this way, haha. I don't know if I'll do this ever again- maybe! But I will certainly be trying the proper 600cal 5:2 days more, now that I know I am not getting hysterical/dying because of not eating for this long so far. Hey, I might even cave later... I was looking forward to the beans on toast lol!

Hope no-one's worried I'm going pro-ana or anything, honestly NOT happening! But I do feel like I've learnt a lot about my body in just the few hours today- I've taught myself out of that fear of being hungry that I experience on a daily basis "better eat lunch now even though I'm not at all hungry, in case we don't have time when out later!!" etc. I also learnt just this week how great I can feel from exercise, which I can't describe how exciting that is- hope I can actually embrace that and get moving more!! I REALLY want to be fit for travels so I can manage hiking up mountains etc... I know this'll sound silly but I've always HATED walking just for the sake of it- I found it boring! But recently just the 30 min walk to the shops was so much more pleasant than it used to be when I was lugging the extra 7st around- it opened my eyes to the fact that walking can be OK! I can enjoy it?! So with that frame of mind I am going to try and do much more walking, I've lost my loathing for it! And hopefully doing that and exercise will prepare me for long weeks on my feet while traveling, get me fit to do some small mountain hikes G wants to do in Japan!

Eeee... I feel like a changed person from just the past week LOL. I'm even keen to do some exercise now, apparently a lot of people get on with their regular work outs fine on fast days, but it depends on the person. I think I'll take it easy today as it's a shock for my body, I'll get tidying my messy room (again!) instead. I really want a pleasant space to relax in for once too... I feel like yoga/meditation is really on the cards soon too, I want that zen feeling! :O

QUICK, SOMEONE FEED ME PIZZA BEFORE I TURN INTO A HIPPY LOL :D

Just remembered also how my old psychotherapist suggest I fast for 30 days to lose weight like he did and I was like "ARE YOU F*CKING CRAZY?!" LOL. Not that I'd EVER do that, but yeah, makes me feel better to think a medical professional was cool with me doing it (!?) hahaha

0 food fast day is coming to a close now; I'm exhausted, but the hunger has been tolerable (just about!) and I look forward to a biiig breakfast :D
Can't describe how much I've learnt about myself through this today- I recommend others give it a go just for the understanding you'll get about your body through it!
I can't believe I was so fearful of hunger before- I'd get peckish and panic! Make a huge meal...
The hunger I feel right now after not eating for 24hrs is no greater than the hunger I feel after delaying my lunch by a couple of hours when hungry! I always assumed that hunger would build and become intolerable, but it really isn't...
It has been strangely liberating to not be pottering around the kitchen looking for a low syn snack, thinking about what I want to eat or what would satisfy a craving... I have had no cravings all day! Just this hunger pang in my stomach, which has been quite easily temporarily settled by green tea each time (must have had about 20 cups - no joke! I have a cup that holds 2 cups of tea and I filled it at least ten times I think!)
I've not felt desperate at any point, like I wanted to cave... I'm so surprised at the whole thing! With this in mind I think the normal 600cal 5:2 fast days will be a lot easier for me now... Knowing that so much of what I consume is for comfort, but the 'pain' of missing out for one day is not that great.

I'm a bit bummed to think that this'll probably give me an inaccurate weigh in tomorrow though... It will probably be lower than it would have been, as there's less food in my body and more of what was already in there was probably burnt up (or would it already have been in digestive chambers? Hmm... I'm not great with this stuff!) which means that when I get back from Dubai, by next week's WI I'll be looking at a gain even if I'm 100% on plan (which I tooootally won't be ;)) so yeah, probably not great timing but oh well!

My next big test is going to be going to the cinema with no snacks ;) I'm going to challenge myself to do it with just a bottle of squash!!

