Sorting out my head

Principessa N

Minimins Addict
Over the last few days I have been seriously racking my brains about my inability to stick to a diet and all i've been able to come up with is that until I do then I don't have much chance of being successful.
How do you sort out a head with so many isssues with a limited support structure?
i'm lost, lonely, fat and fedup :(

Hi Nicki, I was in so much doubt in January about starting a diet; I thought I should do it, but had no confidence that I would lose any weight, or that I could continue long-term, but I decided I would look no further ahead than 1 week. No thinking about how much I have to lose, no beating myself up if I ate something "bad", no thinking "well I've blown it now, may as well get a takeaway and a bottle of wine" just keep on keeping on, and ignore the mistakes (after all, one week with mistakes might lead to a gain, but that just means one extra week til I reach target, and what's one week after all this time?). So far it's working (lost around 2.5 stone) and I have discovered that I never gave myself a chance to live my ordinary life without food/drink "treats" e.g. tired and grumpy, I NEED a nice (i.e. calorific) dinner and a glass of red or I will remain tired and grumpy. Not true - I can have my healthy but nice dinner, and wine if I count it, and feel fine (in fact, better because I can cope with life's issues just the same whether I am changing my eating habits or not - this was a revelation to me, and I hope it stays this way long term.) Sorry for rambling on...:ashamed0005:

I know you've seen my diary now and I hope that has helped you. As I said, there is a solution. xxx

Hi Nicki, I really feel for you as whilst I am doing well at the moment weight loss wise, I have stopped and started so many times over the years and for me personally I have never made it through the first week until now without say massive binges.

For me the key is always being in the right mind set sadly this is something that doesn't always happen when we would like for me it takes me ages to get into the right mind set, not sure why it just does. I think the difference this time was that I weighed in at 22 stone 5 lbs which for me is my heaviest and up until recently I had other than being big escaped all the usual health issues associated with obesity but suddenly my health went bad, I was so tired all day and all night, I couldn't do anything other than sleep, I started having trouble doing things I used to be able to do and I'm 34 yrs old yet I felt more like an unfit 84 year old. For me the key to why I am doing so well at the moment is motivation and whilst for years I have wanted to lose weight whats finally kicked me up the backside is my ill health, my sleep apnea in particular which is destroying my life, theres nothing like a health condition to focus you. I wish it hadn't taken feeling so bad before I got motivated but in my case it did. I have lost 15 lbs in the last 3 weeks and thats through healthy eating which is a new experience for me and I am already noticing a difference in my sleep patterns and need to sleep during the day has decreased, I mean I used to sleep basically as soon as I sat down even on the ruddy loo, it was a nightmare!

Your best bet is to focus exactly on why you want to lose weight and also not focus on how much but a bit at a time, I mean when I started at 22 stone 5lbs there was no point me placing all the focus on getting to 11 stone as that seems impossible so I just focus on getting through each day and each week, bit by bit and I have to believe that I will get there, I am bound to have slip ups, thats part of life but its more about how I handle the slip ups rather than throwing in the towel too easily which I have always done in the past.

I don't know whether you have kids? or someone in your life to help focus you, for me its my nieces, I have always done fun things with them but playing with them exhausts me and I want to be able to run around with them and not feel so tired so for me thats a motivation.

I felt pretty alone wise before joining this forum but this forum has helped me so much since I started my weight loss journey and I so hope it can help you, Em xx

Back