I tidied up the bedroom today- sorted through bags of clutter and my stuffed dressing table draws that were overflowing with things I'd dumped in them! Room is all clear, clean, feeling good about all that! Need to sort through the rest of my clothes still but feels like some early spring cleaning is already out of the way :D
x

Hey matey!
Wow a 0 food day?! You didn't say you were going to do that ;)
Honestly though when the NHS decided to starve me it wasn't until the evening of my 2nd day that I started to really feel hungry. But by the time the morning came round that I could eat, I really wasn't that bothered and could have continued. I did really enjoy my breakfast though, but ate it very very slowly and felt like I enjoyed it more.
I'm terrible for eating quickly!
I've noticed since doing those 3 different fasts in hospital (96hrs in all!!) and with the 2 fast days I did last week, I actually feel bloated and icky. I have NEVER bloated in my life lol! Goes to show that my portions are WAY out - I know this anyway, but have never felt like I could do anything about it because I thought I NEEDED those portions. Well, now I know I don't ;) So once I'm in the swing of SW and fasting again I think I will look more closely at my regular SW portions and try and work on them a bit. If I can "just" eat Quorn fillets and veg and not die, I'm sure I could have less potatoes/pasta/rice. BUT I will not be cutting them out, before you try that one ;)

I'm really impressed with what you've achieved today. It's a very strange feeling being truly hungry isn't it? I agree with all the hippy stuff you've mentioned too. You feel good and you know you're doing yourself some good too :)

Enjoy breakfast tomorrow.xx

Well done on the no food day :) sounds like you learnt loads!

As an aside I am booking Orlando for September this year (also setting my target for the week I am going as my motivation) and I remember that you went there in the summer,I have never been so just wondering have you any hotel,park,food etc recommendations or any tips at all about going and what to do?thanks so much :)

-2 today puts my weekly loss at -4, so I've lost last weeks gain and am back to 13st8. I'm happy that the gain is off but sad thst it put me back two weeks of losing! Especially as I am so empty from food so my weight will naturally be a bit hifher by next WI. I kind hoped it was some sort of water gain that would be off by the mid week WI but I can only blame the naughties of last week really! All those cheeky drinks, the birthday cake and chinese!
Still, I'm back to my lowest which is great :)

I slept like CRAP last night! I read that fasting makes you hyper but I was exhausted so thought I would sleep easily nice and early... I guess 10.30pm was quite ambitious considering I only got up at noon though :p I lay awake for HOURS, even took two sets of sleepig pills to no effect! Probably got to sleep at 3am. Luckily no plans today so can take it easy, pack for Dubai.
I dont feel that hungry this morning, funnily... It has been 38hrs since I ate!

Bettyboop- Orlando, woohoo! You lucky thing :D are you going FOR the parks? We did as my dad planned the whole thing mainly with my baby sisters in mind. Maybe we should private message about this when I'm at my laptop as I'd have loads to say and dont want to bore everyone else lol!
One thing I will say though is bring an umbrella and buy a poncho (or buy one from a park) as every day there would be a sudden storm or two of torrential rain, lasting anywhere from 5 mins to 30! Then beautiful skies again! We went in July so might be different by September but it was pretty wild! X

Cheeky - that's a really good point actually... I definitely have an eyes bigger than belly thing and despite mynportions being much better, they still dont need to be the size they are! I also ALWAYS eat in front of the tv, I realy hate hearing other people eat :p so without fail the tv is on and I am barely paying attention to my food- that HAS to stop as I also eat way too fast and am not getting the same mental/emotional recognition of what I am eating that way.
Thanks for bringing that up, I'm going to work on being more aware of what I eat, smaller portions and try to eat slower!
I feel a bit overwhelmed thinking about food again today... We have stuff to use/cook up before I go away, I am in a place of "I deserve a treat for my fast day!" but also "I dont really fancy anything..." :S it is weird, but aI am starting to get the part everyone talks about with "not worrying about food on a fast day" being a nice break...!

Just found your diary and want to read it more thoroughly when time allows. By the way, your weght loss is brillant. :D

Last edited:
Congrats on the -2! If you are going to keep doing fast days why don't you always try to WI on the morning after a fast? Like the book says, you'll always be "empty" by that point and you're not cheating by weighing then :)

I completely, completely agree with you on how you feel during fasting. And there's a huge sense of achievement as well :D Still can't believe you went all out and just did a water/tea fast ;) But, it's really not that bad is it?
As well as feeling good about surviving the fast, I also agree that it's nice to really not be too worried about food! If it were practical I think I would do complete fasts like you because I found it easier to go without than little bits! I'm going to try and just have an evening meal on Thursday because I'm not in work and all's I'll be doing is having my hair done ;) See how that works for me!

I am in serious denial over my portion sizes. My meals could feed rugby teams :eek: I will work on it a bit, but I have a feeling I will always feel I "need" big-ish portions. Must work on that though, I really must!

There were some other things I wanted to say last night and I keep forgetting what they were! I will randomly post if I remember ;)

But congrats on today and hope you have something nice for you tea tonight when you feel like eating :) xx

Just found your diary and want to read it more thoroughly when time allows. By the way, your weght loss is brillant. :D

Thanks! Great to have you here, Doreen! My diary is loooong though haha, I wouldn't back track too much ;)

Hey Soph, glad the fast day has gone well for you. Sounds like you've learnt loads and really enjoyed the experience which is fab. Don't worry I don't think you're going all pro ana, not while there's sushi left in the world anyway! ;):p It's been really interesting to see how you've found it as fasting isn't something I've ever really thought about before. The science behind it is pretty interesting too, repairing our old cells rather than creating new ones, now I understand a bit more why it's so beneficial.

Well done on the -2 today. I know you didn't eat yesterday but from my human bio course I learnt food can take 6 days to make it through our system sometimes. Only around 8 hours in the stomach, but then it takes days to pass through the large intestine. So you might not have been quite as empty as you think. Must be nice to be back to your lowest weight again! :)

Have fun in Dubai, how long are you off for this time? xxx

Cheeky- thanks for the support (and inspiration- haha!) it's really funny how through the day I've been like "Yep, Kelly was right about x" so many times :p
It's not so much a sense of acheivement I feel, but a new knowledge that I hope I can apply to every day life now. I don't know if I'll follow 5:2 every week so wouldn't want to rely on the day after for WI (though would be a motivator I guess..!) but yeah, at the end of the day it's just a number on the scale and if that is going to fluctuate because of emptier tummy some days than others, I'll just have to get over it :p I realised that I get warded off exercising the day before WI because of fear of water retention from it- so silly! I shouldn't let WI prevent me putting effort in, lol. But anyway, fasting/5:2 represents to me a way of balance when I come to maintaining- being able to relax more generally and make up for it with a fast day or two.

Cheese Thief- you're so right :p sushi > anorexia LOL. I am SO looking forward to getting one of those tubs of sushi ends that are chopped up for £1.50 from gatwick yo sushi on Weds!!!
I never ever thought about fasting either- sounded like my idea of absolute HELL! But actually I recommend everyone tries the 0 food thing for a day, just to learn what I did- has been so enlightening, refreshing...! Though perhaps not on a stressy day as I have been snappy at G and felt extra introverty today and yesterday ;) has been good to do while taking it easy.

Interesting to hear about digestion taking so long! I knew it took long but... I guess since I did a big poo the day before and hadn't added any extra in, I assumed there'd be less sitting in my stomach. I did a huge poo again after WI though (depsite 36hrs of no food!) but I'd drank 2 litres already so thought that would probably affect it if I reweighed ;) also trying not to be obsessive like that haha! I'm not going to re-weigh now until next Mon and I may well do a 5:2 600cal day the day before again as a detox from all the Dubai naughties. Just going Weds-Sat (flying taking up two of those days) but saw this on groooupon and am SO EXCITED at the prospect: http://tinyurl.com/o6tauzn AED95 is about £15.50!! Scroll down and look at 'the deal' OMG! Camel riding, sand dune surfing, belly dance performance, fire dance, henna tats, food- all included! Just waiting to hear if there is free space on Thursday, if not might book it for when I go to Sharjah in a few weeks as it's not far from Dubai (like 5 miles) but this one actually picks up from round the corner from where I'm staying this time (Emirates Mall) SO perfect! SO excited :p and the photo ops...!! Pleeeaaaase let there be space available for booking!! :D

Today I did a kettleworx core work out despite not having eaten for 42 hours- my legs were so wobbly and a couple of times I got a slight head rush when standing up, so took it a bit easy for a few of the exercises, but otherwise it wasn't much of a struggle. My abs are going to ache tomorrow!!
I looked up some before and after pics for kettleworx (it's a 6 week plan) and they weren't that noticeable except one girl who did 11wks worth and WOW there was a difference. So 11 x 3 work outs a week = 33, that's my goal of how many of these to do! May well get bored of them soon though... But I've done 4.5 now (or 5.5... can't remember!) in the past 10 days, so feeling good about that :)

Afterwards I felt 0 hunger for about half an hour! Then I tucked into one salmon fillet (112 cal but I didn't eat the slimey skin bit so will call that 100) with a handful of spinach (10) and a drizzle of light salad cream (10)... Then suddenly I was full of a huge sugar craving!! Noooo! I'd so SO enjoyed not experiencing cravings! I had a cup of jelly (8cal), a lilt zero (11 cal) and theeeeen I was desperate for chocolate- ahh!? What's happened!? I swear it wasn't at all mental- it was this chemical craving in me, my tongue was tingling for it! So I reaaally slowly ate two caramel tea cakes (60 cal each) peeling the chocolate off bit by bit, nibbling the biscuit, letting the marshmallow melt on my tongue- was so nice :p never enjoyed something so simple so much. Didn't get the raised satisfaction from the salmon like expected, but the teacakes were divine!
So my cal count for the fast day today is: 260/600 so far. I think instead of another meal I might spend the rest on chocolate LOL! Why the hell has this happened? It's not like salmon would offset a sweet tooth :S weird.

Last edited:
THAT was one of the things I was going to post about LOL! Thanks Cheese Thief ;) Yeah food can stay in your digestive system for aaaaaaages! Not your stomach, coz it scarpers from there pretty quickly. But yeah, there's a LOT of gut for it to get thru so it does take a while. Esp if you're not particularly regular! Also fasting will slow it down a bit, or should you weirdo, because there's nothing to really stimulate it. When I was in hospital I pooped on the Monday after the gross glucose stuff and then nothing till Friday afternoon. So everything had been sitting in there for 4 days :jelous:

I can't explain your sugar cravings other than the small amount of protein wasn't enough for your body and your brain went I CAN HAVE FOOD NOW and asked you for something 'better'. I'm sure your cravings will get less the more practice you get at fasting :)

Yeah if someone were to confront me about being anorexia or something I might just laugh in their face while rubbing chocolate all over me ;) It's sad though that in the book a lot of people wouldn't admit they were doing fasting days for fear of what people would say. That's sad :( Especially as binge eating, binge drinking, smoking, etc is so socially acceptable, yet limiting your food twice a week would have the eating disorder police banging on your door?! Jeez!

I just heard on the TV actually that the men in the north west (by me ;)) are now shortening their lives by more than guys in the 3rd world due to obesity! That's pretty damn shocking!! And really sad too. Makes me want to help myself out even more. I seriously don't want to fuel a statistic like that!!

Impressive that the kettleworx workouts could have such a dramatic effect from 11 weeks of workouts. Nice! You'll be buff in no time ;) xx

Ahh the 11wks results werent 'buff' just noticeably more toned!

Just going to tot up the cals for today, so had gotten to 260 then add:
Half a peice of toast with jam - 75cal
Small packet milk choc buttons - 75cal
Small salad with spinach, few slices of cucumber and three slices of wafer thin chicken + tsp salad cream light - 50cal
Glass of kara milk with sprinkle of splenda and cinnamom - 30cal

Brings total to: 490
Woohooo! Midnight snack time, then bed ;) hoping some food before bed will ease the 'hyper from fast' effect as last night SUCKED.

X

Edit: brought my total up to a perfect 600cal with a tiiiny measured bowl of puffed rice, 100ml of kara milk and a tsp of golden syrup, yum! Big fry up tomorrow :D finally going to have those frigging baked beans lol! X

Last edited:
LOL @ the vision of Cheeky laughing manically and rubbing chocolate all over herself as the person who labeled her pro ana stares with mouth agape LOL!

Haha Summer, awesome!

Bet I'd eat more cheese than that if it werent for HExa measurements ;) Swiss genes and all... ;)

Hey!
Congrats for yesterdays spot on day :D I'm on a 500cal day today. You know, coz I'm short :p

I'd imagine the mental image of me smothering myself in chocolate was fairly amusing! It just winds me up when people jump on you for doing something 'extreme' that could actually be quite healthy. When all that other stuff I mentioned barely gets a raised eye brow any more.

Hehe I remember that funny thread from ages ago! Does anyone remember the photo's of 1lb of fat?! Really puts it in to perspective!
At the moment, because I've been rubbish I've currently lost a small bale of hay! Have carted enough of them around to know just how heavy they are lol!

Hope you're having a good day today. Did you get those beans?!x

Back